Log SMALLEST ATX CASE : CERBERUS-X (Complete build log)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well, Well, Well...
I'm a bit ashamed...:(

After several additional trials, I guess (fingers crossed) I got it.
Instability in WoT seems to be linked to low latency subtimings (others than 14-14-14-14-34)....I was so convinced that memtest64 was enough to test RAM OC stability...in fact not really.

Simply I ran with R7 1700X OC 3.9Ghz @1,4875v, GTX 1080ti OC and RAM with DOCP/XMP profile (3200Mhz, 14-14-14-14-34)...and it went smoothly on WoT.
I just realized yesterday evening, that all my previous test have been done with RAM with lower latency sub timings (validated with memtest64)...and I wonder.."what if memtest64 trial was not 100% crash proof?"..:D

I must admit that it's quite easy to validate overclocking for CPU (intel burn test, high mode) and GPU (3D mark time spy)...but for RAM overclocking, it's another level..:D

Reactions: owliwar

Ubermarshall

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 11, 2017
Marc, I run a windows 10 xeon based workstation with a gtx titan. Wot locks the system upon starting. This and many other glitches all seem to have shown up since the November update.
Perhaps your problems are not platform specific.

Cute cats btw.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Marc, I run a windows 10 xeon based workstation with a gtx titan. Wot locks the system upon starting. This and many other glitches all seem to have shown up since the November update.
Perhaps your problems are not platform specific.

Cute cats btw.
Thanks a lot.
Sure WoT november update had some impacts...but many were related to display (use borderless window seems the best choice).

I hope version 1.0 with their new 3D engine will be more stable. When I tried, it was gorgeous & stable. I suspect Wargaming put their best 3D engineers & programmers on this 1.0 release..:D

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Ooooops I've just read Final fantasy XV requirements...especially for 4K gaming :
Configuration 4K HDR :

• - CPU : Intel Core i7-7700 à 3,6 GHz ou AMD Ryzen 5 1600X @ 3,6 GHz ou équivalent
  • - GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
  • - RAM : 16 Go
  • - res 4K HDR @ 30 fps or 1440p @ 60 fps
  • - Storage 155 Go!!!
Definitely i need to increase storage of my sweet cerberus-x....155Go!! 155Go!!

Reactions: TheHig and owliwar

Ubermarshall

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 11, 2017
Obj 263 is getting nerfed into the ground.
Wg needs to well enough alone. The marketing department don't even play the game.

Have a look gamers nexus, they have been getting some strange results in their benchmarks of the new ff.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Obj 263 is getting nerfed into the ground.
Wg needs to well enough alone. The marketing department don't even play the game.

Have a look gamers nexus, they have been getting some strange results in their benchmarks of the new ff.
I always found this td branch a bit broken, especially su-122-54.

I have looked quickly @gamers nexus about ff xv benchmark analysis. I guess i miss strange results. I’ve a second look then

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well, I’ve finally finished my study on world of tanks (wot).

Indeed, low latency ram is making wot highly instable, even if i run memtest64 succesfulky for 2 hours..:)
However, however, even with far less agressive or even standard ram, wot is still crashing...but it occurs every 2-3 hours..:)
Let’s hope that version 1.0 (coming in march) will bring hd maps and physics but also great stability..:)

Ps : i decided to come back to xmp profile for my ram (3200mhz, 14-14-14-14-34)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
here is a nice replay of WoT, since my setup is more reliable on RAM OC..:)
Master badge in artillery..:)

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Clicker!! Seriously though nice match. I will probably play again at some point since I rage quit WOT a couple of times per year. The graphics overhaul will definitely get me to at least try.

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Clicker!! Seriously though nice match. I will probably play again at some point since I rage quit WOT a couple of times per year. The graphics overhaul will definitely get me to at least try.
I know what you mean, bad matchmaking, gold spammer, artillery, one shot by death star...lol
If you are losing fun, it’s time to have a break..:)

Whackamole!

I have been enjoying the newish light tanks, and the Yolo wagon (263).
Never artillery.
Try the missions, female crew members are great rewards..:)

Reactions: TheHig

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I am just about to compleco the t28 missions. Have a french, german and ussr crew :)
Grinding without premium is tough i have to say.
Yes you are right...i remember my first grind on german heavy (heading to e100) and medium (heading to e50m)..:)
It was in late 2012...:)
Personnally i’ve premium account, but the most effective way to grind is free xp.

Generally i’m playing when i’ve identified a tank i want to own..:) currently it’s m4 mle 1951 and 1954 i want to get..already unlocked m4 mle 1951...and i loved it as i love amx 30..:)

Ubermarshall

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 11, 2017
I started back in 2012. Took a two year break from the game.
I haven't made a start on the new french heavies yet. The tier 7 did not leave any good impressions the first time around.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I started back in 2012. Took a two year break from the game.
I haven't made a start on the new french heavies yet. The tier 7 did not leave any good impressions the first time around.
Lol tier 7 and 8 are painful...however tier 9 & 10 are pretty good..:)

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
Hey Marc!
Quick question/measure request; I'm looking into jamming a dual socket workstation board into the Cerberus-X, but am concerned about clearance and power supply placement.
I'd like to fit an Asus Z9PE series MB (12"x13"/305mm x 330mm), but could size down to the Asus Z9PA series (12"x10"/305mm x 254mm) if necessary.
Still undecided on air or CLC coolers, will likely come down to clearance and/or whether I go with Z9PE or Z9PA (Z9PA CPU sockets are closer together).
Obviously with such huge boards, an SFX PSU would be preferred, but as far as I know, not even Silverstones insane 800W SFX-L PSU has the required dual 8-pin CPU connectors. If someone is aware of an SFX/SFX-L PSU that DOES have two 8-pin CPU connectors, lemme know!
Instead, I'm looking at something like the Seasonic Focus Plus 750 Gold or better (140 mm (W) x 150 mm (L) x 86 mm (H))
I'd like to keep as much of the PCIe slots open as possible as I'll be making up for newer tech; GPU, NVMe add-in card, 10GB and/or Wifi NIC, probably SATA 3.0 RAID card down the line, maybe USB 3.0/3.1 etc.

Planning on dropping in a pair of 130-150W CPU's, so cooling is going to be a concern...

What do you think? would I be able to get away with a pair of quiet air coolers, or would I have to fit in a couple of CLCs? edit: The more I look at the ATX bracket, the more I'm sure that I will need to find room for CLC plumbing...
What about PSU and PCIe clearances?
Listed below are the various MB models in question:
Asus:

12"x10"
8-DIMM
Z9PA-D8
Z9PA-D8C

12"x13"
8-DIMM

Z9PE-D8
Z9PE-D8 WS
16-DIMM
Z9PE-D16
Z9PE-D16/2L
Z9PE-D16C/2L
Z9PE-D16-10G/DUAL

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Hi @AMv8-1day

In fact, putting such a monster in a cerberus-x is a challenge. But i think it’s doable in several way.

I’m not a expert in dual cpu mb, but for cooling, you can go with dual noctua u9s pointing to top for exhaust.

For motherboard size and power, you have several choices.

To keep a maximum of internal space, i will recommend to use dual dc-dc psu (like kmpkt dynamo 360w or hplex 400w). One will be connected to atx 24pins and 1x8 pins and second connected to second 8 pins and some gpu...this last is always on (wire plug between the 2 required cavities)
This trick will allow you to use FULL pci express with no additional restriction on size..:)

Second option is to use atx psu placed at the bottom, on side, but this will block most of pcie slots.

Last option will restrict on mb (using atx mb only) is to go front sfx-l psu + a dc-dc psu to power the second 8pins...:) This option will free all pcie, with a pretty amount of power available.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMv8-1day