Log SMALLEST ATX CASE : CERBERUS-X (Complete build log)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Awesome case!
Sure it is...first time i saw, I just realize it was the perfect compromise size/functions/power : ATX motherboard, full GPU, watercooling friendly, powerful & silent PSU compatible, Excellent cooling...and minimal size for ATX motherboard..:D

What else?!

Reactions: TheHig

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
@MarcParis Thanks!
I hadn't considered combining a standard SFX AND picoPSU or dual picoPSUs. That could work and still provide me with plenty of power.
I could probably even find a way to go with an internal AC-DC brick or two with some effort. Of course then I would have to find a way to elegantly mount and route two power sockets and cables.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the KMPKT 360 supports passthrough commands from a secondary PSU right? So I could combine with a second PSU while only having to worry about one power switch?
Power is always the stumbling block for me on these kinds of builds. I just want to blow the magic smoke into the box and go!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
@MarcParis Thanks!
I hadn't considered combining a standard SFX AND picoPSU or dual picoPSUs. That could work and still provide me with plenty of power.
I could probably even find a way to go with an internal AC-DC brick or two with some effort. Of course then I would have to find a way to elegantly mount and route two power sockets and cables.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the KMPKT 360 supports passthrough commands from a secondary PSU right? So I could combine with a second PSU while only having to worry about one power switch?
Power is always the stumbling block for me on these kinds of builds. I just want to blow the magic smoke into the box and go!
I’ve done such dual dc-dc psu in my s4 mini.
In any case you just have one power switch.

One psu is connected to atx 24 pin, while the second has a short wire on the pins to be always on. I’ve tested that setup, and in fact, while setup is off, second psu is not using noticeably power.

@Josh | NFC has made this demo :

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well, since World ot tanks 9.22, I never experienced crashes.

Moreover a new bios 6001 has been released (still need to test it)..:)

BUT most importantly, I managed to do one of my best (if not the best) battle in World of Tanks in AMX M4 mle 1951, on Lakeville map :
  • Mastery badge
  • 7k damage dealt
  • 3k damage blocked
  • Top gun
  • No consummable or gold amno used
  • Great & intense city combat!

Last edited:
Reactions: eutholevonik

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
...More build pics? Show off some more layout options?
I'd like to see some closer in shots of your picoATX setups.

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
@MarcParis Do you have any ideas for tucking away an HDPLEX Internal 300W AC-DC adaptor (or two)?
The more I hunt around for space to pack away a pair of DC-ATX PSUs AND a pair of AC-DC internal adapters, without blocking PCIe slots, while still managing good airflow over them, AND considering the $300+ minimum cost of going this route vs a single 600W SFX/800W SFX-L unit for roughly half the cost...
All for a build that will easily tax a 600W setup once everything is said and done.
I think SFX/L is going to have to be my route. Which brings me back around to "how the hell am I going to get two 8-pin EPS CPU connectors from a single SFX PSU!?!"
Of course I could go with the 600W SFX/160W DC-ATX setup, but then I would be getting the worst of both worlds with the burden of two power cables, an SFX PSU blocking things, AND an internal AC-DC brick.

So new plan!
I've seen a few mentions of people having success with splitting the single 4+4 pin CPU cable out with two 4 pin to 8 pin adapters.
The best adapter solution I've dug up is this StarTech EPS 4 pin to 8 pin adapter that combines a CPU 4 pin with a Molex 4 pin into a single EPS 8 pin. StarTech: EPS48ADAP
Has anyone had any success with this?

I realize that this is starting to get off-topic as it becomes more of a power discussion than a case discussion. I'll move the discussion over if I need to.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
@MarcParis Do you have any ideas for tucking away an HDPLEX Internal 300W AC-DC adaptor (or two)?
The more I hunt around for space to pack away a pair of DC-ATX PSUs AND a pair of AC-DC internal adapters, without blocking PCIe slots, while still managing good airflow over them, AND considering the $300+ minimum cost of going this route vs a single 600W SFX/800W SFX-L unit for roughly half the cost...
All for a build that will easily tax a 600W setup once everything is said and done.
I think SFX/L is going to have to be my route. Which brings me back around to "how the hell am I going to get two 8-pin EPS CPU connectors from a single SFX PSU!?!"
Of course I could go with the 600W SFX/160W DC-ATX setup, but then I would be getting the worst of both worlds with the burden of two power cables, an SFX PSU blocking things, AND an internal AC-DC brick.

So new plan!
I've seen a few mentions of people having success with splitting the single 4+4 pin CPU cable out with two 4 pin to 8 pin adapters.
The best adapter solution I've dug up is this StarTech EPS 4 pin to 8 pin adapter that combines a CPU 4 pin with a Molex 4 pin into a single EPS 8 pin. StarTech: EPS48ADAP
Has anyone had any success with this?

I realize that this is starting to get off-topic as it becomes more of a power discussion than a case discussion. I'll move the discussion over if I need to.
I guess I made good advancement on main Cerberus topic.

Forget dc/dc psu, just for second 8pin cpu.

In fact you have 2 solutions :
  • convert 6pins pcie connector to 8pins cpu using, as example, Akasa AK-CB051

• Use a splitter on 8 pins cpu to have 2x8pins (example on amazon)

As SFX (or compact ATX) PSU are using 12V single rail, there are no risks using that converters..:D

Reactions: TheHig

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Question, if the front supports 140mm fans, why isn't a front-mounted ATX PSU supported? Does it interfere with the motherboard?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well ATX PSU is 150mm wide, 86mm tall and 140mm+ deep....there is not enough space in front panel for it..;)

The6A

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2017
Hey Marc,

I have been out of touch on the forums and thought maybe I would just ask you where to look for info. I am planning a Cerberus-x 8700k and Sli 1080ti build. I have a ATX asrock MB. I want to do a full water cooling loop. Any things to keep in mind. Suggestions for pumps rads, psi, fans etc

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Hey Marc,

I have been out of touch on the forums and thought maybe I would just ask you where to look for info. I am planning a Cerberus-x 8700k and Sli 1080ti build. I have a ATX asrock MB. I want to do a full water cooling loop. Any things to keep in mind. Suggestions for pumps rads, psi, fans etc
Hi!

If you plan to go for sli, fully watercooled, here are some advices :
  • You will be a pionner, just take your time to study
  • Stick to reference or shorter version of GTX 1080ti (like zotac)
  • Stick to Sivlerstone SX800-lti psu, rear mounted
  • Please consider using Swiftech Apogee Drive II and swiftech MCR220-QP-RES-R2 (radiator+reservoir placed on bottom)
  • If using zotac short GTX 1080ti you might consider standard pump/reservoir combo...but double check clearance
  • Add a second 240mm rad on front
  • Tubing will be the key.
  • Good luck..:)

The6A

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2017
Thanks. Marc,

I will be starting to tackle this later in April after I return from a little vacay. I'm looking forward to posting the progress, and sharing how it goes.

I appreciate the feedback

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Here is my first Mastery badge since version 1.0 of World of tanks.
This version is far from being perfect (lag, absence of effects), but it's pretty..:)

Enjoy!

Reactions: TheHig and confusis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I continue with my World of Tanks series..:)

Here is, I guess, my best tier X battle vs other tier X tanks.
I'm playing WZ111 5A, that I truly appreciate the compromise : mobility, frontal armor and fire power!
TOP GUN (6 kills), 5,7k damage dealt, 3k damage blocked, 1628xp!

I hope you will appreciate!

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Wow nice work!

Well now that 1.0 is out and you keep posting these I’m going to reinstall.

I played a ton a couple of years and moved on. Time to give it another look.