Log Sliger SM550 - Compact & Quiet Gaming HTPC

Lallo

Trash Compacter
Jun 1, 2018
Well Ncase M1 has worse GPU cooling and slightly better cpu cooling compare to SM550...but it's 50% bigger..:)

For my point of view, AIO interest is becoming less and less interesting nowadays with automatic clocking (both GPU and CPU). Even a GPU water cooled at 50°c is not performing better than a GPU air cooled at 75°C (could be quieter if you have proper pump like D5 or DDC, all smaller pumps are noisy I find).

On GPU side, you could have cool & quiet card.
On CPU side, with zen 2 chips (especially up to R7 3800X), you don't need huge cooling to get good results (I was cooling my R7 3800X with Cryorig C7, stock settings with no issue).

True questions are :
  1. You mentionned that you are planning to travel a lot with your setup, then watercooling should be banned...one shock, one leak...system dead..:D
  2. What do you want to do with your setup? Gaming (if yes, which resolution and refresh rate?)
  3. What graphic card are you looking for? Even cool & quiet GTX 2080 ti (like Ventus) can fit SM550
  4. What CPU are you looking for? What is your need?

This is a personal quest..:D

ps : to repeat myself, as you mentionned you will travel frequently SM550 is a better choice than ncase...especially with AIO inside..:D

1. This is true. I have never had any watercooling in any previous build but I've thought about this fact and ofc I would like to stick to air cooling if the thermals and noise are good enough. I'm just afraid that they wont be in a SFF case.

2. Gaming mostly,so I don't need a crazy overclocked CPU to be honest.I'm thinking of buying the new rig after summer when the next GPUs are arriving (hopefully) and I'm aiming at gaming at ultrawide (1440p/2K) with 100fps.

3. Probably buy a GPU from the new lineup that is going to be released sometime this or next year!
4. I've been sticking to old 4690k cpus for a while but I'm thinking it is time to upgrade to some new Ryzen cpus. Dont know which ones yet but a mid-tier CPU I guess and then put more money into GPU :)

How does this case perform thermal and noise wise vs the Sidearmd T1 ?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
1. This is true. I have never had any watercooling in any previous build but I've thought about this fact and ofc I would like to stick to air cooling if the thermals and noise are good enough. I'm just afraid that they wont be in a SFF case.

2. Gaming mostly,so I don't need a crazy overclocked CPU to be honest.I'm thinking of buying the new rig after summer when the next GPUs are arriving (hopefully) and I'm aiming at gaming at ultrawide (1440p/2K) with 100fps.

3. Probably buy a GPU from the new lineup that is going to be released sometime this or next year!
4. I've been sticking to old 4690k cpus for a while but I'm thinking it is time to upgrade to some new Ryzen cpus. Dont know which ones yet but a mid-tier CPU I guess and then put more money into GPU :)

How does this case perform thermal and noise wise vs the Sidearmd T1 ?
Your goal is pretty reasonible for SFF...something like RTX2070 super/ 5700XT is already matching your expectations.
In terms of CPU, even an humble R5 3600 is clearly enough.

No bad choice between FormD T1 or Sliger SM550/560.
For my point of view Sliger is more rustic but accept taller GPU and is offering more consistent upgrades (new riser cable, panel, etc..).

Lucky

Cable Smoosher
Apr 11, 2020
Really nice work @MarcParis especially with all the changes and test - well done!

I'm considering to move from my Ghost S1 to the SM550, but I need one info you can probably provide :-)

Can you tell me how much space is left between the bottom fan or the bottom in general (which is directly below the motherboard) and the motherboard?

Thanks in advance :-)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Really nice work @MarcParis especially with all the changes and test - well done!

I'm considering to move from my Ghost S1 to the SM550, but I need one info you can probably provide :-)

Can you tell me how much space is left between the bottom fan or the bottom in general (which is directly below the motherboard) and the motherboard?

Thanks in advance :-)
thanks and no problem.

Your question is good..:) In fact height limitation is done by case frame itself.

I would assume you have around 28mm in height (not sure you have 30mm). After it depends what you are planning to do with it..:)

Lucky

Cable Smoosher
Apr 11, 2020
I thought about installing a slim radiator with two slim Noctua fans on top of it, but for that I would need 35mm :-/ . Saw a few pics with an installed Asetek 645 whre it looked like it could fit (the Asetek 645 itself is 35mm tall ^^)

Nevertheless thanks for the info :-)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I thought about installing a slim radiator with two slim Noctua fans on top of it, but for that I would need 35mm :-/ . Saw a few pics with an installed Asetek 645 whre it looked like it could fit (the Asetek 645 itself is 35mm tall ^^)

Nevertheless thanks for the info :-)
no issue..:)

Sure there is not enough place for radiator, even slim one at the bottom

Charlywtp

What's an ITX?
New User
Jul 14, 2020
Hi!

Last week i ordered this case and im a bit confused about the cooling. At first i thought the Asetek would be a nice cpu cooling for my r7 2700X, but i just realised my psu is sfx-l format and i guess it will be almost impossible to fit in both items. What about air cooling for a ryzen 7 2700x? I read that IS-60 is fine but you need to mod it. Any other recomendation? Thanks!!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Hi!

Last week i ordered this case and im a bit confused about the cooling. At first i thought the Asetek would be a nice cpu cooling for my r7 2700X, but i just realised my psu is sfx-l format and i guess it will be almost impossible to fit in both items. What about air cooling for a ryzen 7 2700x? I read that IS-60 is fine but you need to mod it. Any other recomendation? Thanks!!
Sure SFX-L and Asetek 645LT are not compatible in SM550.

IS-60 would be perfect fit for R7 2700X. Only mod is to add washers on SM550 side panel (simple, easy and inexpensive mod)..:)

After you can go for NH-L9A with 25mm fan (instead of 14mm).

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well, well, RTX Ampere (and upcoming RDNA2 Big Navi) GPU are considerably impacting SFF world with their high power consumption, heat generation & card size.
(something already started with Turing vs Pascal)

Positive point from it was to made up my mind related to my 2 main setups.

Cerberus-X :
  • Once again, Cerberus-X is proving its versability and future proof concept
  • This setup will be focused on my personal gaming (4K 60, ultra details, some competitive), family storage & office
SM 550 :
  • Love its compactness and 2.5 (2.6 with mod) Slots GPU and IS-60 compatibility
  • Perfectly suits TV setup, low noise emission even on 4K gaming load (don't need to use G-Sync on my LG CX)

First decisions from RTX 3080 release & my personal experience :
  • Motherboard, RAM and CPU (& cpu coolers) setups will remain unchanged. Even R7 1700X is perfectly fitted for 4K gaming with RTX 3080
    • Cerberus-X:
      • CPU : AMD R7 3800X OC 4.3Ghz
      • MB : Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero
      • RAM : 2x8Go G-Skill Flare-X, 3800 MTS (Samsung B-dies)
      • CPU COOLER : Noctua C14S with Noctua NF A12x25 (Top, Intake), NF A14 (bottom intake)
    • SM 550:
      • CPU : AMD R7 1700X OC 3.7Ghz
      • MB : Asus B450-I Strix
      • RAM : 2x8Go Corsair Vengeance LPX, 3200MTS (Samsung B-dies)
      • CPU COOLER : ID-Cooling IS-60 with Noctua NF A12x15 (Top, Intake) with flat head screws M3x20
  • PCIe Gen 4 on GPU or NVME Storage is not currently useable or used at all. It's only a nice function on paper nowadays
  • HDR gaming (tested on LG CX) content is not so convincing versus standard. Let's say, HDR is not changing at all gaming experience
  • High refresh rate is clearly not what I'm looking for. As early adopter of 144hz (back to 2013), I simply didn't find any interest in it. Basically I'm the total antagonist of "so called" competitive gamers playing at ultra low details at maximum refresh rate...
  • I noticed some gains using NVME SSD (SX8200 Pro), especially true while quick saving/loading in RPG
  • RTX 3080 (and upcoming enthousiast) GPU will be more and more power hungry...even 600W PSU (SF600) will start suffering (check comment on below video. Youtuber Dave Lee is experiencing hard reboot with SF600 Gold edition on Aida 64 psu test)

Thus, as a global conclusion, here is my current plan for my setup :
  • Cerberus-X :
    • GPU : currently GTX 1070, moving to Nvidia 3080 or AMD 6900K?? Wait for release of both (Christmas). Not yet decided if GPU needs to be compatible with SM550 (size)
    • PSU : currently modded SF600. Will switch it by SX800 LTI
    • m.2 SSDs:
      • Samsung 950 Pro 512Go (boot disk)
      • AData SX8200 Pro 2To (Gaming)
      • Samsung 860 EVO 2To (Storage and video rendering)
      • Currently none. Will move Crucial MX500 1To (Storage duplication) from SM550
  • SM550 :
    • GPU : currently GTX 1080ti. Will stay like that for a while
    • PSU : currently SX800 LTI. Will be replaced by modded SF600
    • SSDs:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 240Go (boot disk, Sata)
      • Currently Crucial MX500 1To. Will be replaced by another AData SX8200 Pro 2To (Gaming)
I will let you informed how things will happen..:D

Last edited:

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Power and size are not SFF friendly for Turing so far.. The xc3 from EVGA seems like the best bet for the SM550.

Dimensions
  • Height: 4.38 in - 111.15mm
  • Length: 11.23 in - 285.37mm
  • Width: 2.2 Slots

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Power and size are not SFF friendly for Turing so far.. The xc3 from EVGA seems like the best bet for the SM550.

Dimensions
  • Height: 4.38 in - 111.15mm
  • Length: 11.23 in - 285.37mm
  • Width: 2.2 Slots
Yes I know RTX 3080 XC3 is the only RTX 3080 compatible with SM550, with potential (still to be confirmed) Asus TUF (thanks to side panel mod)...:) (I'm tracking info since nda..;))

However to be limited to ONLY one RTX3080 is frustrating me a lot (scaring me a lot for all SFF case designed for 2 slots GPU...hopefully SM550 was designed for 2.5 slots..;))
Right now SM550 is fitted with MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 ti heavily overclocked and quiet...so moving to almost stock RTX 3080 that could be louder is worrying me. (I'm waiting for better reviews of XC3 than Jay2cents that just illustrates XC3 is performing a bit lower than FE model)

Right now all the cards are not equal, especially on wattage input (due to bios)

My plan is now the following :
  1. Get best GPU for Cerberus-X (Big Navi vs 3080)...I'm not really sure if I will choose a GPU compatible with SM550 (to move later GPU from Cerberus-X to SM550) (late 2020)
  2. Get best GPU for SM550 (2021-2022) or wait for rdna3 / Ampere successor or transfer from Cerberus-X (and get best gpu for Cerberus-X)
Let's see..:D

Reactions: TheHig

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
@TheHig Just to clarify my point of view, I don't want SM550 compatibility to be my main target on my next GPU choice for Cerberus-X, especially if only compatible GPU are underperforming (like XC3 only one overview/review is stated).

I like Gamer Newus or Hardware canucks video card, it's complete.

I'll triple check if Asus TUF could fit SM550 with my side panel mod...this RTX 3080 card is currently one of the best reviewed (on par and little ahead vs MSI Gaming X trio)

Reactions: TheHig

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Good news is about 6800XT reference card size : 48mm thickness...thus it's compatible with SM550..:D

Here is a potential upgrade path
  • CPU upgrade to R5 5600X (from R7 1700X)
  • GPU upgrade to RX 6900XT (from GTX 1080ti)
Once again, headaches to come.

• Haha
Reactions: Arboreal

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Headaches in a good way! Other than for your wallet!

Enjoy considering all the options and possibilities...

Megaman0025

Caliper Novice
Jul 3, 2019
@TheHig Just to clarify my point of view, I don't want SM550 compatibility to be my main target on my next GPU choice for Cerberus-X, especially if only compatible GPU are underperforming (like XC3 only one overview/review is stated).

I like Gamer Newus or Hardware canucks video card, it's complete.

I'll triple check if Asus TUF could fit SM550 with my side panel mod...this RTX 3080 card is currently one of the best reviewed (on par and little ahead vs MSI Gaming X trio)
Hi there could you explain or show a picture of the side panel mod you did? And did the tuf 3080 fit in your sm550 build? Thanks

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Hi there could you explain or show a picture of the side panel mod you did? And did the tuf 3080 fit in your sm550 build? Thanks
Sure, check this link (from my build log)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fitting MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X in SM550 (15th December 2019)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I analysed dimensions (& pictures) of TUF RTX 3080. Unfortunately I don't think it can fit an SM550.
Right now only XC3 from EVGA is compatible with SM550