SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

doogie

Trash Compacter
Nov 28, 2016
I've been building PCs since you could pick up a book entitled "Build your own 80286 IBM compatible and save a bundle". In far more recent years, I started taking much more time on my builds - making each one special, memorable, challenging myself in new ways. My office PC is a behemoth Caselabs SMA8 with custom watercooling and nineteen fans. I waited 2 months to get the case, and the build took weeks of assembly time.

But, it's still something that in my opinion most anyone with enough time to watch YouTube videos could do. It's a beast of a machine, but still lacks soul.

My S4 MINI Classic, on the other hand, not only challenged me in ways that no other build has done, it felt amazing to just hold the finished product in hand. I learned (well enough, anyway) to crimp my own power supply cables for this thing. I wanted it to be perfect. Nothing wasted. Maximum efficiency. Josh sets the bar high - it's quite a motivator.

It's clear that the SKYREACH 4 MINI sets the same tone, and reduces the modding required to wedge the hardware in - only leaving more room to personalize via that front bezel! I very much look forward to learning some new tricks with this product. Nicely done, man!

kevlar

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2017
1050ti is the max you can put in there with an internal AC/DC

So a ~200W power peak build is okay with both 160W on the DC-ATX and AC-DC side? I'm looking forward to trying out a brickless build, but I'm worried about potential issues from lack of wattage on the power supply end.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
So a ~200W power peak build is okay with both 160W on the DC-ATX and AC-DC side? I'm looking forward to trying out a brickless build, but I'm worried about potential issues from lack of wattage on the power supply end.
It will absolutely work, just don't push it with Prime95 and Afterburner or something like that. Easy way to trip the OCP. I'd recommend a T-Sku from intel and a 1050ti in that use case, maximum.

Reactions: kevlar

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
I've been building PCs since you could pick up a book entitled "Build your own 80286 IBM compatible and save a bundle". In far more recent years, I started taking much more time on my builds - making each one special, memorable, challenging myself in new ways. My office PC is a behemoth Caselabs SMA8 with custom watercooling and nineteen fans. I waited 2 months to get the case, and the build took weeks of assembly time.

But, it's still something that in my opinion most anyone with enough time to watch YouTube videos could do. It's a beast of a machine, but still lacks soul.

My S4 MINI Classic, on the other hand, not only challenged me in ways that no other build has done, it felt amazing to just hold the finished product in hand. I learned (well enough, anyway) to crimp my own power supply cables for this thing. I wanted it to be perfect. Nothing wasted. Maximum efficiency. Josh sets the bar high - it's quite a motivator.

It's clear that the SKYREACH 4 MINI sets the same tone, and reduces the modding required to wedge the hardware in - only leaving more room to personalize via that front bezel! I very much look forward to learning some new tricks with this product. Nicely done, man!
I had a similar route. I did three separate water cooling builds prior to my S4C and i agree there is just something about it. Don't get me wrong i love water cooling. But there is just something about the S4C. The soul of the case is amazing. I switch over to the NCASE m1 which i love as well, but something just pulled me back and i switch my build back into the S4C. I wish i could justify three pcs, but can only do two. Now i just need a SFF full atx case so i can move out of my raijintek thetis.

rsjo

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2016
I absolutely love what you are doing!!
Your passion, your commitment and your willingness to share and help others!

Im ready to pre-order come Friday for a new server build which will be awesome in the SKYREACH ! :)
Thanks again!

Reactions: Josh | NFC

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
So this basically fully supports brickless 1050ti and a 65w chip, would it work with say 1060 or mayyyybeee a brickless 1070 and a 35w chip? I’m super excited for this

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Checking in!

Won't have enough money to grab this one since I already paid for the classic. I'll do it brickless, without your new bracket *hmph*

Nonetheless, fully support your work josh.
Excited to see new builds people come up with this.

This is the first time I'm salivating watching youtube videos NOT about food.
Freaking hell - imagine 3 of these, stacked together vertically with aluminium spacers. One is your NAS with its little activity leds, one is HTPC with vol knob, ir and mini lcd display, one an understated linux vpn/torrent/home server. SICK.

matt172021

Case Bender
Oct 26, 2017
Hi guys, i'm kinda new in pc building and it so happened I wanted my first build to be SFF. I have been following the S4 mini (now S4M-C) thread for some time and have fallen in love with Josh's design, including the latest S4M! Well done! I'm so gonna pre-order one come friday.

Since I am new, I'm somehow struggling with the concept of psu setup in the S4M and how it can be brickless. Is there a quick guide somewhere of the kind of setup i should be expecting to power a 65W CPU and say a 1070, and a layman explanation of which component does what?

Am I correct to say KMPKT's dynamo is not standalone and has to be paired with a "DC-ATX" component? Where does the brick come into play?

Sorry for the dumb question.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Hi guys, i'm kinda new in pc building and it so happened I wanted my first build to be SFF. I have been following the S4 mini (now S4M-C) thread for some time and have fallen in love with Josh's design, including the latest S4M! Well done! I'm so gonna pre-order one come friday.

Since I am new, I'm somehow struggling with the concept of psu setup in the S4M and how it can be brickless. Is there a quick guide somewhere of the kind of setup i should be expecting to power a 65W CPU and say a 1070, and a layman explanation of which component does what?

Am I correct to say KMPKT's dynamo is not standalone and has to be paired with a "DC-ATX" component? Where does the brick come into play?

Sorry for the dumb question.
So currently you can get a dell brick and dc hdplex to power your rig. By brickless they mean you added the brick inside the case technically. Hdplex makes a 300w version that is paired with their dc-dc. You can head over to the hdplex site and take a look. There is also a build log of a brickless s4 on the forum in the build section. You could also go to the nfc website and under the blog section you can find it. KMPKT made it. Now I am not sure about his solution as I haven’t been following it closely yet. I know gury from g unique was also doing something special to handle this as well

Last edited:

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
@Josh | NFC well there be a limit on how many you can order on the launch date? looking to purchase 2!
He put a lot of investment into this case. And he plans on continuous production thus far from what I have been told. So I highly doubt there will be limitations. If anything he wants you to order a two or ten or thirty. Well whatever you wallet can handle.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
well count me in for one!!!

i would love a sfflab shirt. The design is great. I am also so happy about the mailing list. Would be amazing to get emails of new products and preorders opening. You going to push all your accessories to the sff lab site correct instead of ordering from two separate sites?

I was looking into getting SFFLAB shirts and a hat made...PlayfulPhoenix did a great job with the artwork and was super nice and wove in my Paladin Pink. I think he should get shirts made...but they need to be nice--like underamor brand shirts so I can actually wear them in videos and not have them get dirty instantly.

As for your second, important question. I would like for my customers to purchase everything all in one place. Right now that isn't possible...so for the time being all my accessories are going to be sold on nfc-systems.com/shop.

Hey Josh, you mentioned your new Sky Bracket is still in development in that video... could you maybe see about making it compatible with the Cryorig XT140 and the Prolimatech PRO-USV14, they are both 140mm fans (13mm and 15mm thickness respectively), your current Sky Bracket fits them but only if I use aviation snips to remove the "lips" they have for rigidity. I think the lips could be kept on a new model if they were made to curve around the 140mm frame just a little bit.

I'm sorry for the confusion. The SkyBracket and SkyBracket Duo are 100% complete and being manufactured, so for this run it's not possible implement your idea. However it is a good idea, and I will make note of it for the future. It would be nice to have something strong that also supports 140mm fans. Maybe using pliers to fold the aluminum instead of snipping could be a temporary solution. My old SkyBrackets are steel and are compatible with the SM4 so you could experiment with those if I have any in stock.

Will units sold to EU customers ship from EU as well (so we don't have to pay customs, VAT)? Otherwise I'm unsure of what you mean by "much cheaper for international customers". Not meant as a bashing, just curious :)

Unfortunately at this time we don't have EU distribution setup. So you will still need to pay VAT. Hopefully it will be cheaper now. What I mean was the postage cost has gone down by nearly 50% to EU customers.

Also, @Josh | NFC - I have a 400w G-Unique Arch Deamon that I was hoping to use - will this be possible (hoping we can a cutout to hold the G-Unique PSU Output plug)

I have one of these too. The C8 connector cutout is big enough for this to work, but only one of the screws can mount. There also will need to be a square notch for the molex lock modded into the MINI (or you could remove it from your connector). I am hoping that Gary and I can work more closely moving forward to make sure that his stuff will be plug and play in the S4M.

Biowarejack's answer is perfect but I wanted to add a thought. Look how far DC-DC and nano AC-DC powersupplies have come in the past two years. It's been incredible...I have no doubt that HDPLEX, KMPKT, and G-Unique will have internal products that fit in the current space I have that can deliver far more power way more efficiently. If you told me two years ago someone had a unit smaller than the pico 160XT with a brick near the same size that could power a 500w system continuously I would have fallen over from shock. If you told me that there would be a internal brick teeny enough to fit in my case I wouldn't have believed it.

The things you will be able to do in the S4M in two years will shock us all.

He put a lot of investment into this case. And he plans on continuous production thus far from what I have been told. So I highly doubt there will be limitations. If anything he wants you to order a two or ten or thirty. Well whatever you wallet can handle.

Yes please. Ten or thirty would be great. :D