SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
Finally got my cables done for the Eurocom unit. Hooked everything up once I got home last night, and did some quick testing. Everything seems to work great, and the system has yet to restart under moderate overclocking, like it would have with the Dell brick!

If anyone is interested in purchasing my Dell brick, let me know. As long as you don't plan to really overclock your parts, it's a nice cheap solution.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Clean up the cables a bit in my S4M

CPU: i7-8700K (set to Intel stock settings, no MCE)
MB: Asus Strix Z370i (all heatsinks removed)
CPU cooler: LP53 copper heatsink + Thermalright TY100
RAM: Corsair Vengence 32GB 3000
Storage: WD m.2 1TB
GPU: Zotac Mini 1080
PSU: HDPlex HiFi 400w DC-ATX+ Dell 330w AC adapter
Cables: Shortened cables

I’m happy with this set up now. I had a lot of problems with getting power to my machine. After trying 2 Dell 330w bricks (one from Dell, other from Amazon), a HP Voodoo 330w brick, a 1200w industrial power supply, running the system on two bricks, with one powering a 160w DC-ATX, and the other powering the 400w DC-ATX, we figured out that the 400w DC-ATX unit was the problem. HDPlex sent a replacement 400w, and it works likes a charm. In the meantime, because I was impatient, I purchased the Kmpkt 360+160mini combo, and ran my system for a few weeks that way. I also purchased a used G-unique 400w archdeamon, and got the system running that way as well.

Gaming temperatures:
CPU 50-60
GPU 70

Artificial torture temperatures:
CPU 70-80
GPU 70

Last edited:
Reactions: kulbida and Obelisk

bn.zg

What's an ITX?
Jul 12, 2018
Hi Josh, I just want to know if any off-brand AC/DC adapter is safe to use. I know that the Dell Adapter is the only recommended high-power adapter above 300 watts, but are there any alternatives that don't break the bank? Thanks in advance!

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
...but are there any alternatives that don't break the bank?

Josh has done a TON of testing with various setups and builds, and has made a post HERE about which of those setups he recommends. In that post, are some pretty inexpensive options that you could check out. However, it really comes down to what kind of a setup you're after though and what needs to be powered, as far as what options would be best for you, in your specific scenario.

Gaming temperatures:
CPU 50-60
GPU 70

Artificial torture temperatures:
CPU 70-80
GPU 70

Those are some pretty decent temps. Once I break down and get a 1080 Ti Mini, I'm going to swap out the thermal paste on it and my cpu, and use some Grizzly Conductonaut. I'm hoping for a solid 5-10 degree drop in temps, with that. As everything sits now, with my 8400 and reference 970, I typically hit the following numbers while gaming;

CPU- 60-65
GPU- 75-80

Last edited:

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
In all my idiocy in gathering the parts for my S4M build I ordered small WiFi antennas for 4€ yet with an over the top 25€ shipping shipping fee, only to find out they have male SMA connectors and the motherboards wifi card as well. So I was wondering if a reverse polarity SMA male- SMA female adapter would work between them?

Thx

Reactions: Obelisk

dealwithitx

Caliper Novice
Nov 15, 2017
In all my idiocy in gathering the parts for my S4M build I ordered small WiFi antennas for 4€ yet with an over the top 25€ shipping shipping fee, only to find out they have male SMA connectors and the motherboards wifi card as well. So I was wondering if a reverse polarity SMA male- SMA female adapter would work between them?

Thx

I'm not an expert myself, but the guy on the video turned male into female by snapping the male body part off.

Last edited:
Reactions: LFO

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I've got mine here, the 2dbi one. Does 5GHz, I only lost ~5db in signal strength indoor across one wall. It's just that I hate external antenna with wires? Especially the shark fin type that asus supplied with their mobos

Woxys

Chassis Packer
Jan 20, 2016
Hi there,
I'm new to S4, i knew about it's existence but i never liked the idea of an external brick. Today i saw the live stream built of the brickless system with GTX 1050ti and i begun searching and documenting and found something that confuses me, there are multiple versions of this case? From what i understood this is the last version. I don't mean to be disrespectful to you guys but i cannot find a list of changes from the last version. Is this just a revision? is it a new case in the same family? What are the changes? If there are different cases what is best for what usecase? I would very much appreciate if you can point me in the right direction to shed some light and clarify my confusion. Looks like a very nice case!

Reactions: Josh | NFC

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
The video on the first post of this thread has all the changes from the older S4 MIni Classic to the current Skyreach 4 Mini.

Well worth the watch if you're trying to decide between both cases.

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Link to that Livestream of the brickless 1050ti build please?

And, funny enough, I was coming in here too ask about Corsair Vengeance LED Ram fitting the S4M... And, somebody above posted photos with that exact RAM in the case. :) . Much appreciated, @Nanook! :)

Reactions: Nanook

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Out of curiousity are you providing your YouTube subscribers with notification of these livestreams or just rolling them at random? I for one discovered the last one completely by accident as it was starting. Might be worth finding a way to leverage a larger viewership.

Reactions: Obelisk