SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Gents, quick question about temps, if I may. I want a small, portable rig for media consumption and older games (Diablo III, StarCraft 2 - along with some emulation of consoles, which is why high single-core speed is valued). I currently have two options, and one of the bigger deciding factors is going to be heat generation - or dissipation, I suppose. (That, and power consumption, for power supply selection... The joys of an sff build. :)) Ultimately, my question is : how well does the S4M (and the Classic too, if anybody here can speak to that) let out heat? Or does it heat soak much? I'm just wondering if my open bench results will carry over, or if they're irrelevant, or somewhere in between...

Option 1 : 7350k at 4.8ghz (1.30v). I use the OCN x264 test to measure temps - open air, with the NH-L9I, highest I saw after an hour was 65, and usually around 59-60. This is cheaper, lower power consumption and still totally meets my needs - and increases odds I can go brickless too, which I'd prefer. But, although two cores are plenty for me right now, that might change later...;

Option 2 : 8350k at 4.7ghz (1.315v). On same cooler, same test, temps were roughly 20 degrees higher. I'm ok with 80, but 85 is kinda getting uncomfortable for me, and higher than that is just too much for my comfort - hence my question about the S4M ventilation.

Thanks for taking the time to read all that! :)

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Gents, quick question about temps, if I may. I want a small, portable rig for media consumption and older games (Diablo III, StarCraft 2 - along with some emulation of consoles, which is why high single-core speed is valued). I currently have two options, and one of the bigger deciding factors is going to be heat generation - or dissipation, I suppose. (That, and power consumption, for power supply selection... The joys of an sff build. :)) Ultimately, my question is : how well does the S4M (and the Classic too, if anybody here can speak to that) let out heat? Or does it heat soak much? I'm just wondering if my open bench results will carry over, or if they're irrelevant, or somewhere in between...

Option 1 : 7350k at 4.8ghz (1.30v). I use the OCN x264 test to measure temps - open air, with the NH-L9I, highest I saw after an hour was 65, and usually around 59-60. This is cheaper, lower power consumption and still totally meets my needs - and increases odds I can go brickless too, which I'd prefer. But, although two cores are plenty for me right now, that might change later...;

Option 2 : 8350k at 4.7ghz (1.315v). On same cooler, same test, temps were roughly 20 degrees higher. I'm ok with 80, but 85 is kinda getting uncomfortable for me, and higher than that is just too much for my comfort - hence my question about the S4M ventilation.

Thanks for taking the time to read all that! :)
I can give you my temperature readings from gaming yesterday evening, along with my build info:
i7-8700K (delid, dialed back to Intel stock settings)
Asus Strix Z370i, all ornamental heatsinks removed
M.2 drive, top location, no heatsink
LP53 heatsink only
TY-100 fan, blowing cold air down to LP53
Zotac Mini 1080, stock Zotac settings
KMPKT Dynamo 360w+160w combo
Dell 330w ac adapter

I set my S4M upright, with the switch to the top (CPU above GPU). There is quite a bit of heat coming out of the top edge of the S4M passively.

I also play older games such as Diablo 3 and Starcraft as well, the most taxing game so far is Overwatch (High presets + 1440p 144hz)
CPU temperatures during Overwatch: low 50s
GPU temperatures during Overwatch: low 70s

Ambient room temperature is about pretty warm at about 83f / 28c

I am very happy with these settings and temperatures.
The CPU can get up to 80c with Small FFT in Prime95, but have not experienced thermal throttling / shutdowns.

BIOS settings using information from:

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Awesome, fantastic info, thanks. I should also mention I'm planning on running the Mini horizontally when I'm at home (would purchase feet) and that both of my processors are delidded.

veganzombiez

Caliper Novice
Jan 13, 2018
I haven't been able to find anything about mounting 2.5" platter drives with a 1080, so I'm going to assume that's a terrible idea, yeah?

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH YEAAAAHHHHH BOOOOYYYYYYYYYSS! Guess what I got today??? My Eurocom came in! Now, I just need to figure out where the hell my multi meter is, so I can figure out which pins are which in the connector.

*EDIT*
Aaaand, I can't use the Eurocom right away. The extra GX16 (aviation) connectors that I bought aren't anywhere near the size of the female connector that comes with the included cable. I'll have to chop the end off, and rewire it. Lame....

@Josh | NFC I couldn't seem to find your Youtube video on wiring the GX16 connectors/ Eurocom unit. Did you take it down, or am I missing something?

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH YEAAAAHHHHH BOOOOYYYYYYYYYSS! Guess what I got today??? My Eurocom came in! Now, I just need to figure out where the hell my multi meter is, so I can figure out which pins are which in the connector.

*EDIT*
Aaaand, I can't use the Eurocom right away. The extra GX16 (aviation) connectors that I bought aren't anywhere near the size of the female connector that comes with the included cable. I'll have to chop the end off, and rewire it. Lame....

@Josh | NFC I couldn't seem to find your Youtube video on wiring the GX16 connectors/ Eurocom unit. Did you take it down, or am I missing something?

It's in one of the MINI build videos with the 1080ti. Not sure which one. But yeah, you need to chop the end off the Eurocom cable and it is a pain in the butt.

Peace

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
But yeah, you need to chop the end off the Eurocom cable and it is a pain in the butt.

Yeah... Incorrectly, I assumed that the female connector size was going to the the same as the additional connectors that I purchased. Oh well. Time to re watch some of your videos. lol

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
Hey guys, put in my order for a new S4. I'll be passing down my classic to a good friend of mine who currently has a Corsair 250D (my old rig) that he has on the floor because he has no room on his desk. I told him how much smaller it will be now and he almost doesn't believe me haha.

Any who, I also put in my order for a carbon fiber front plate with skyslots and I just received my new samsung 970 2tb m.2 drive and I'll be benching my 1tb SSD and 2tb HDD that where previously in my S4 with the plans to use the bracket and noctua fans to cool the zotac 1080. I'll be deliding my 7700k before I put that in replacing my current 7500 but I'm still worried that my 330w dell brick won't like a 1080 + i7 7700k.

So is there anything else I can do to "improve" my S4? Other than new hardware? My previous rig that was matx was rocking 32gb of ram but I seriously doubt that my 16gb will fall short any time soon.

I was thinking about snagging a eurocom but I think I'll wait for the next line of GPUs to come out.

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
So is there anything else I can do to "improve" my S4?

Honestly, the S4 Skyreach is an amazing case. Josh did a great job with it, and to "improve" it any further, would be to simply impart your personal tastes or interests into it like I have.

Also, as far as being able to power a 1080 and a 7700k, I'm not so sure that it would do well, but Josh has done a ton of setup testing and he would have a better idea. He does have some recommended builds that he has specifically tested, that you could compare to in order to see what sort of gear he has made work in which setups. In all honesty though, if you plan on delidding the CPU, then it sounds like you'll more than likely want to do some overclocking. If that's the case, I would say make the jump to the Eurocom. I posted a link to the eBay seller that I got mine from, previously. They had a handful of them (at least ten), and while their eBay profile said they were located in Canada, the package was shipped two or three day service from New York.

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
Honestly, the S4 Skyreach is an amazing case. Josh did a great job with it, and to "improve" it any further, would be to simply impart your personal tastes or interests into it like I have.

Also, as far as being able to power a 1080 and a 7700k, I'm not so sure that it would do well, but Josh has done a ton of setup testing and he would have a better idea. He does have some recommended builds that he has specifically tested, that you could compare to in order to see what sort of gear he has made work in which setups. In all honesty though, if you plan on delidding the CPU, then it sounds like you'll more than likely want to do some overclocking. If that's the case, I would say make the jump to the Eurocom. I posted a link to the eBay seller that I got mine from, previously. They had a handful of them (at least ten), and while their eBay profile said they were located in Canada, the package was shipped two or three day service from New York.

Nah. Overclocking isn't really my thing. I just got a good deal on the k. And according to those builds a lot of people go with a 1080 and 8700 with the Dell brick so I should be fine.

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Another question please, if I may : I haven't been successful in finding a picture of an S4M with the front USB cutouts populated. I know Josh included that as a possibility with the new S4M (there's a square cutout in the front backplate that I recall him saying was intended for specifically that purpose) but I haven't seen anyone use it. How does it end up looking?

Thanks!

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Another question please, if I may : I haven't been successful in finding a picture of an S4M with the front USB cutouts populated. I know Josh included that as a possibility with the new S4M (there's a square cutout in the front backplate that I recall him saying was intended for specifically that purpose) but I haven't seen anyone use it. How does it end up looking?

Thanks!

Like garbage!

XD

I feel like I have a picture of it somewhere in one of my videos. But I can't quite remember where. :|

It only works with a Pico-style DC-DC distributor.

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
I found a bunch of USB 2 ports with connectors from previous builds in my storage and actually think I will use a couple skyslots on the top, the sides or wherever I see fit to get some additional USB I/O. Also still need to figure out what GPU to get and how to get a small firewire card into the unit as well. One thing I'm already sure of is that the case will be pretty crowded!

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
@Josh | NFC
Did some testing of the Eurocom unit, and I was curious if yours makes a clicking sound about every second for a few seconds, after you turn it off or unplug it. I'm guessing that it's discharging the capacitors, since it seems to store power, but wasn't sure if the audible clicks were a normal thing. The readout screen also flickers some, during this time.

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@Josh | NFC
Did some testing of the Eurocom unit, and I was curious if yours makes a clicking sound about every second for a few seconds, after you turn it off or unplug it. I'm guessing that it's discharging the capacitors, since it seems to store power, but wasn't sure if the audible clicks were a normal thing. The readout screen also flickers some, during this time.

Yeah there is some relay noise on all the units I've used. Totally normal.

Peace

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I set my S4M upright, with the switch to the top (CPU above GPU). There is quite a bit of heat coming out of the top edge of the S4M passively.
:
this reminds me @Josh | NFC I gotta email you about that skyslotted DINOC piece thats gonna go over the new vent hole I'm going to cut on my S4M-C to add a one-of-a-kind CPU exhaust vent... :)

Last edited: