SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

Andrew.J.Vigil

Average Stuffer
Nov 28, 2017
Thanks! But josh is right, you may have to tune your voltages like VCCIO if you dont have good silicon. I remember that I actually lowered my temps a bit by using some nicely tuned BIOs mods from @ceski here https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/s4-mini-classic-s4m-c.96/page-209#post-68531 and here https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/s4-mini-classic-s4m-c.96/page-209#post-68579

In my case my 7700k is on an all-core 4.5Hz setting in the BIOS, and its temps were never in the low 30's, always low 40s. BUT once I turned Intel's speedstep ON, and C-states ON, it downclocks itself to as low as like 800MHz when its sitting idle or 1600-2.5GHz when its just web browsing, temps can go as low as 35-36c, thats INSIDE THE S4M-C with side panels ON, it's beautiful. a full 6-7c below the low 40s ill otherwise get at the desktop or web browsing.

And when I applied the BIOS mods by @ceski the temps went down slightly even more, by like 2-3c if i remember correctly yup

And note I always keep XMP on and the LPX modules I got have that 4000MHz XMP profile so they stay solid at that rate without problems... MAYBE it's time i do a round of CPU temp testing on my 7700k, to see if XMP4000, vs whatevere the stock speed is, makes a temp difference? :D OOOOH IM EXCITED TO TRY THIS
I'm still a newbie as far as under/overclocking goes, but what are C-States and Speedstep? And what exactly does disabling/enabling these do as far as effects to CPU performance aside from reducing clock speed under idle? Is it a worthwhile thing to do as far as getting better temperatures in an S4M or S4M-C without losing too much performance? Any ither thoughts on this?

Last edited:

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
Got my mini in the mail today! I don't think my evga 1070 sc quite fits though... ;)

It'll be a while before I can finish this build, trying to wait for ryzen 2 and gtx 2080.
I'll probably cave and get a 1080 or 1080 ti before then if they ever come in stock again. The zotac mini cards took ~8 months after the launch of the 10 series to come out and I'm not willing to wait that long for a zotac 2080 mini...
The cat does not approve. Lol.

Reactions: br3nd0

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
I'm still a newbie as far as under/overclocking goes, but what are C-States and Speedstep? And what exactly does disabling/enabling these do as far as effects to CPU performance aside from reducing clock speed under idle? Is it a worthwhile thing to do as far as getting better temperatures in an S4M or S4M-C without losing too much performance? Any ither thoughts on this?

Speedstep reduces clock speeds based on current system load. So at idle the CPU will downclock to lower speeds (typically about 1Ghz, though this will vary depending on the CPU). This will reduce voltage, power draw and temperatures.

C-states shut off parts of the CPU again based on system load with C0 being core on and in use. More parts of the CPU start to shut off as the it enters higher C-states (up to C8 I believe).

A good guide to the advantages/ disadvantages of c states is here;

https://uk.hardware.info/reviews/7029/c-states-more-power-efficient-cpu-idle-states-explained

Andrew.J.Vigil

Average Stuffer
Nov 28, 2017
Speedstep reduces clock speeds based on current system load. So at idle the CPU will downclock to lower speeds (typically about 1Ghz, though this will vary depending on the CPU). This will reduce voltage, power draw and temperatures.

C-states shut off parts of the CPU again based on system load with C0 being core on and in use. More parts of the CPU start to shut off as the it enters higher C-states (up to C8 I believe).

https://uk.hardware.info/reviews/7029/c-states-more-power-efficient-cpu-idle-states-explained
Thank you so much!

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net

very informative post!

Also @Andrew.J.Vigil note that my CPU is also undervolted in the BIOS by a -.05v offset stable to achieve such low temps inside the S4M-C. :) It's also stable when c-states and speedstep are both ON and when theyre both OFF & the 7700k is at that all-core 4.5GHz state. Remember that I'm delidded, and I may have decent silicon, so your under-volt may vary.

Vcaps26

Caliper Novice
Jan 24, 2018
Hmmm, on the Asus mobo with disabled MCE on an 8700, I noticed that the Asrock Z370 gaming ITX board auto OC's in silent mode (when needed during gaming) much cleaner (lower voltage) and higher speed (seen moments where it jumps to 4600mhz) than on the Asus Z370i. Figured if anyone was looking, that could be a huge deciding factor, besides compatability with the LP53 as a added bonus

Tmsveen

Case Bender
Feb 21, 2018
Hi everyone .
New to SFF and in general to building. Fed up with my old Macbook from ca 08’ which cannot be upgraded anymore. looking to make the jump for a S4m with a entusiast game/productivity build.

Quick mounting question. My plan is to Wall Mount under my (folding) desk. i have about 8,5cm depth before folding joint on table.
Anyone with tips on Best Mount ? Problems with airflow by nearly blocking right side ?

Option 1: Fixed vesa slim Wall Mount by vidabox

Alternatively a Shelf bracket onto which it could stand with Bracket on top tonsecure
Thanks for the help

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Standard PCI screws are #6-32 x 1/4"

This is correct, but for the S4M they are M3 x 5mm.

S4M-C: #6-32 x 3/16" (1/4" would work fine)
S4M: M3 x 5mm (6-8mm would work fine)

All the screws in the S4M-C are standard, all the screws in the S4M are metric, due to popular request. I'd have preferred not to change the standard but it happened.

Peace

Andrew.J.Vigil

Average Stuffer
Nov 28, 2017
very informative post!

Also @Andrew.J.Vigil note that my CPU is also undervolted in the BIOS by a -.05v offset stable to achieve such low temps inside the S4M-C. :) It's also stable when c-states and speedstep are both ON and when theyre both OFF & the 7700k is at that all-core 4.5GHz state. Remember that I'm delidded, and I may have decent silicon, so your under-volt may vary.
Thank you so much. I'm delidded on an L9i and temps are truly fine under gaming load, using a 7700 non-K at the moment so I'm not sure how much I can play with in the BIOS as it is. Regardless this is all super helpful for the future and I am always happy to try new tricks to reduce temps just that much more. :) Thanks guys!

Reactions: CubanLegend

Obelisk

Trash Compacter
Nov 21, 2017
Out of a VC-45 or an LP53, both with an NF-A9x14, which would cool an undervolted i5-8600k better? I.e. better temps and lower fan speeds.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
Does anyone know if the night hawk memory sticks fit in the mini? I could only find ram height from one review site and they had it listed at 44mm.

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Mine were the same height (from the bottom of the pins to the top of the heatsink). I did a test fit today and it fits with a few mm to spare)