SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
Currently the most powerful GPU that I feel confident recommending to customers along with a 65w CPU is the is the 1050ti. If you know what you are doing, have alot of patience, and don't mind making changes on a per game basis, you might be able to get away with a 1060...but its not something I can SAFELY recommend.

But this is the way I look at it...there is alot of competition in the space among really talented people. I am betting on there being some really awesome solutions coming out in the near future. :)

Thank you Josh. Unfortunately 1050ti is just a tad too underpowered for my needs. 1060 is really bare minimum for me. I guess I'll have to use an external brick for now until a suitable internal AC-DC unit that fits is released :)

Paired with an external Dell 330W brick, what DC-DC unit would you recommend for a 1060 and a 65W CPU? Is HDPLEX 400W required?

As a side-question, which of your accessories will be on SFF LAB in time for tomorrow's release of Skyreach S4M? Or will all accessories be sold via your NFC website? :)

The most you can reasonably do is a 200 or 250W custom 2x4 12V PSU. These require a G-UNIQUE plug in unit. This means a 1060 and a detuned cpu. Or a heavily throttled 1070.

You can theoretically Frankenstein two 200W PSU for total 400W internal. But that is not a reasonable build.

It'd be lovely if someone does a custom AC-DC project where we contract Meanwell to do a long 2" PSU that can provide 400W internally.

Not very comfortable with doing that kind of hacks myself. Even though I love SFF, I am not a very good modder :p So yeah, I'll go with the Dell 330W brick :) Would love for that long 400W internal AC-DC PSU to be a reality :D

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
It'd be lovely if someone does a custom AC-DC project where we contract Meanwell to do a long 2" PSU that can provide 400W internally.

I think with the past cooperation between hdplex and NFC that we'll have a good chance there will be a higher wattage internal brick that will fit in the S4M. I'm not sure if I want to go through the trouble of making my own meanwell PSU and DC plug in system or just wait... If only hdplex could share some info

Reactions: Biowarejak

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Unless I'm out of the loop, I wouldn't hold your breath for a larger S4M friendly brick. From what I know, the good folks over at HDPlex are currently working on another very exciting project that is likely using most of their time and resources.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Unless I'm out of the loop, I wouldn't hold your breath for a larger S4M friendly brick. From what I know, the good folks over at HDPlex are currently working on another very exciting project that is likely using most of their time and resources.

I just wish they provide 12V units. Reduces the amount of complexity in their DC-DC board. Could easily source the many 12V PSU available and just provide the connectors, enclosure, and warranty.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016

Maybe that exciting project is a larger S4M friendly brick? :D

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I broke the website, you should not have been able to take orders.

I thought I disabled payments, but PayPal and Apple Pay orders slip through. I will make adjustments / refunds (A4, M1) within 24 hours.

Last edited:

Curvas

Caliper Novice
Nov 17, 2017
S4M orders will be honored, extra shipping paid should be refunded, b/c shipping should have been lower for most countries.
Hey my credit card payment was declined (which I don't understand), so my friend help me using apple pay, it worked.
But he ordered a silver one, any ways to make a change to black? Or should I just buy another one? Thanks.

Morris

Caliper Novice
Aug 9, 2017
Thank you Josh. Unfortunately 1050ti is just a tad too underpowered for my needs. 1060 is really bare minimum for me. I guess I'll have to use an external brick for now until a suitable internal AC-DC unit that fits is released :)
Have you looked into the T series of processors? I have an i7 6600t with 1050 TI SC and only measure about 100 watts while gaming at 1080p.

I am planning on trying a 1060 to see if it’s safe to use with my HD Plex 160 (and if it fits).

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
When do the S4M pre-orders go live?... It's now the 24th... I need my fix

NOV 24, let's shoot for 8PM PST.

I'm still testing shipping calculations, I need some time because we didn't anticipate starting KMPKT order at the same time as NFC. We have to change the shipping calculation logic.

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Is there a total amount limit?

Ish...

There is, but if you guys order all of them at this point there is literally no reason I can't order more, as they are being manufactured now. Before if you missed pre-orders they were already ordered and on their way to me. You only need to worry if you wait several weeks to order...like January... because Chinese New Year everything will shut down.

did preorders go up secretly? the preorder button where you'd select your black or silver now is greyed out and says "coming soon"

I dunno, I'm not in charge of the button, but I did say make it sometime Thursday night. Like I said though, don't panic and feel like you need to stay up late. Literally anytime this week is fine.