SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I mean the answer is pretty simple...the most powerful ITX AMD card is the R9 Nano, but it is absolutely impractical and sits somewhere between a 1060 and a normal 1070, so it's not viable for you.

The second most powerful ITX AMD card is the Sapphire Pulse 570. Decent card but runs pretty hot and as far as performance is concerned sits around the 1060...but even as an AMD/Sapphire fan I would choose the 1060 for better thermals.

The only reason I would consider an AMD GPU for an ITX build would be if I had a really nice FreeSync monitor. The only reason I would consider an AMD GPU for ATX is if I could find some 390s for cheap and crossfire them.

AMD is letting its fans (i.e. ME) down big time.

I begged Sapphire to consider making a smaller 570 Nitro under 8", because then you could at least have a really nice cooler and fans, and the 570 is a nice performance bracket. Its just their dumb pulse card runs way too hot for that budget heatsink they use. Really dumb. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who owns like six Sapphire T shirts and hats and wears them in public.

My 5c.
The RX 570 PULSE ITX runs that hot even when undervolted? If so, Full Circle will most likely become a full workstation build with ECC RAM and a Pro WX5100 instead. I don't think that a RX 560 will pull off 1080p well enough to be viable.

Reactions: Biowarejak

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017

winterbladexx

Average Stuffer
Sep 30, 2017
Do you think it is possible to mod this case to fit a C14 power connector? Hoping to use Hdplex AC-DC solution internally.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Do you think it is possible to mod this case to fit a C14 power connector? Hoping to use Hdplex AC-DC solution internally.

Not really no. I had a couple prototypes with this but it's just not worth the huge size increase needed. You can always wire a C8 connector directly to your 160 AC/DC or to the old C14 harness.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I’m assuming this requires soldering. Tbh, I’m not too confident doing any electrical mods. Any other options for a brickless build?

You could just mail me your C14 connector and I can solder the plug onto the C8 connector. That way you can just plug it into your AC/DC.

I do full builds too if you want me to get everything wired up in your whole system and running tip top.

winterbladexx

Average Stuffer
Sep 30, 2017
You could just mail me your C14 connector and I can solder the plug onto the C8 connector. That way you can just plug it into your AC/DC.

I do full builds too if you want me to get everything wired up in your whole system and running tip top.
I don’t have any parts yet. I’m just planning everything right now. Looking to buy your case pretty soon. Thanks!

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
In light of the Intel security flaw, I'm thinking of switching my coming S4M build to AMD instead.
Unfortunately, there are no Ryzen CPUs that are 35W like the Intel I was planning. The lowest is 65W. Paired with the GTX 1060 Mini which is 120W TDP - that's 185W.

For power I was planning to use the KMPKT Dynamo Mini which is rated for 200W, paired with the Dell 330W so I *should* be fine.
Just wanted to run this by everyone else what they think of it, mostly the power consumption :)

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Parge

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 8, 2015
Oh it'll be fine. Remember those are absolute max wattage requirements. There will hardly ever be a situation where your CPU and GPU will be running at 100%.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Tanax

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
In light of the Intel security flaw, I'm thinking of switching my coming S4M build to AMD instead.
Unfortunately, there are no Ryzen CPUs that are 35W like the Intel I was planning. The lowest is 65W. Paired with the GTX 1060 Mini which is 120W TDP - that's 185W.

For power I was planning to use the KMPKT Dynamo Mini which is rated for 200W, paired with the Dell 330W so I *should* be fine.
Just wanted to run this by everyone else what they think of it, mostly the power consumption :)

I ran a 65w chip i5 8400, with evga 1060 with kmpkt dynamo and during heavy cpu loads like raiding in wow it would hard reset every time. You may want to go with hdplex400 or de tune your system.

Last edited:

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
I ran a 65w chip i5 8400, with evga 1060 with kmpkt dynamo and during heavy cpu loads like raiding in wow it would hard reset every time. You may want to go with hdplex400 or de tune your system.

How did raiding in WoW make both your CPU and GPU reach 100% power consumption? :eek:
What kind of power brick did you use?

Even if they both max out at 100% at the same time, that's only 185W which, since the Dynamo Mini is rated for 200W, should be within the limits of the system. In theory that is..

On another note, will AMD CPU + Nvidia GPU be a good combo?

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
Genuine dell 330. I can make it crash anytime I pleased. Even disabling mce wasn’t enough to stop the crashes, but disabling both mce and xmp was. But at that point why have a z370 board with 3200mhz b die ram. I just installed hdplex 400. But 65w tdp doesn’t mean that’s its max draw, that’s just a thermal dissipation rating. But yes Ryzen and nvidia works really good.

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
Alright. I'm biting the bullet and contacting SFFLAB about editing my order to also add the Dynamo 360. That will get me the maximum of my current AC-DC solution, which is 330W. That should be fine.

Does anyone know how long SFFLAB response times are?
Maybe it's better to just put a new order in but would prefer to get them shipped at the same time in the same package.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Alright. I'm biting the bullet and contacting SFFLAB about editing my order to also add the Dynamo 360. That will get me the maximum of my current AC-DC solution, which is 330W. That should be fine.

Does anyone know how long SFFLAB response times are?
Maybe it's better to just put a new order in but would prefer to get them shipped at the same time in the same package.

From what I have been told it's better to put in a new order because the KMPKT products do NOT ship with the MINI for lots of reasons. That will be faster I think overall for you and I don't want any delays.

Reactions: Tanax

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Genuine dell 330. I can make it crash anytime I pleased. Even disabling mce wasn’t enough to stop the crashes, but disabling both mce and xmp was. But at that point why have a z370 board with 3200mhz b die ram. I just installed hdplex 400. But 65w tdp doesn’t mean that’s its max draw, that’s just a thermal dissipation rating. But yes Ryzen and nvidia works really good.

How did raiding in WoW make both your CPU and GPU reach 100% power consumption? :eek:
What kind of power brick did you use?

Even if they both max out at 100% at the same time, that's only 185W which, since the Dynamo Mini is rated for 200W, should be within the limits of the system. In theory that is..

On another note, will AMD CPU + Nvidia GPU be a good combo?

I definitely would take kittysox's advice and situation under consideration, Tanax. I also would balance it out and say that I've not experienced resets with a 65w CPU and a 1060 (and I have done at least six builds), but I only ran conservative memory modules and did not employ XMP.

If you want to be safe, then yes, go with the HDPLEX 400, but I think you can make the Dynamo Mini work for you. I do believe in the "silicon lottery" especially with power supplies.

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017

The 35W i7 variants are essentially just underclocked versions of higher TDP processors. Since all AMD Ryzen CPUs are unlocked there is nothing stopping you from underclocking one until it has around the same TDP as a 35W CPU. *As long as you're willing to tinker around with it.

Additionally, for anyone deciding which GPU to stuff into their system I would highly recommend an Nvidia card over an AMD card specifically because they have higher performance per watt. That being said if you're going for a high end card like a GTX 1080 Mini be ready for the coil wine D:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
From what I have been told it's better to put in a new order because the KMPKT products do NOT ship with the MINI for lots of reasons. That will be faster I think overall for you and I don't want any delays.

Shipping is going to be free anyways and it would certainly keep the administrative end of things cleaner on our end if you just order the Dynamo Mini separately as I won't have to refund, repurchase etc. Thanks!

Also just as clarification, a 65W chip and GTX 1060 pulls more than you're probably thinking as the 65W and 120W numbers everyone uses are average draws and don't account for momentary peaks (<50ms). Furthermore, those aren't the only two components to consider when calculating wattage. As an example:

Intel i5 8400W --> 65W (higher under specific loads)
Z270 Chipset --> 6W
GTX 1060 6GB Founder's Edition --> 122W max average (143W peak)
Other stuff (M.2, Mouse/Keyboard/WiFi, SATA HDD) --> 10W

Conservative load estimates for your configuration is right on the 200W mark with a very reasonable chance you are having < 50ms peaks that are in excess of the 220W overcurrent protection set on the unit. Also consider that unless you are running a Founder's Edition GTX 1060 (very unlikely), your GPU numbers will be higher. I obviously don't want to quash the market for my products, but I also want people to be aware of the real limitations of the unit before they purchase.

With that being said, I would consider undervolting to give yourself some headroom as well as considering a slight down clock on both your GPU and CPU if that doesn't stabilize you. The reality is you likely won't notice a perceivable difference (especially in WoW) with a 5% reduction in performance, but you will definitely notice no hard resets.

Last edited: