SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
@Josh | NFC I saw your short video on properly installing the Noctua L9i for the intel cpus, but looking at the amd version(the L9a) the mounting positions don't look square, meaning I don't think I will be able to rotate it like you did with the L9i. Which means the heatsink fins will be facing my ram.

Edit: the mother board I plan to use will be the ASUS ROG STRIX B350-i Gaming m-ITX motherboard.

Last edited:

Wasim

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2017
@Josh | NFC I saw your short video on properly installing the Noctua L9i for the intel cpus, but looking at the amd version(the L9a) the mounting positions don't look square, meaning I don't think I will be able to rotate it like you did with the L9i. Which means the heatsink fins will be facing my ram.

L9a is wider. This video explains it.

Edit: The article states "Noctua NH-L9i works with both socket 1151 and AM4"
http://tekeverything.com/noctua-nh-l9i-vs-nh-l9a/

Last edited:

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017

It works with either, as in, if you get the adapter it will work, and the adapter makes it so you can only install it one way. It's because the AM4 mounting holes are not square, but the intel mounting holes are square.

Reactions: Wasim

seto

Caliper Novice
Nov 26, 2017
got a bit of a xmas bonus this year so i'm thinking of treating myself to either upgrading my chipset and mobo for my build or just saving the cash for some bigger and better ram in the future. So the question is should i stick with a i7 7700k or should I upgrade myself to a i7 8700k? PS. i hope to run my SkyReach 4 Mini mostly for gaming/VR and watching 4k tele/movies. Thanks in advance! PPS. if any of you live in San Francisco or the Bay Area and like beer, I may be hosting a lan party / tournament soon through my beer company.

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
@seto Rumor is that the 9700k will have 8 cores and 16 threads. Of course this is just a rumor but waiting 6 months or so to find out and skipping the 8th generation may be worth it. That being said, cooling that thing might be challenging in an SFF case...

Reactions: seto and Biowarejak

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017

@Wasim The problem is, if I install this CPU cooler the correct way, the fins will be facing my ram, therefore dumping all the heat from the cpu onto my first ram slot.

I'm gonna look for a different cooler, as I don't want the computer to get too hot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017
you have to swap the fan out for a low profile one and it will fit. I used an akasa slim 80mm

if you are using ryzen then the noctua cooler will be fine, I have one on my 1700 now and its really cool

Wasim

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2017
@Wasim The problem is, if I install this CPU cooler the correct way, the fins will be facing my ram, therefore dumping all the heat from the cpu onto my first ram slot.

I'm gonna look for a different cooler, as I don't want the computer to get too hot.
I agree it does not solve your problem. You should check out Zalman CNPS2X. It does a good job with the temps ( Josh tested it ). I bought it in addition to L9i but didn't have a chance to test it yet.

Wasim

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2017
@Wasim That cooler looks great! except for the part of putting the mounting brackets on, it looks relatively painless to install.

Looks like AM4 bracket is not included with this cooler by default, you will have to buy one separately (which could be a bit of pain).

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017

Get a 65w TDP CPU or lower and you won't have to worry about heat. Heat is only a problem if your trying to stuff hardware in the case it really wasn't designed for.

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
Get a 65w TDP CPU or lower and you won't have to worry about heat. Heat is only a problem if your trying to stuff hardware in the case it really wasn't designed for.

@Sean Crees The build I'm using is in my signature. Its a 65w CPU, but I still don't like the idea of the heat ejecting onto my ram. I think if I can get the Zalman cooler to work, I will use that.