SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

mgilang

Caliper Novice
Oct 15, 2017

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
thanks for the explain josh. i'll order soon.

my build will be : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/B4zbFd
based on www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/ , it will consume 227 watt
the question about power, if i use hdplex 400w dc atx, do i still need a Dell adapter 300 watt? can i just use 65 watt adapter to power all of this?

also i see hdplex have 80 watt ac-dc https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-inter...-19vdc-output-for-intel-nuc-and-thin-itx.html
maybe this can be solution for brickless
The adapter is what is providing the power for the DC-ATX so... no. You would have a 400W HDplex only getting 65 watts, which isnt enough to power that build.

mgilang

Caliper Novice
Oct 15, 2017
Thanks for the response Craxas

i plan to use KMPKT Dynamo Mini 200 DC-ATX, + HP brick 230w, will this power my spec?

spec :
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9a 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($38.11 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($199.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Mini Video Card ($159.89 @ Amazon)
Total: $986.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-13 04:31 EST-0500

Reactions: lac29

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
So with the lack of a 2.5" front bay I thought I would just get an external usb blu-ray burner and be done with it. Especially since I only use the drive to rip audio CDs and occasionally back up my blu-rays. I was browsing newegg's listings today and noticed this. Its an external blu-ray drive with a dac combined. Being an audiophile, this peeked my interest. While integrated sound cards aren't abysmal, They usually aren't great. Although, Asus has done a recent bang up job with their latest board that has the sound card on a riser card(with the M.2 slot). I will be looking for reviews on this thing. So far reviews on Newegg have been positive.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Thanks for the response Craxas

i plan to use KMPKT Dynamo Mini 200 DC-ATX, + HP brick 230w, will this power my spec?

spec :
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9a 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($38.11 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($199.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Mini Video Card ($159.89 @ Amazon)
Total: $986.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-13 04:31 EST-0500

I saw a bunch of answers, and they were all correct, (because there are multiple ways of doing things)

Your original plan is the best solution for your build. You do NOT need the Dynamo 360. The Dynamo Mini will power your setup absolutely perfectly. The HP 230 should work, I don't have experience with that brick so I don't know how tough it is, but it is far over spec for what your system draw will be. I am estimating you will be pulling 125w from the wall based on my benchmarks.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
So with the lack of a 2.5" front bay I thought I would just get an external usb blu-ray burner and be done with it. Especially since I only use the drive to rip audio CDs and occasionally back up my blu-rays. I was browsing newegg's listings today and noticed this. Its an external blu-ray drive with a dac combined. Being an audiophile, this peeked my interest. While integrated sound cards aren't abysmal, They usually aren't great. Although, Asus has done a recent bang up job with their latest board that has the sound card on a riser card(with the M.2 slot). I will be looking for reviews on this thing. So far reviews on Newegg have been positive.

That is cool as hell and an amazing idea, might pick one up myself. Not badly priced either considering what a decent DAC costs.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Wasim

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2017
@rfarmer How was your experience with Z370N motherboard ? I bought it because it has dual ethernet and dual M.2. Have you tried overclocking your cpu ? If yes, how far did it go ? vrm temps ? I tried it briefly to test the new components in the open, for some reason pcie-slot temp reached 100+ ( under stress test on stock cpu ).

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
@rfarmer How was your experience with Z370N motherboard ? I bought it because it has dual ethernet and dual M.2. Have you tried overclocking your cpu ? If yes, how far did it go ? vrm temps ? I tried it briefly to test the new components in the open, for some reason pcie-slot temp reached 100+ ( under stress test on stock cpu ).

Overall I am pleased with the motherboard. I have been able to hit 5.0 GHz at 1.35v, VRM temps are very good 47C during stress testing at that OC. My only complaint are the hybrid fan headers which will only run my 2 X 120mm 3 pin fans at full speed. My previous motherboard, Gigabyte Z170, would run them in voltage control at 1000-1800 rpm. I have tried all the BIOS settings and tried the system software but they only run at full speed. Not that big a deal just used some low noise adapters and I am getting reading to switch to a MI-6 case and will only have PWM fans in that, the PWM work fine.

Reactions: Wasim

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Thanks for the link @Nightblade I didn't look at the description closely enough the first time and thought it was just a Blu Ray player, but it is also a writer. Blu Ray writers are around $100 so that makes it a really good deal. Really might have to get me one of those.

Isometricy

Cable Smoosher
May 29, 2017
Hello, Josh and people of the forum,

I'm building a system with an i5-7600k and a GTX 1070 Ti and as far as I can tell an HDPLEX 400W in combination with a Dell power brick is the best PSU solution (recommendations or corrections are welcomed). Can anyone point me towards a specific power brick? I just read a post on the S4M-c thread about a Dell brick not powering a system it should be and someone suggested it might be a knockoff. I found this site to be the cheapest source that a simple Google search is able to find BUT DISCLAIMER! These products are without a doubt knockoffs and the whole business is shady as hell (If someone has experience with this site please share your findings). On reputable sites, the price for the brick seems to be 109€, which annoyed me as I had calculated my total cost with the prices that I found initially (knockoffs).

Thanks for reading, Iso

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
Defiantly bad on me for not reading. Ordered both a black and silver as I don’t want to rob the switches from my current s4-c’s the new s4m doesn’t require the deep switch does it? I loathe anything that lights up in this insane age we’ve found ourselves in.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Hello, Josh and people of the forum,

I'm building a system with an i5-7600k and a GTX 1070 Ti and as far as I can tell an HDPLEX 400W in combination with a Dell power brick is the best PSU solution (recommendations or corrections are welcomed). Can anyone point me towards a specific power brick? I just read a post on the S4M-c thread about a Dell brick not powering a system it should be and someone suggested it might be a knockoff. I found this site to be the cheapest source that a simple Google search is able to find BUT DISCLAIMER! These products are without a doubt knockoffs and the whole business is shady as hell (If someone has experience with this site please share your findings). On reputable sites, the price for the brick seems to be 109€, which annoyed me as I had calculated my total cost with the prices that I found initially (knockoffs).

Thanks for reading, Iso

Hello, Isometricy! I just finished this post in the S4M-C thread, and I think it belongs here too.

---------1080ti-------

FIRST CHOICE:
HDPLEX 400 + Eurocom 780

PROS:
  • Safe, certified, highly tested, rock solid stable.
  • This setup runs very cool with even an i9 and has plenty of overhead for safe overclocking
  • Least amount of coil whine
CONS:
  • Very expensive
  • Difficult to mod connectors for Eurocom
  • Noisy before replacing Eurcom's fans
  • Bulky wires (better with Skywire cables) and install, takes up lots of room in MINI
  • 2nd most bulky hookup
SECOND CHOICE:
G-UNQIUE 450 Kit (Arkangel + Modded Brick)

PROS:
  • EASY to install!
  • No fan noise
  • Tons of room inside case!
  • Could be perfectly neat if output cables reversed (Please, Gary?)
  • Reasonably priced
CONS:
  • Not certified, use at own risk and be thankful to Gary for being an awesome modder!
  • Power brick runs STUPID hot
  • Minor coil whine (in brick and plug in unit)
  • Very hard to get one made (long waiting list)
  • 1st most bulky hookup
-----1070 and 1080 systems----
HDPLEX 400 + Genuine Dell LA330PM160
  • Dell 330 is readily available and works well.
  • Buy the 60ish dollar grey market DA330 bricks at own risk for 1080. These can work OK for 1070 systems.
G-UNQIUE Kit
  • Sames cons as above, but can be a good choice based on the pros
  • Make sure to tell Gary you are ordering for a MINI!
-----1060 systems----
Dynamo Mini + Dell LA330PM160
  • Super neat install; even better than the G-unique due to modularity and sensible cable orientation
  • You can use the 60ish dollar grey market DA330 fairly stably. I still recommend the genuine article.
-----1050ti systems----
FIRST CHOICE:

Dynamo Mini + Dell LA330PM160
  • This is my first choice because it is prime for an upgrade down the road
SECOND CHOICE:
Pico 160XT KIT (with 192w Adaptec Brick)
  • Second choice only because it is not easy to upgrade/hookup for bigger GPUs
  • Inexpensive! (under 70 bucks for the kit!)
  • Pico 160XT can easily power a 1070 system, but requires dainty soldering.

---------------------But what about the Dynamo Duo?-------------------
The Dynamo Duo (Dynamo Mini + Dynamo 360 + AC/DC Power Brick) offers some really interesting possibilities. This combo should not be written off for advanced and creative builders. It is not on my list for a few reasons:
  • Complex solution for advanced builders (many configurations and possibilities)
  • I need to do much more testing. I never recommend power solutions until I have thoroughly tested and purchased many copies.
  • Currently is the most bulky NFC MINI power solution.
There are plenty of pros, and this is a PSU combo I am quite interested in. I'm not going to list them here now, but I can say that this is a solution I am considering for larger builds for my customers instead of SFX-L PSUs. The idea of powering my mods with a modular system where I can spread out the components intrigues me greatly. This is also the most small form factor power solution once you want to really start pushing the wattage. When I first started using this combo I thought it was a little silly, but that is because I was seeing it as a MINI product. Once I started applying it to larger SFF builds and even ATX builds, I fell in love with it, and I have some interesting projects planned with it. KMPKT is also fixing to do something pretty epic in a MINI with this combo, and if he can pull it off I will be even more impressed.

Hope this helps some of my new customers

Last edited: