Power Supply SilverStone SX700-LPT - 700W SFX-L Platinum-rated

Thunderschnozzle

Caliper Novice
May 29, 2016
Yeah, I though that the "fan not shutting off after the load drops" statement was suspicious too. I've never heard of a fanless mode for a PSU failing to reengage once the load drops again.

By the way, could Newegg's Extended Replacement Service Plan mitigate somewhat the short warranty period on the PE-750 (and yes, I understand that will cost me another $30).

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
By the way, could Newegg's Extended Replacement Service Plan mitigate somewhat the short warranty period on the PE-750

I really can't say if that's a good idea or not, I've never used their extended warranty.

The Silverstone SX500G is an example of this in certain cases

Yes, it and the SX600-G end up that way but it's not by design. They're supposed to shut back off.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
What is taking so long ?!?

It's normal, I can't remember if it was the SX600-G or SX500-LG but it takes time for Newegg to have the listing up. I'm not sure on Aerocooler, but there are a few companies like Directron that have a bad habit of putting up listings for stuff that are still in a shipping container somewhere and not actually in stock and ready to ship.

tylerrobb

Cable Smoosher
May 19, 2016
I just got off the phone with SilverStone and I was told that their first shipment of the SX700-LPT power supplies are currently in US customs. They're expecting them to arrive and be available online in the next day or two.

I asked which preferred US online retailer would carry the SX700-LPT and was told Newegg.

I just got off the phone with SilverStone again and they said that the units just arrived at their warehouse last night. They recommended Aerocooler.com if I wanted to order it right away, but the expensive shipping isn't worth it to me. They said to check Amazon and Newegg next week.

The Amazon product page is taunting me every time I visit:

Reactions: Soul_Est

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I just got off the phone with SilverStone again and they said that the units just arrived at their warehouse last night.

They arrived at SilverStone's warehouse or Newegg's? Cause if they just arrived at SilverStone's warehouse then I wonder if Aerocooler either doesn't really have them in stock or they airshipped them direct from China and that's why the shipping is so expensive.

The Amazon product page is taunting me every time I visit:

Sometimes the Amazon page goes up first but usually I find that Newegg will get stock first.

tylerrobb

Cable Smoosher
May 19, 2016
They arrived at SilverStone's warehouse or Newegg's? Cause if they just arrived at SilverStone's warehouse then I wonder if Aerocooler either doesn't really have them in stock or they airshipped them direct from China and that's why the shipping is so expensive.

They said "we just received them in last night" so I think they got stuck in customs longer than originally anticipated. Now that SilverStone US has them, I'd imagine they'd send shipments to the relevant online retailer warehouses.

I have a Prime membership so I'm torn as to which route to take. Like you mentioned, Newegg might have the product first but their processing and standard shipping would take longer. I think I'm going to hold out for Amazon.

tylerrobb

Cable Smoosher
May 19, 2016
Just an update for those of you watching this thread:

The SX700-LPT is now available to purchase on Amazon.com BUT it is temporarily out of stock. Either the PSU sold out of available inventory in the 5 hours I slept or the inventory hasn't even been made available yet. I'm hoping for the latter! :)

$149.99 and qualifies for Prime shipping (if you have it)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G26SMTQ/?tag=theminutiae-20

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Amazon will sometimes have the listing up first but Newegg will get stock first.

FWIW I got a press release today for the SX700-LPT with a MSRP of $168 and ETA of June 14. Luckily it looks like the $150 MSRP I was told previously is what it'll be and it may be in stock much sooner than the 14th.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Interesting, I inquired with Tony about the fan/temp curve and this is the reply:

Below 150W – Fan stays off indefinitely

150W ~ 270W – Fan starts at 60°C

Over 270W – Fan always on

Over temperature protection (OTP) – Triggers at 98°C

I had asked because in some testing with a heat gun I was able to get the unit to shut off before the fan turned on. That's an artificial test though and in the real world if the system is only drawing 150W it'd be hard for it to get the PSU temperature to the shutoff point unless the case is basically a sealed box with no ventilation. That does describe some Lian Li and Jonsbo cases though so...

Anyway, this means that in a properly ventilated case with modern hardware the SX700-LPT fan will never turn on at idle or low loads.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Holy crap, with 270W you can power a mid-range gaming system, so for a certain range of components it can be practically made a fully passive unit. That's a pretty huge deal. Maybe they could actually make a 250W fanless SFX-L PSU. Would be a very cool techdemo to show how far SFX as a formfactor has come.

Reactions: Soul_Est

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Hoping Seasonic bring one to market.

I'd like to see Seasonic bring anything to the enthusiast SFX market. The closest we got at Computex was them showing off that black TFX unit. Some news sites even reported on it like it was a new unit but it's been out for a year already :(

VirtualVoid

Chassis Packer
Sep 3, 2015
So far, Newegg.com doesn't have listing for it when I search for "Silverstone SX700"... but Newegg.ca does, albeit out-of-stock. I subscribed to be notified when it goes In-Stock.

Edit: nevermind, the listing was taken down. The page I had bookmarked just 404s.

Last edited: