Power Supply SilverStone SX700-LPT - 700W SFX-L Platinum-rated

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'll be waiting patiently for the Cerberus to arrive and the price to drop. I could conceivably pay 200€ for the 800W Titanium, not for the 700W Platinum.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Yikes, but

Looks like it's sold by a Marketplace seller in Italy, rather than by Amazon themselves. Though the few stores in the EU that have it listed have it at €200, so it might just be EU-wide price gouging.

Plus Amazon sellers have to pay a selling fee similar to eBay, but not quite as much.

BoloisBolo

Caliper Novice
Sep 24, 2015
Wow those prices are pretty bad. I got mine from amazon for $150 usd.

On the other hand it does have some cool stuff going on such as a power switch! Which the 450 and 600 and the fan design reminds me of a fan that I got with my Jonsbo umx-1 plus maybe the same OEM fan? And its nice touch that they gave covers for the plugs except for the 24 pin.

VirtualVoid

Chassis Packer
Sep 3, 2015
Well I finally received my SX700 yesterday, along with a Silverstone ML08, and today I rebuilt my system in the new case. Sadly, I've had a few sudden and unexpected reboots since the rebuild, and I'm having trouble determining the cause.

My CPU (6700K) and GPU (GTX 970) temps seem okay, and the system didn't have any issues in the previous case. I'm concerned that the PSU is reaching its 110°C overtemp protection, but I don't know how I could verify that. When I use OCCT to load my system, the PSU fan turns on only sometimes, but when gaming I don't think the fan turns on at all (which I was hoping for TBH). Given the orientation of the PSU in the ML08, passive convection probably isn't doing a great job of removing heat from inside the PSU without the fan going.

Is there a simple way to check the PSU's internal temperature without any special tools?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The PSU is hardwired to only turn the fan on above 150W load so there may be some edge cases where the overtemp kicks in below that load level.

I guess you could test that by rigging up an external fan to cool just the PSU. There isn't any easy to measure the internal temp without a thermoprobe thermometer.

VirtualVoid

Chassis Packer
Sep 3, 2015
Thanks for the insight, Aiboh. I'll try to do some testing when I have time and report back... for science.

Update: I am somewhat more certain that the PSU is tripping its over-temperature protection. I removed the side dust filter and put a large external fan blowing at the PSU intake, and then ran Unigine Heaven for over an hour without issue. Ambient temperatures were roughly 25°C.

When I turned the fan off, CPU and GPU temperatures rose slightly but were still okay. The PSU fan started to turn on occasionally when the FPS counter spiked high, and it was quite loud for a few seconds, then shut off. Eventually, after about 15 minutes the system abruptly rebooted. Furthermore, it restarted over and over again during bootup while the BIOS was doing its thing, until I turned the external fan back on.

I considered getting a infrared temperature gun to try to check the internal temperature, but I think I'll just save myself the time and money and just return the SX700 to newegg. I'm really disappointed that I waited so long for this PSU and it's not working out for me.

Maybe Silverstone's next attempt at a semi-passive fan controller will finally get things right, but for now I think I'll try a different brand for once.

Based on your experience with the Lian-Li PE 750, do you know if it is also hardwired to ignore temperature until a load theshold is reached? Or would I be better off getting a Corsair SF600?

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I would try just without the fan filter, I've had my old PSU also go into "OTP" because it blocked too much airflow because of the density (Demciflex are very dense).

Didn't the SX700-LPT have a load AND temperature-based fan controller ?

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I am somewhat more certain that the PSU is tripping its over-temperature protection.

Interesting. I'll point Tony to your post and see what he thinks.

Based on your experience with the Lian-Li PE 750, do you know if it is also hardwired to ignore temperature until a load theshold is reached?

It doesn't seem to. I haven't tested it extensively though.

Didn't the SX700-LPT have a load AND temperature-based fan controller ?

It does, once the fan is running it will increase RPMs in response to temperature. The controller is hardwired to never turn on when below 150W load though.

I suspect this was done to make absolutely sure they didn't have the same problem as the SX500-LG and SX600-G, where the fan never really runs in idle mode. But maybe they took things a little too far the other way.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I wouldn't have though that the PSU is overheating otherwise the cooling fan would be flat out, unless you have a faulty unit.

But with regards to the ML08, I've built a few gaming PCs using this case and it does run quite warm due to the lack of system fans, even with a fairly low TDP cpu such as an i5-6500. The CPU usually runs quite cool because it draws cool air directly in, but system temps do get warm even at idle because the warm air just builds up.

With a 6700k under load in combination with a loaded GTX 970 I imagine the system temps would get high in this case.

Could it be that it's your motherboard or RAM overheating? What system temp is your motherboard reporting? If it was your PSU I would expect it's fans to be running flat out.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I wouldn't have though that the PSU is overheating otherwise the cooling fan would be flat out, unless you have a faulty unit.

That's the thing though, the SX700-LPT is apparently programmed to never turn the fan on below 150W load.

I've gotten my unit to shut off without the fan turning on by using a heatgun but I wasn't sure if there were any real-world situations where this would become a problem.

VirtualVoid

Chassis Packer
Sep 3, 2015
I would try just without the fan filter, I've had my old PSU also go into "OTP" because it blocked too much airflow because of the density (Demciflex are very dense).
I'll give that a try and report back. Update: It took much much longer, but I did eventually have a failure.

Interesting. I'll point Tony to your post and see what he thinks.
I appreciate that very much.

Could it be that it's your motherboard or RAM overheating? What system temp is your motherboard reporting? If it was your PSU I would expect it's fans to be running flat out.
I am using Open Hardware Monitor to watch CPU, motherboard, and GPU temperatures, and they all stay reasonably low. I don't have a temperature reading for my RAM, but they have fairly large heatspreaders and receive airflow from the CPU cooler so I'd be pretty surprised if that was the cause of the reboots.

As Aibohphobia said, the PSU fan stays off at any temperature so long as the load is 'low'. While using Unigine Heaven without my external fan, there is one single scene where my framerate hits 200fps and the PSU fan kicks on for about 4 seconds before turning off again for the rest of the benchmark loop. I guess my system just barely reaches the fan threshold at full load. During those 4 seconds, the fan spins way up, and is easily louder than any other fan in my system. That seems to indicate that the PSU is indeed very hot... but 4 seconds of airflow for a 4 minute benchmark isn't enough and eventually the OTP trips.

Last edited: