Power Supply SilverStone SX650-G and SX500-G review

wovie

Trash Compacter
Aug 18, 2015
TDP hasn't really changed. The 780 Ti was 250W. The more important metric is performance per watt, which has made some very good gains.

The cpu have not changed much since they're all rehash of skylake. Performance per watt has mostly stayed the same, slightly more efficient in multi threads since 6 slow cores more efficient than 4 fast cores.

I ran 1080Ti FE + 4790k and MSI B85i with Corsair SF450. Most PSU recommendation was given at worst case peak power scenario, and we only encounters peak power scenario on synthetic benchmarks. In real world end user scenario there's no such thing as computers running at 100% capacity except for production or industrial purpose

Interesting... so do you guys think the increased PSU recommendation is coming from an overclocking point of view, since TDP is usually rated at stock speeds? During the RTX presentation, they briefly mentioned that these new cards would be good for overclocking, but to what extent - I guess we will have to wait and see.

On the CPU side, it seems the trend is going towards increasing core count. Again, something like the upcoming i9-9900K is only rated at 95W for stock, but even the standard turbo clocks will surpass that right?

Seeing as Corsair's SF600 carries a 7-year warranty (obviously a lot can change in that time), but would you guys predict that 600W will be enough for at least 3-5 more years? If not, how about Silverstone's upcoming 700W Platinum?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Interesting... so do you guys think the increased PSU recommendation is coming from an overclocking point of view, since TDP is usually rated at stock speeds? During the RTX presentation, they briefly mentioned that these new cards would be good for overclocking, but to what extent - I guess we will have to wait and see.

On the CPU side, it seems the trend is going towards increasing core count. Again, something like the upcoming i9-9900K is only rated at 95W for stock, but even the standard turbo clocks will surpass that right?

Seeing as Corsair's SF600 carries a 7-year warranty (obviously a lot can change in that time), but would you guys predict that 600W will be enough for at least 3-5 more years? If not, how about Silverstone's upcoming 700W Platinum?

I think the 600W Corsair (Gold or Platinum) or the 650W Silverstone will last you pretty much forever on a mITX system. I doubt we will see power draws rise even with the trend of more cores on dies.

Reactions: wovie

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
I will be testing the 2080ti with a 650w as well as the 800wSFX-L unit. I will report back if I run into any issues.

With all the BS surrounding Nvidia's latest launch (and Nvidia's continued lack of integrity just a few months after that Partner Program drama), I'm pleased to report that I've acquired a 2080ti with my own funds so we will have an honest review free from any limits, or rules.

While I wish the cost of the card wasn't so high, I'm hopeful that the leap in 2 generations (Volta > Turing) will provide at least 25%+ performance boost over the 1080ti.