What happens in Vegas... we'll share with you all here! (+ a giveaway!)

Hey all,

I'm excited to share that SFF Network will have our largest-ever crew on-location at CES 2019 this week! As the conference progresses, be sure to check out the forum and SFF Network for updates from us as we prowl the show floor, looking for what's next in the SFF space (and maybe-probably-definitely getting into the occasional shenanigans).

In celebration of the exciting week to come, I'd also like to kick off what is probably our biggest giveaway to date! On the workshop table we have a collection of pretty solid gear to give out, including:

One (1)
Silverstone CS280 NAS chassis... for that 60TB media library you've always wanted but never had the room for.

Two (2)
Silverstone SX650-G PSUs... for a new SFF build that's truly without compromise.

One (1)
Corsair h115i RGB Platinum 280mm AIO... for people without taste. Erm, I mean, for people who like lights and colors and stuff, I guess. No judgement here.

One (1)
Noctua C14S... For efficient-as-hell cooling, whether you care about performance or acoustics.

One (1)
ASRock X399m... For when 16 cores just isn't enough.

To enter the giveaway, simply share in this thread what you're looking forward to this year – be it SFF related or not! Standard T's and C's apply below. We will draw one winner for each of the prizes sometime next week. Entries will be closed on Friday, January 11, 2019 at 11:59 EST.

Giveaway is open worldwide, except where prohibited. No purchase is necessary to enter. Shipping will be paid for by SFF Network, a division of Minutiae Media. Any taxes or Customs charges are the responsibility of the winner. Minutiae Media reserves the right to send the prize without tracking at winner's risk if shipping costs an arm and a leg. No hardware other than what's specified is included. Standard terms and conditions apply.

Aichon

Average Stuffer
Oct 16, 2017
I'm honestly most looking forward to the new TVs that are coming out. The further they can drive the price of OLED down, the closer it comes to when I can afford it.

HZCH

Trash Compacter
Jul 21, 2018
OMG that giveaway is a wet dream!!!

Looking for those Ryzen 2 3000 series, might bite the bullet for a cheaper-than-ever 8c/16t mitx build... if I ever settle for a case. Otherwise I'll contemplate my fat Define C mini for more time than I would...

... also looking for some prototypes in this very forum, especially the ones able to stick a Strix 1080ti in it

... or anything SFF related, really.

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
I was looking forward to seeing some new stuff on Ryzen - and I was not disappointed :)

Also Asrock's AM4 STX :eek: interested in the possibility of using a m.2 adapter to connect a GPU to it, for science.
In theory it'd be possible to try Crossfire on the board because it has two Ultra M.2 slots :p

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
In theory it'd be possible to try Crossfire on the board because it has two Ultra M.2 slots :p
Haha! I hadn't though of that :D
I do think I'd rather keep one of those for an SDD though. I'm curious how Asrock has wired them up - are either of them taking advantage of the pcie x16 lane Ryzen normally has for graphics? Or is that totally unused? Most likely totally unused I'd guess..

Reactions: Therandomness

Soules

Caliper Novice
Feb 26, 2018
What I really hope to see this year more matx cases from the community here. It seems like every thread that is posted about a new case it's always mitx, which is a great platform, but even here matx is really stagnant.

psurge

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 17, 2018
Looking forward to AMD’s Zen 2 having a showdown with Sunny Cove. On the GPU side I’m hoping Navi makes AMD more competitive, and I’m also wondering whether we’ll see any 7nm products from NVidia this year.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
okay i'm going to hack the writing prompt of this thread (sorry ,_,) and instead bullet point out what excite-past-tense me these few days:
  • Alphacool Flatboy prototype large-socket 1U pumpblock (EDIT: need to confirm something)
  • Coolermaster Q500L ATX (I think they're the same volume as the Q300L mATX)
  • Corsair One i180. the one with Asrock's Little Monster inside it
  • also: CORSAIR SF750 PLATINIUM
  • Honorable mention: Digital Storm's mini-STX custom watercooled prebuilt WITH A 2080 MXM MODULE
  • Silverstone USB header adapter. don't have a use now but good to know!
  • if I didn't have a 1060: RTX 2060. I might actually buy it if I really didn't have a 1060.
  • DELIDDED RYZEN 3000 PICTURES. performance, eh we'll see. PICTURES.
  • ASUS Mothership. Portable Screenputer AIO with a battery
  • First Runner Up: Alienware's upgradable laptop. we'll see how the modular GPU thing will work out for them (considering those are in-house form and connection factors)
  • this one did the opposite: Alphacool Eisball pumpblock. guess what it looks like.
  • this one multiplied by zero: all the X599 cases and coolers
  • this one I kinda am fighting myself with: Lian Li's TU150 concept

Last edited:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
What I really hope to see this year more matx cases from the community here. It seems like every thread that is posted about a new case it's always mitx, which is a great platform, but even here matx is really stagnant.

mATX would be nice to see more of, but the board manufacturers do not seem to be onboard... There is a singular mATX motherboard for Threadripper...

As for ITX over mATX, well, this IS the SFFN...

okay i'm going to hack the writing prompt of this thread (sorry ,_,) and instead bullet point out what excite-past-tense me these few days:
  • Alphacool Flatboy prototype large-socket 1U pumpblock (EDIT: need to confirm something)
  • Coolermaster Q500L ATX (I think they're the same volume as the Q300L mATX)
  • Corsair One i180. the one with Asrock's Little Monster inside it
  • also: CORSAIR SF750 PLATINIUM
  • Honorable mention: Digital Storm's mini-STX custom watercooled prebuilt WITH A 2080 MXM MODULE
  • Silverstone USB header adapter. don't have a use now but good to know!
  • if I didn't have a 1060: RTX 2060. I might actually buy it if I really didn't have a 1060.
  • DELIDDED RYZEN 3000 PICTURES. performance, eh we'll see. PICTURES.
  • ASUS Mothership. Portable Screenputer AIO with a battery
  • First Runner Up: Alienware's upgradable laptop. we'll see how the modular GPU thing will work out for them (considering those are in-house form and connection factors)
  • this one did the opposite: Alphacool Eisball pumpblock. guess what it looks like.
  • this one multiplied by zero: all the X599 cases and coolers
  • this one I kinda am fighting myself with: Lian Li's TU150 concept

More on the Alphacool Flatboy, is this anything like the Solo LT CPU pump/block combo...?

Yes, the Platinum SF750 seems tailor made for SFF workstations...

Drop-top Ryzen / Zen 2 pics you say...?

There are clearly traces for a second chiplet on the package, which could be another 8c/16t Zen2 chiplet, or it could be a Navi GPU chiplet...

Reactions: VegetableStu

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
More on the Alphacool Flatboy, is this anything like the Solo LT CPU pump/block combo...?
Was. :c
we just learned they dropped the pump functionality. it's just a 1U multipoint waterblock now (at least it's EPYC/TR compatible)

There are clearly traces for a second chiplet on the package, which could be another 8c/16t Zen2 chiplet, or it could be a Navi GPU chiplet...
I know right?! Lisa Su hinted it could be more than 8 cores!
also slightly better news (depending on where you're looking at this from): Ryzen 3000G APUs won't be on the chiplet layout. all free estate for cores only!

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Really looking forward to just about everything from ces I always get super excited about new tech and the new 2060 looks promising for the future of NVIDIA. I’m really excited to see that the next step for them in this generation is.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
how small a radeon 7 CPU would fit in that socket though? o_o the vega 24 on the 8809G is quite big (although quartering the GPU die would give the smallest case estimate of a 7nm version but I doubt it's that simple)

they'll probably look into doing that next year ._. this year's APUs are sticking to Zen+, just like last year's APUs stuck with one process behind