Show your new toys Topic

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
Nice, I like the super-oldschool style of the lettering :D I guess the buttons in the upper right are for media control, right? Why not go TKL?
All the look and feel of retrocomputing with none of the headache :p. Close, it goes Calculator (which I guess only works in Windows), Mute, Volume Down, Volume Up. Can't always escape early 00's quirkiness I suppose. My time as a retail worker required me to use a number pad constantly, so I am much faster with numerical entry using it.

Nice spherical keycaps. I went for a 60% keyboard (Apple M0110 from 1984) and it is a really pleasure as well as a space saver. With a custom firmware and an arduino, it give function and media layers that replace the missing keys.

Thanks :). I tried out a friend's Ducky Mini and while it was built like a tank and the additional layers were well thought out, I found myself constantly reaching for keys that were not there. Old habits die hard.

Last edited:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015

New tools! Sadly the rainclouds are already overhead, so motorcycle maintenance will have to wait until tomorrow.

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Wera is some quality gear, it seems to be a very complete kit for a motorcycle !

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Today my second lavalier mic came in:

o_O return to sender, again... Have I stepped into a demon-filled hell hole that is the lavalier mic market ? Seriously bummed out...

LooseNeutral

Trash Compacter
LOSIAS
Jul 3, 2015
where is mic? clipped to back of box.. yo.. mess'n with you but. I've been in and out of umm some studios in my life.. even the sh_t I order better not come in looking like that ! $$$$$$

then again.. he may put this together and it will sound as good as the best of 'em. Because pepole do crazy great things

Last edited by a moderator:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
In the bottom photo you can see an impression on the packaging of a hard piece of the kit (I think the clip). I was amazed it wasn't deformed, but I didn't take a hard look at it when I saw it stuffed inside the box.

Ordered a Samson Meteor, hopefully this time without crappy QC or somebody going derp-derp on the product and the seller not taking a look at a CRUSHED BOX.

LooseNeutral

Trash Compacter
LOSIAS
Jul 3, 2015
I'm haten the losias Image do hickey thing.. I want something.. I go click.. It worky.

ehem.. that packaging was a snub job. Someone they hired from the noodles 2 U side of town perhaps?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
No the outer packaging was not the problem, intact and sealed. What was inside was just a complete mess, I immediately took my camera and made some pictures. I'm a stickler for opening stuff correctly, I don't go RAAAWWWRRRRR on my package and rip it out, most of the time I can get stuff open without leaving a trace. This was the exact opposite and it was clearly someone went: "bah, this is not my problem", sent it back and the seller just forwarded it to me.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The Samson Meteor arrived a day early. Because of it's classic looks, I went grayscale:

This thing feels like it's a block of solid metal. I can hook my headphones to it directly, USB to my keyboard and I can blast 16-bit 48kHz of my noise back to my head. Awesome.

Reactions: confusis

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
This thing feels like it's a block of solid metal. I can hook my headphones to it directly, USB to my keyboard and I can blast 16-bit 48kHz of my noise back to my head. Awesome.

But does this one work? Hope it does because for the price it's a great looking mic and the reviews are great.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yeah, it was an unopened, undamaged box, always a good start. And it works perfectly. I tested it a little but it was already putting me into that fluffy cloud of happiness when you get a product that's worth it's price. The other two, weren't, after reading various negative reviews about QC problems.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'd not be able to contribute much in general and we still have to see if my mic doesn't melt into a puddle of metal, considering my recent mic-related experiences.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Setup my new Acer XR341CK monitor:

In the back is my old 32" screen, which has a backlight needing about 5 to 10 minutes to get to the set brightness lately.

Mounted to the wall with a custom bracket (it was 10cm too high):

Last edited:
Reactions: CXH4 and iFreilicht

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Ah I'm jealous. I just got my 2nd 21:9 monitor, an LG UC 29in but I really want a 34in curved.....just dont have the budget for it.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
and we still have to see if my mic doesn't melt into a puddle of metal, considering my recent mic-related experiences.

Discord issues aside, good to see that your new mic did not indeed melt into a puddle of metal :p

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yes Discord web-app wasn't the most cooperative, somehow I could only hear one person at a time and it switched which person each time I left/joined the voice chat. I installed the app-app and that did work better. The only problem was it was quite hard for me to talk since I could hear myself slightly delayed and since my native voice isn't English, this made my brain run at 100% load. Next time I'll be testing with not hearing my own voice over the channel. It also seemed to pick up a lot of noise like typing, I'm going to try and figure out if I can somehow hide that.