Show your new toys Topic

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Since it's become apparent to me that the GPU manufacturers can't be trusted to measure the dimensions of their cards correctly I decided to pick up a precision metric ruler: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LY9ZCQS/?tag=theminutiae-20

--snip--

1.0 and 0.5mm markings that are clearly visible. 0 starts at the edge to make measuring easier. The satin finish is a total fingerprint magnet though :p
Looks I may have to pick on up to go along with my digital calipers when measuring items to model.

Not much of a purchase but I impulse bought this Dell keyboard yesterday at a 2nd hand shop just because it fits my preference for black and silver computer systems, while I wait for my first mech keyboard purchase. (pic below is not mine) Still not too bad for $2.

--snip--
I have used a similar keyboard to it and I personally cannot use it. The keys were wobbly and the overall size of the keyboard was too big for my keyboard and mouse stand.

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Looks I may have to pick on up to go along with my digital calipers when measuring items to model.

I have used a similar keyboard to it and I personally cannot use it. The keys were wobbly and the overall size of the keyboard was too big for my keyboard and mouse stand.

I am using this keyboard on my large XTrac mouse mat instead of the slide-out tray as with my older keyboard. It definitely feels a bit big on the mat, what with the mouse being pretty close to it. When I purchase a mech keyboard it would definitely be 60%. I don't really use the num keys and arrows much.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Not much of a purchase but I impulse bought this Dell keyboard yesterday at a 2nd hand shop just because it fits my preference for black and silver computer systems, while I wait for my first mech keyboard purchase. (pic below is not mine) Still not too bad for $2.

Others will call me insane, but I bought one like that 3 years ago but unused, entirely in gray and AZERTY (seemed quite rare) and I paid 20€ for it without hesitating:

After handling one of these daily for education, I loved it and I still have it today. One of my favourite membrane keyboards because of the layouts and the sheer diminuitive size even with a fuil layout. It's still sitting next to me for my test builds.

At work I have one with a built-in cardreader on one of my workstations.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Got a few reviews planned that require better power measurement than just checking AC draw at the outlet so I broke down and invested in some better equipment:

So that's a Rigol DS1054Z 4-channel oscilloscope and 4x current probes. Not anywhere near the level of Tom's Hardware's setup but should be good enough for what I'm planning.

Here I'm testing it out by measuring the current on the 4-pin CPU connector.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Oh dang, shit just got real ! The oscilloscope is a very handy tool, I always wanted one but I'm too noob at electrical that it would be wasted on me.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Got a few reviews planned that require better power measurement than just checking AC draw at the outlet so I broke down and invested in some better equipment:

So that's a Rigol DS1054Z 4-channel oscilloscope and 4x current probes. Not anywhere near the level of Tom's Hardware's setup but should be good enough for what I'm planning.

Here I'm testing it out by measuring the current on the 4-pin CPU connector.
Dayum! :cool:

Best to check out http://gotroot.ca/rigol/riglol/ as riglol.3owl.com no longer exists.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
so Ive had a small side project on the back burner for a while, finally got the last of the hardware in for it. Have been cloning the configs off the old pi (clear case) onto the new one (duino case) so i can stick it up out the way and it can do its thing. If you want a rock solid case for a pi, various arduino's or intel Galileo i highly recommend Duino Cases

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Oh dang, shit just got real ! The oscilloscope is a very handy tool, I always wanted one but I'm too noob at electrical that it would be wasted on me.

I'm an electrical noob too, I'm hoping to grow into it because just using it to measure current is total overkill.

I've heard of that, don't really need it for now since the current probes are the limiting factor.

Best to check out http://gotroot.ca/rigol/riglol/ as riglol.3owl.com no longer exists.

Good to know.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Woot woot! Wasn't expecting it until Monday but it came in early so I can finish my review of the ASRock DeskMini 110:

But on Monday, I should receive a ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming which I'll be able to use with my new power measuring setup to compare the i7 6700T (35W TDP) with the 6700K (91W).

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Out of curiousity, where did you source your 6700T from. They seem to be extremely hard to find unless you want to pay like 50% over MSRP.