Show your new toys Topic

C4B12

Scratchbuilder
Jan 11, 2016
www.minimalisticpc.com

My most recent buy, V-Moda Crossfade Wireless, really nice BT headphones. :)

Reactions: Phuncz

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
A massive shout out to the SFFn team for sending this all the way to the bottom of the world. Currently replacing a monitor but once thats out the way i'll be saving for the build this is going into (touch wood).

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Oh good, you received it! I was worried the postman was taken down by drop bears.
Lucky for me it was less drop bears and more public holidays that took down the postman.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite, because the WRT54G had difficulty the last time we used it for our LAN-party (20-30 people).
And also to learn more about routers for my job and curiosity.

Always handy for a server build, considering their usefulness and price.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That USB 3.0 adapter could definitely come in handy but considering how difficult it is to unplug normal USB 3.0 cables from the motherboard sometimes I'd be worried about snapping it off at the solder points.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'd be worried about snapping it off at the solder points.
The solder joints seem to be well made, I'm not worried:

Thanks @jtd871 I'm following smallnetbuilder.com daily. That review is 3 years old though, so I can believe that when it first appeared, it was quite rough around the edges :) I'll soon figure out if it's still a vague, undocumented mess, but before I bought this I read very positive reviews about it. Considering I didn't want a consumer-level router (even with DD-WRT), this and Mikrotik were the obvious choices. But the latter one seemed to be less favored for my purposes.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
I assume your (like mine, venerable) WRT54G was overwhelmed by the wireless connections during your party?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Nope, it just overheated because some people had 250+ TCP/IP connections to the internet going on. As soon as we detached the modem, it just worked like nothing was wrong. I'm going to set a firewall up blocking all non-HTTP and mail traffic and rate limits per user next time.

Reactions: QinX

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I had the same problem with my old router, some linksys firstgen 300n router.
Rocking a Netgear R7000 now.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I haven't bought anything with it (yet) but when I was buying an eBay card from Gyft I somehow forgot that I already had a $30 Amazon gift card waiting to be redeemed o_o. Double the prizes.

EDIT: Spent some of it on the following. Still in the mail so stock photos only.

ATtiny85 Microcontroller development board. They call it a dev board but it's small enough for any installation. This one's going in my custom SFF case. Dirt cheap too, I can get a dozen of these for under $40.

1.12" monochrome OLED display with I2C interface. One of these can hook up to the ATtiny board but in the meantime it will be with Arduino.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015

A second-hand reference Radeon 290X with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV. But wait, isn't that the same combo you already have, clearly visible in the background ? Yes, yes it is. #wheresthecerberus

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
But wait, isn't that the same combo you already have, clearly visible in the background ? Yes, yes it is. #wheresthecerberus

So would you switch back to the stock fans to get them both in there?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Reinforcements have arrived.
New construction options.
Pioewww --- Low power.

10 heatpipes, 6mm by 220mm

Copper pipe bender, for 6, 8 and 10mm (hmm wonder what it's for)

Hundred 8P8C connectors with insert, I'm sorry about the waste: every connector has it's own zip-lock bag...