Show your new toys Topic

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I always wanted to try a passive solution like that and had looked at hearpipes, but they seemed expensive and problematic. Excited to see your finished project!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm waiting on one more component and then I'll do a full write-up on the experiment I'm doing.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I'd be really interested to see how well the heatpipes stand up to bending. IIRC, etched microchannel heatpipes should be mostly unaffected, but sintered foam heatpipes may not maintain performance if bent.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I could test it with a 100W LED I still have, to see the difference before and after.

Reactions: Ceros_X

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Silverstone FT03 Mini. Its going to cost more than its worth to repair the big rig so finally downsizing.

Reactions: GuilleAcoustic

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I hope a game can be considered a "toy" as well :)

(I know it's not really a new title, but man.. this thing is amazing, especially when you get it for $5 during Steam sale like I did)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I see your graphically updated game and I raise you:

It's awesome. So incredibly awesome.

Reactions: ignsvn

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015

Audio Technica lavalier microphone. *mumble* peer pressure *mumble*.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yep, now you'll have to endure my presence in a whole new dimension: mono audio.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Dunno, still running Windows due to too many projects keeping me occupied :)
But let me run the input through some 3D sound software, it'll add dimensions like you've never heard before !

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
But let me run the input through some 3D sound software, it'll add dimensions like you've never heard before !

That's one of the reasons I'd like to record in VR eventually, the spatialized audio that's possible with headtracking is great.

Reactions: Phuncz

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
For VR, unless you're trying to capture an environment (e.g. an orchestra in a specific locale) then you;re probably better off recording in mono then spatialising in software. You can pretty much treat speech as a point-source with an object behind it (your head/torso) to generate the required dispersion.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Which makes perfect sense as speech actually comes from a mono speaker aka mouth, not a stereo one. Does a stereo microphone even exist on the consumer market?

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Which makes perfect sense as speech actually comes from a mono speaker aka mouth, not a stereo one. Does a stereo microphone even exist on the consumer market?

Cardioid microphones with multiple capsules are pretty common. The very popular (and pretty darn good) Blue Yeti has three, for example.

For a single person I suppose there's not much use beyond noise cancellation, but when you're dealing with multiple people recording in stereo can be preferable since it gives the sensation of space to the listener. You can tell that folks are spread out, and it can feel more natural, as if you're gathered with the speakers around a table or some such thing,

Reactions: iFreilicht

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
So my Compaq KU-9978 from...I dunno, 1998 or 99, finally died (this isn't a picture of mine because mine was desperately in need of an isopropanol bath):

In its place, not an original Model M or even a clone, but it'll do:

Reactions: Phuncz

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Nice spherical keycaps. I went for a 60% keyboard (Apple M0110 from 1984) and it is a really pleasure as well as a space saver. With a custom firmware and an arduino, it give function and media layers that replace the missing keys.