Show your new toys Topic

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Huh, I didn't think the default was to be able to hear yourself. Did you have both the desktop app and the web app open at the same time?

There's not much you can do about it picking up noise, it's the downside of a sensitive condenser mic. What I find helps is:
  • Isolating the mic from the desk, so a stand or even just a block of foam to set it on top of.
  • Have the mic close to your mouth and turn down the gain (I usually have my Yeti about 300mm away)
  • Using a rubber dome keyboard and typing softer :p

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
My new CPU reached its new home: Intel Core i7-4785T

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Just picked up a Xiaomi Mi5 64GB to replace my Huawei MediaPad X2. It's the first high-spec android phone I've had (I also have a Xiaomi MiPad Tegra K1). I'm not crazy about the super thin design but overall the phone is nice, fast, responsive. I just hope it stays this way, my MiPad can get really sluggish.

The phone has 3gb of RAM but seems Xiaomi's UI uses about 1.5gb all the time. This causes a huge problem on the MiPad since it's only 2gb of RAM. I think the UFS 2.0 storage may also be helping on the Mi5. I hope more phones get away from eMMC memory in the future.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Just picked up a Xiaomi Mi5 64GB to replace my Huawei MediaPad X2. It's the first high-spec android phone I've had (I also have a Xiaomi MiPad Tegra K1). I'm not crazy about the super thin design but overall the phone is nice, fast, responsive. I just hope it stays this way, my MiPad can get really sluggish.

The phone has 3gb of RAM but seems Xiaomi's UI uses about 1.5gb all the time. This causes a huge problem on the MiPad since it's only 2gb of RAM. I think the UFS 2.0 storage may also be helping on the Mi5. I hope more phones get away from eMMC memory in the future.

So I found out the drawback on Xiaomi. Seems they have almost nobody to support the new phones that come out. They have ridiculously obvious issues on the Mi5 that are 4 months old but still not fixed, and when you ask questions on the forum now, they don't even respond to it.

The Xiaomi PC app does not support Xiaomi Mi5 and a few other of the new phones. This was reported in late March, still not fixed.

Changing the launcher works, but once you press the home button it reverts to the stock launcher. This issue happened on other phones and the only way to fix is to root the phone. Unfortunately, even this does not fix the issue on the Mi5. First reported in May (maybe earlier) and still not fixed.

Yeah......I should have known that getting something on par with a Galaxy S7 for half the price must have some drawbacks, but its sad that this stuff should be ridiculously easy to fix but doesnt get touched.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It's the main problem with Android, manufacturers screwing up with custom firmware and then not supporting them anymore, designing the next device and moving on. If I ever switch to Android, it'll be a Nexus or any other device that can use a vanilla version. Too often people have been promised updated and not receive them, or needed to wait 6 months or more past release.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015

Picked up a GoPro Session in the Amazon sale, to replace my el-cheapo SVC200. The jump in image quality is good but not really dramatic (720p60 to 1080p60, though with about 1.5x the bitrate), but the camera itself a a LOT smaller and lighter without needing a waterproof case, and the top mount provides a much better view (at the expense of some inconvenience in not being able to rest the helmet upside-down without landing on the mount). Might go for the lower profile mount with the bracket on the back to tidy things up a bit, but it works just fine for now.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Brickless S4 actually.

The point of getting this was to combo it with the HD-Plex 160W AC-DC and DC-DC combo. This card will leave enough space on the bottom of the S4 Mini for the AC-DC unit to heat sink onto the solid 5mm aluminum portion of the case. I will likely redo this build into a custom case with my Nomad 883 CNC once I can get CAD drawings done up. I'm planning on finalizing the NFC build with a new GTX 960, 4690T and HDPlex 250. I'm just waiting to see if any of the AIB 960s use the standard PCB layout for 670/970 as I have some water cooling stuff I want to use on them for a future build.

Last edited:

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Not a toy per se, but this is my new physio clinic/ modding space. Pano is kinda shitty, but it's basically a 20x20 foot office with attached waiting room and washroom on the second floor of an 1800's heritage building. You can view the Google Street View of the office interior from the last business owner here

Hopefully will be designing a production ITX case out of here in the next couple of months.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz and jeshikat

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Just got an Aivia Osmium keyboard. My coworker bought my Aorus Thunder K3 to replace his Coolermaster keyboard (he didnt like the switches for programming).

The Osmium has brown switches instead of red but it seems comfortable for me. I think i still prefer the Aorus keyboard but the full size Aivia was about $50 cheaper here than the K7 Aorus.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Since it's become apparent to me that the GPU manufacturers can't be trusted to measure the dimensions of their cards correctly I decided to pick up a precision metric ruler: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LY9ZCQS/?tag=theminutiae-20

1.0 and 0.5mm markings that are clearly visible. 0 starts at the edge to make measuring easier. The satin finish is a total fingerprint magnet though :p

Reactions: Phuncz and Soul_Est

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I think we should get a thread going where we catalog all known SFF graphics cards with official community measurements. I listed my Galax 970 as 193mm the other day on the sell thread before iFreilicht let me know it's a 181mm card. 1.2cm is a pretty big discrepancy when you're targeting a product at small chassis builders.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Not much of a purchase but I impulse bought this Dell keyboard yesterday at a 2nd hand shop just because it fits my preference for black and silver computer systems, while I wait for my first mech keyboard purchase. (pic below is not mine) Still not too bad for $2.

Reactions: Phuncz