Show your new toys Topic

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
The defense industry is the worst with acronyms...there are acronyms of acronyms :eek:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I'm pretty sure that, if you randomly type between two and twelve letters, you'll have acronym for something more often than not XD

I could write a python script to test that hypothesis, but let's just believe you're right. ;)

The defense industry is the worst with acronyms...there are acronyms of acronyms :eek:

Hugely OT, but related:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I always roll-eyes when I see an acronym that spells out a related word and wonder how much time was wasted to come up with that crap.
The TechCare example three posts up is an extreme example of this being abused out the wazoo.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
PHP - PHP HTML Preparser
WINE - Wine Is Not an Emulator

Both make no sense, is it infinitely nested

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015

New Raspberry Pi 3, with Element14 case, a 5.1V 2.5A adapter with an RPi logo, 16GB MicroSD card.
The fun stuff I want to do with this ! Or serious stuff. Or crazy stuff !!

The 3rd and 4th picture of the WiFi antenna (!!) built-in, it has 802.11n and BT4.1 as standard now !

Reactions: Soul_Est and jØrd

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It's the built-in WiFi antenna :eek:

For my Cerberus build, I'm planning on running ESXi to virtualize my entire PC, hardware passthrough as much as I can, switch between Windows and Linux. The RPi could be used to manage ESXi (to switch VMs, adjust settings, etc.) so I'm going to test it for that purpose. I could also use it for work as a network help if I can make it into something useful with a touch-screen and built-in keyboard.

In the end, I look at my hobbies, interests and projects and I'll always find some use for one.

EDIT: just paired my bluetooth keyboard and mouse I had laying around, now just the HDMI cable and power are attached. I could even let it run for some hours off of my 10.000MAh powerbank, Now all I need is a wireless HDMI transmitter and it could be wireless :)

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Today I got this in the mail:

I call it: THE NIBBLER !

Amazon calls it the Knipex 90 55 280.

It's hungry for metal. It must FEED.

Why are you crying, removable Lian-Li motherboard tray ? It's OK, don't worry.

Oh the horror, it chewed right true that 1.5mm aluminium like it was nothing ! But it needs MORE !

Such a straight chew, euhm cut. I barely had to sand it down, it was already extremely straight. To the left you see the nuggets of aluminium it spews out. Another awesome tool for my collection.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
This is the final result after a few minutes of filing:

It's really easy to make clean and straight cuts without warping panels. I love Mr. Nibbles !
I'm going to put some tape over the flat piece that moves over the panels to see if I can eliminate scratches.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Nice ! These are very handy tools for SFF Forum relevant activities. The amount of precision manufacturing these calipers have gone through, it's amazing.

Reactions: Soul_Est