Show your new toys Topic

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I've made myself a new toy.
A controller stand called steuntje.
The hinge is a common design you can find on the internet but the design is my own. It's cut out of a single piece of wood.
I'm going to apply a coat of oil to bring out more color and those images will be added to this album.
The 2 holes can hold 2 AA batteries in case of emergency :p

wovie

Trash Compacter
Aug 18, 2015
I've made myself a new toy.
A controller stand called steuntje.
The hinge is a common design you can find on the internet but the design is my own. It's cut out of a single piece of wood.
I'm going to apply a coat of oil to bring out more color and those images will be added to this album.
The 2 holes can hold 2 AA batteries in case of emergency :p

Wow that's really impressive, great work! On a similar note, I've been looking for a nice controller stand, anyone have recommendations? And no, I'm not skillful enough to make my own...

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Wow that's really impressive, great work! On a similar note, I've been looking for a nice controller stand, anyone have recommendations? And no, I'm not skillful enough to make my own...

Well, shameless plug actually, but I've opened up an Etsy shop with a partner of mine and we are slowly starting up.
PS3 and PS4 versions are on the way.
So if you're interested :p
https://www.etsy.com/shop/Keesfromholland

Also on instagram
https://www.instagram.com/kees_from_holland/

@PlayfulPhoenix I hope you don't mind.

Just the one word will suffice:

Awesome.

Only one way to retaliate!
Thanks.

Reactions: Phuncz

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Very cool! I could set you up with a vendor banner if you're interested in using your laser cutter for more SFF stuff.

Reactions: QinX

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I'm certainly interested, I've got some ideas brewing in my head that are going to involve the lasercutting and engraving. I've sent you a PM.

wovie

Trash Compacter
Aug 18, 2015
Well, shameless plug actually, but I've opened up an Etsy shop with a partner of mine and we are slowly starting up.

Oh, what a CONVENIENT COINCIDENCE! XD

I am interested but I need to think about it. Not to call anyone out specifically, but I literally don't have space on my desk because my [not-Nova] case is too damn bulky.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
That stand looks great! I always love seeing living-hinge designs in 'rigid' materials like wood.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I've got another new toy, this time not a custom made one, but meant to be used to show it off.

It's a Nikon D3300 with a 15-55mm lens!

My old "camera" is my Lumia 1020, nothing to sneer at but as a camera it is lousy if it doesn't get a brightly lit area.

I took some snapshots of 1 of a ASUS U500V motherboard and 4 of a Noctua fan.
Doing so really close up macro shots isn't possible. I can't focus that close. But I can still shoot some great pictures while learning more about the camera.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
A nice camera with a good all-purpose lens ! I must say that a macro lens is something you should consider, I love mine and the possbilities it gives.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
+1 on the Macro lens suggestion. I'm not familiar with the Nikon offerings but the Canon 60mm Macro is what I use for most of my product photography even when I'm not real up close because it's super sharp with almost no distortion.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
im resurrecting my very old (line out) universal dock. the shapeways cradle is new, the lightning <-> 30pin adapter & dock i already had

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I've been waiting for the last 5 or 6 Apple Keynotes that they'd unveil (good) wireless charging, but alas. Mentally I'm already there, being too lazy too plug in my gear, but with stupid hunchback cases and slow-ass charging, I just can't be convinced yet. Although wireless charging has made progress, it's not there yet.

So for now, your dock makes sense.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Bought 3 of those babies:

They sport a 16MHz 5V Atmega32U4 microcontroller on a tiny PCB. The PCB plugs directly into the USB port.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I initially thought the MC was the tiny package on the top :D Very cool, seems to use the same controller as the Arduino Micro, so easily programmable as well. What particular board is it that we're looking at here?

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
I initially thought the MC was the tiny package on the top :D

Hehe, it is the voltage regulator, the MC is on the other face.

Very cool, seems to use the same controller as the Arduino Micro, so easily programmable as well.

Exactly ! The idea is to build an active USB conversion cable for my 2 vintage keyboard. The board will be used as the USB connector on the computer side. I'm designing it a dress that will be 3D printed.

What particular board is it that we're looking at here?

This is a "BS Micro". I bought it from eBay, but you can find it under the CJMCU Beetle name on other places.

Last edited:
Reactions: iFreilicht

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Those little boards work great, but be careful as there is some mistakes on pin labels. It costed me a board that went to smoke.
  • D0 = SCL (not RX)
  • D1 = SDA (not TX)
  • D2 = RX (not SDA)
  • D3 - TX (not SCL)
SCL, SDA, Tx and Rx labels are OK. D3, D2, D1 and D0 are not where they should be. My advise for later chinese clone purchases is to always double check the legends toward datasheet pinout.

VS

Reactions: jØrd

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Okay, so I've not been around here a lot lately, but to be fair, I've not really been any place else either. I've been preoccupied with lots of little side projects. One of the biggest is below. After almost 6 years with my trusty Romaxx CNC, I upgraded in a massive way. Kind of ironic for a guy so into SFF, haha. It's a 48x48 PRO machine from CNC Router Parts. At this point, it's pretty much ready to go with the exception of setting up some auto Z setting functions.

Last edited: