Completed SFFtime presents: P-ATX v2 - 10 L case with improved ATX, AIO and 3-slot support!

Geronimo789

What's an ITX?
New User
Mar 3, 2021
Joining the bandwagon! Thanks to @riba2233 for accommodating my request! Now if I can find who has the other panda!
I had wanted to run a 3080 with the EKWB Classic waterblock and build an "AIO" for the GPU using a 120mm radiator and an Eisbar LT dangling around as my pump.

Based from my measurement I should be able to fit a 120 rad and the EKWB Classic waterblock with a reference 3080 but not luck finding a 3080 with a fair price.

Current issue now is my 3600 seems to be running hot even with the AXP100. I easily hit 75C on Prime95 with 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.175v
Looking to replace the fan with a fan adapter and mounting either a Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 14 or Thermalright TY-14013R

I will be very interested to find out the difference in thermals with another fan ! I am running a 3900x with the sape cooler, but I swapped it out with a black noctua 100mm/14. Didn’t improve thermals that much, but it is much more Quiet (and looks better IMO). I was debating on installing a 120, but heard of folks saying the 120 performed worse due to having a bigger center dead zone, and not as good of a seal.

Now if only I had my case I could turn the components on my desk into a working system, but since I ordered on jan 22 I’m probably getting one of the last ones To be shipped :D

ricsonc

Chassis Packer
Feb 4, 2021
I will be very interested to find out the difference in thermals with another fan ! I am running a 3900x with the sape cooler, but I swapped it out with a black noctua 100mm/14. Didn’t improve thermals that much, but it is much more Quiet (and looks better IMO). I was debating on installing a 120, but heard of folks saying the 120 performed worse due to having a bigger center dead zone, and not as good of a seal.

Now if only I had my case I could turn the components on my desk into a working system, but since I ordered on jan 22 I’m probably getting one of the last ones To be shipped :D
Results aren't great temperature remained the same when I changed to Thermalright's 140mm slim fan that has 120mm mounting. I also modified the Noctua L9 120mm adapter J-hack made. It ended up making more noise due to the size even at a lower 1300rpm

capy

Caliper Novice
Nov 20, 2020
Ok, in that case you are one of the first :)
Hi, I have all the components ready for the case: An Asrock x570 creator, a 5950x, the EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra, a Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 chromax.black. I did have a question, though. You suggested not putting in an additional case fan, but I set all this up in a much larger case and without a fan, the thermals were bad enough that I had to take off a side panel to avoid oveheating. Admittedly, I think I pasted the CPU poorly, but even so. Do you really think that in such a small case it can do without more cooling?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Hi, I have all the components ready for the case: An Asrock x570 creator, a 5950x, the EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra, a Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 chromax.black. I did have a question, though. You suggested not putting in an additional case fan, but I set all this up in a much larger case and without a fan, the thermals were bad enough that I had to take off a side panel to avoid oveheating. Admittedly, I think I pasted the CPU poorly, but even so. Do you really think that in such a small case it can do without more cooling?

P-ATX doesn't need any case fans, it is very well ventilated and airflow of cpu and gpu coolers are enough. Bigger cases do need them, because they don't have such direct airflow path.

That said, I think that L9a is a bit to weak for 5950x, you should probably get a bit bigger air cooler (L9a is 37mm and P-ATX V2 supports up to 59mm)

Please see this video:

ricsonc

Chassis Packer
Feb 4, 2021
Are the temperatures for Ryzen 3000 significantly bad. I saw this and saw the Hardware Canucks video where they even featured the same cooler I am using and their temperatures look fine haha

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Are the temperatures for Ryzen 3000 significantly bad. I saw this and saw the Hardware Canucks video where they even featured the same cooler I am using and their temperatures look fine haha

I am not sure, I had mine 3700x under 120mm aio and it was very cool, also under wraith spire and no problems at all. They do require a bit more thermal paste though, and some motherboards send too much voltage under stock settings.

capy

Caliper Novice
Nov 20, 2020
P-ATX doesn't need any case fans, it is very well ventilated and airflow of cpu and gpu coolers are enough. Bigger cases do need them, because they don't have such direct airflow path.

That said, I think that L9a is a bit to weak for 5950x, you should probably get a bit bigger air cooler (L9a is 37mm and P-ATX V2 supports up to 59mm)

Please see this video:

Do you have a recommendation for a good lightweight cooler for that? I am trying to keep the weight down.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Do you have a recommendation for a good lightweight cooler for that? I am trying to keep the weight down.

APX90 (not cu) or APX90-53, or ID-cooling IS60 (watch for ram clearance). Those are not copper units so shouldn't be to heavy.

GPU braces, you mean like ones used to hold the gpu additionally? Those are not needed in P-ATX since gpu is mounted vertically and is as stable as it can be.

capy

Caliper Novice
Nov 20, 2020
APX90 (not cu) or APX90-53, or ID-cooling IS60 (watch for ram clearance). Those are not copper units so shouldn't be to heavy.

GPU braces, you mean like ones used to hold the gpu additionally? Those are not needed in P-ATX since gpu is mounted vertically and is as stable as it can be.
Is my case shipping this week as you said it would last week?

capy

Caliper Novice
Nov 20, 2020
Scythe Shuriken 2 is not a bad option, it's about 350g (not to be confused with the Big Shuriken 2 which won't fit in this case)
It seems good but it also seems like none of the coolers you two mentioned are available at Microcenters. Do you know any good ones that are?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Is my case shipping this week as you said it would last week?
I would need to know your order number to give you an exact answer.

Regarding small coolers and generally specialized sff components, you should probably widen your store selection, maybe look at some online shops since they are usually less common. But for example you can just order many sff coolers from aliexpress, very simple and good prices also.

capy

Caliper Novice
Nov 20, 2020
I would need to know your order number to give you an exact answer.

Regarding small coolers and generally specialized sff components, you should probably widen your store selection, maybe look at some online shops since they are usually less common. But for example you can just order many sff coolers from aliexpress, very simple and good prices also.
I got my case, put the components, and it is working fine. I am using a Scythe Shuriken cooler. Two questions: do you know a good backpack that could fit the case, without the stand? Also, any idea what to do about low clock speeds on the 5950x?

ricsonc

Chassis Packer
Feb 4, 2021
I got my case, put the components, and it is working fine. I am using a Scythe Shuriken cooler. Two questions: do you know a good backpack that could fit the case, without the stand? Also, any idea what to do about low clock speeds on the 5950x?
You might want to weigh your build first. My build is 7KG. I am using the case in reverse but I was toying with the idea of wrapping paracord on the top or bottom grill. Issue for me is since I am using it reverse, It will be harder to wrap because of the riser standoffs being in the way.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Awesome to hear, glad you got it quickly. I haven't researched backpacks so I don't have any recommendations. Regarding clocks, you can't expect to get very high multicore clocks on 5950x with lp cooler since it adjusts it's all core clocks based on temperature, but single core should be fine and you can try playing a bit with curve optimizer to get a bit higher clocks.

capy

Caliper Novice
Nov 20, 2020
Awesome to hear, glad you got it quickly. I haven't researched backpacks so I don't have any recommendations. Regarding clocks, you can't expect to get very high multicore clocks on 5950x with lp cooler since it adjusts it's all core clocks based on temperature, but single core should be fine and you can try playing a bit with curve optimizer to get a bit higher clocks.
I almost never see anything higher than 4.7 in Task Manager, even with all but one application turned off.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I almost never see anything higher than 4.7 in Task Manager, even with all but one application turned off.
That is normal, task manager is a bit stupid in that regards. Download hwinfo64 and look at frequencies for each core, especially the max value. Or run cinebench r20 both multi
and single benchmark, so you can validate you are getting expected scores.

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019

This is not how you measure peak opportunistic boost on Ryzen CPUs, Task Manager doesn't update all that often, and peak boost for these new Ryzen CPUs are only reached under specific circumstances. As Riba said in the earlier post, you should install HWinfo64 and keep an instance running in the background, then go about doing your daily computing tasks while keeping an eye on the CPU freq report for each of the cores. There should be a ''Maximum" column that shows you the peak boost frequency reach on each of the cores (also, make sure you're not thermally constrained, as the PBO algorithm for these new Ryzen chips do appear to be temperature sensitive

Reactions: riba2233