Completed SFFtime presents: N-ATX - 14 L case with ATX mbo and psu, 4-slot gpu and 360mm rad support!

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Hi everyone,

I am very excited to show you my new design I have been working on for a very long time. It is a 14 L case that shares same design language as P-ATX case, but with slightly larger dimensions and a lot of extra possibilities.

One of the design goals for this case is that it should be a great choice for downsizing from standard ATX builds, since there is a big chance that you will be able to keep your motherboard, psu and GPU.

Awesome review by Hardware Canucks:

You can download the manual here.

Here are some pictures of my watercooled build in N-ATX prototype:

Rest of the pictures:

Here are some pictures, and yes, those are 360mm rad and 160mm long ATX psu in 14 L case!

Link to album:

I will add more pictures later, still have to test fit some components.

I will start with some renders, as you can see it looks similar to P-ATX v2:

But it's slightly larger in all three dimensions:

Link to album:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now let's talk about some specifications and hardware compatibility.

Basic specs are:

- 14 L volume with 406 x 354 x 98 mm outer dimensions
- console/"pizza box" style case with CPU and GPU fans in the same orientation for optimal airflow
- ATX power supply up to 160 mm
- vertically mounted GPU with option for additional, 2-slot gpu
- support for following motherboard sizes:
-mini-ITX
-mini-DTX
-micro-ATX
-ATX
-"e-ATX"
- support for full length triple slot graphic card, or 4-slot if using ITX sized motherboard
- support for up to 360 mm water-cooling radiator
- CPU coolers up to 79 mm in height
- support for up to three 3.5" drives, and up to eleven 2.5" drives
- back of motherboard accessible for cooler and M.2 installation
- 2 front USB 3.0 ports
- included ADT PCI-e x16 3.0 GPU riser cable
- sturdy powder-coated steel construction - 1/1.2 mm frame with 0.8 mm side panels and 2.5 mm aluminum front/top face
- narrow footprint - only 397 cm2 or 471 cm2 with included stand – ideal for desktop installation

There are many possible HW configurations, so I will show renders of possible configurations and list max component sizes for each:

1. Basic air cooled configuration:

Here we have:

-ATX motherboard (or e-ATX up to 275 mm long if using SFX psu)
-ATX psu up to 160 mm
-3-slot GPU up to 140 mm tall and 400 mm long
-air cooler for CPU up to 79 mm tall
-HDD support as follows:
-if gpu is less than 298 mm - three 3.5" drives or nine 2.5" drives
-if gpu is less than 330 mm - one 3.5" drive and six 2.5" drives
-if gpu is over 330 mm - one 3.5" drive
-notes: if using 3.5" HDD's, psu length is limited to 140mm. Additional 2.5" drives can be mounted to PCI brackets
-radiators up to 120mm if the gpu is less than 275 mm long, up to 60 mm thick
-radiators up to 140mm if the gpu is less then 245 mm long, up to 60mm thick (this limits psu to SFX units)
-case fans - 80mm on top of the case, and up to 140 mm rear if not using all HDD positions or radiators

2. When using ITX motherboard:

If you use ITX motherboard, you open up the lower part of the case for either:

-4-slot GPU up to 140mm tall and 400 mm long

Or:

-360 mm or 240 mm radiator, with rad + fan thickness depending on GPU width:
-with 1-slot gpu - 30 mm rad + 25 mm fan
-with 2-slot gpu - 30 mm rad + 15 mm fan
-with gpu in upper position - 60 mm rad + 25 mm fan

HDD support is limited in this configuration, depending on gpu and radiator size.

-there is 80 mm of space between ITX motherboard and ATX psu, so there is a space for D5 pump (mounting holes not provided). There is 105 mm of space if using SFX psu.

3. With GPU in upper position:

With additional bracket and short riser, you can mount GPU in upper position. Note that this severely limits CPU cooler clearance, as follows:
- 35 mm or up to the top of IO shield with 2-slot gpu
- 55 mm with 1-slot gpu

This means that this configuration is heavily oriented toward water cooling, and you will have to use some very low profile blocks and RAM if you have 2-slot gpu in this position.
But with single slot water-cooled gpu you can use standard block with standard fittings.

You can use ATX motherboard in this configuration.

There is also alternative mount for SFX and SFX-L psu in the bottom, and with that you can use 240mm radiator (with gpu length up to 270mm) or 280mm radiator with gpu up to 245 mm long. (note - if you use slim radiator, up to 30 mm, with slim 15 mm fans, you can install longer GPU).

I think that this will allow for some interesting configurations with new RTX cards since they have short PCB's and some waterblocks will be single slot. And also you can use very thick radiator, up to 60 mm.

As you have noticed I have not written compatibility in detail for all configuration, because there are just to many options. I will try to make some interactive guide to simplify things, but until then the compatibility list is not official and not final!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading, I know that you will have a lot of questions, and I can't wait to answer all of them :)

Last edited:

shinwilliams

Case Bender
New User
Sep 24, 2020
Longtime lurker in the P-ATX threads here, have had my eye on the N-ATX for quite some time. Looks awesome and I'm pretty sure this might be the only case this size that can fit an ATX mb, 240+ AIO and a full sized GPU all in one! Can't wait to see more and am looking forward to being able to purchase this beauty.

One question, do you think the new design on the Nvidia FE card coolers having the passthrough fan would hurt CPU temps with it blowing right onto the motherboard when it's in the upper position? Perhaps third party cards with more traditional style coolers would work better in that position. That said in the ITX config you showed with the AIO on the bottom the passthrough design may actually work even better.

Reactions: riba2233

Retrias

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 28, 2018
Its.... Its actually everything I ever wanted from an atx case, it reminds me of the thermaltake g3 but its everything I ever wanted from it
1. 3 slot compatbility
2.Its smaller
3. it have another PCIe Mount up top for expansions such as network cards and storage cards

On an air cooled config what CPU and cooler config have you tested?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Great idea and probably the smallest case which would support up to 4 slot GPUs.

Did you ever think about making a bracket for your cases which would allow to hook them behind your TV? Not saying your case should be hidden away but this would make a super clean living room couch gaming setup. :)

Criko

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 1, 2016
Congratulations on designing such an amazing case! Being able to move the PSU over the PCI slots is ingenious for pass through air in front when using an ATX motherboard.

I have been designing my own that is EXTREMELY similar for over a couple of years now(not going to market or anything) and I'm excited to see what other kind of solutions you found for some of the problems I ran into.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Thank you for your comments guys, here are the answers:

Longtime lurker in the P-ATX threads here, have had my eye on the N-ATX for quite some time. Looks awesome and I'm pretty sure this might be the only case this size that can fit an ATX mb, 240+ AIO and a full sized GPU all in one! Can't wait to see more and am looking forward to being able to purchase this beauty.

One question, do you think the new design on the Nvidia FE card coolers having the passthrough fan would hurt CPU temps with it blowing right onto the motherboard when it's in the upper position? Perhaps third party cards with more traditional style coolers would work better in that position. That said in the ITX config you showed with the AIO on the bottom the passthrough design may actually work even better.

Thank you, I plan on releasing this case as soon as I can. With gpu in upper position you will probably use some kind of water cooling for cpu so it shouldn't have any problems with heat, but yeh, traditional axial cards would probably have better airflow path. With ITX board and some fans behind the GPU you can really pus some air over it yeah :)

Its.... Its actually everything I ever wanted from an atx case, it reminds me of the thermaltake g3 but its everything I ever wanted from it
1. 3 slot compatbility
2.Its smaller
3. it have another PCIe Mount up top for expansions such as network cards and storage cards

On an air cooled config what CPU and cooler config have you tested?

Thanks! I actually haven't test anything yet since I'm still waiting for a prototype and tbh I don't have any air coolers that I can test (I have big shinoby rev 2 b but no am4 mount), but I do have IS-60 on order (interested to test it with 25mm thick fan, I have both noctua a12x25 and arctic P12 to test) and I should probably get noctua l12s or phanteks PH-TC12LS to test.

Great idea and probably the smallest case which would support up to 4 slot GPUs.

Did you ever think about making a bracket for your cases which would allow to hook them behind your TV? Not saying your case should be hidden away but this would make a super clean living room couch gaming setup. :)

Thanks, yeah 4-slot is maybe not so important right now, but we are getting bigger and bigger GPU's.
I haven't thought about it yet, but I will consider it if I start selling more cases.

Congratulations on designing such an amazing case! Being able to move the PSU over the PCI slots is ingenious for pass through air in front when using an ATX motherboard.

I have been designing my own that is EXTREMELY similar for over a couple of years now(not going to market or anything) and I'm excited to see what other kind of solutions you found for some of the problems I ran into.

Thank you a lot, I'm glad you like it! I am interested to see your design if you'd like to share, you can put a link if you have it posted somewhere :)

Retrias

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 28, 2018
Thanks! I actually haven't test anything yet since I'm still waiting for a prototype and tbh I don't have any air coolers that I can test (I have big shinoby rev 2 b but no am4 mount), but I do have IS-60 on order (interested to test it with 25mm thick fan, I have both noctua a12x25 and arctic P12 to test) and I should probably get noctua l12s or phanteks PH-TC12LS to test.
thanks for the answer , I am interested in the phanteks cooler or the is60 for this case , is there a way to check to where you are allowed to deliver the case ? I heard there are some countries that you cant deliver to

edit :nvm i found a list where you can deliver it to

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
thanks for the answer , I am interested in the phanteks cooler or the is60 for this case , is there a way to check to where you are allowed to deliver the case ? I heard there are some countries that you cant deliver to

edit :nvm i found a list where you can deliver it to

Yes, we have a list on our website:

You can tell me where are you from so I can double check if anything changed.

Retrias

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 28, 2018
I am from Indonesia, so prolly not on the list since its covid party here , I could use a singapore based on Hongkong based forwarder though

Criko

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 1, 2016
Thank you a lot, I'm glad you like it! I am interested to see your design if you'd like to share, you can put a link if you have it posted somewhere :)

Sure thing, it's by no means a finished model as you can see by missing vent holes and things of that nature. I'm still figuring out a few more issues before I start getting detailed.

Current size is 408x348x103, 14.6L
The motherboard tray can moved moved to 8 different spots depending on my needs, like graphics card size, radiator support, water cooling, cable management, etc...

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Sure thing, it's by no means a finished model as you can see by missing vent holes and things of that nature. I'm still figuring out a few more issues before I start getting detailed.

Current size is 408x348x103, 14.6L
The motherboard tray can moved moved to 8 different spots depending on my needs, like graphics card size, radiator support, water cooling, cable management, etc...

Nice, thank you for posting, outer dimensions are certainly similar :) Good luck with your project!

Reactions: Criko

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Looks great riba. See attached image for annoying questions/suggestions ?...I'm only asking because no one else is ?

Haha don't worry, I'm always glad to answer all questions!

1. second 80mm fan - potentially yes, but there is a mounting post interfering with it. So only one for now, but I would say that it is enough.
2. How thin not to interfere? I would say 30mm rad + 15mm fan and you are ok.
3. bifurcated riser - it's an option of course if anyone wants to mess with it, but I won't sell it, it's to niche.
4. single slot behind psu - in theory yes, but it would have to be something that doesn't heat up
5. hdd/ssd in front of fans/rads - yeah, mount is always there, so you can at least ad one ssd, maybe two
6. fans under gpu - yes if they are 20mm thick or less. Under the case would be a bit harder since there are flanges from side panels.

If I'm being brutally honest, I don't like the stand. I can't think of any designs that would fit better though. That's my only complaint. Everything else is awesome.

I get it, not everyone likes it and I am aware of it. This design ticks many boxes for me, from usability, manufacturing and design aspect, it could be a bit better looking but I would compromise some other aspects then. And some people like it :) But thank you for the honesty, I really appreciate it and I'm glad that you like the rest :)

Full monolith might work better?

Yeah lol, nice design but lacks ventilation and the stand is not removable which is very important to me.

Now you're making me wish I had waited instead of getting a P-ATX v1. Also, technically SLI is supported with this case, right?

Well you got to have them all ?

Yes, technically it is, but there would be some compromises so I won't advertise it that way.

HYPERBOLOCO

Trash Compacter
Sep 27, 2015
Haha don't worry, I'm always glad to answer all questions!

1. second 80mm fan - potentially yes, but there is a mounting post interfering with it. So only one for now, but I would say that it is enough.
2. How thin not to interfere? I would say 30mm rad + 15mm fan and you are ok.
3. bifurcated riser - it's an option of course if anyone wants to mess with it, but I won't sell it, it's to niche.
4. single slot behind psu - in theory yes, but it would have to be something that doesn't heat up
5. hdd/ssd in front of fans/rads - yeah, mount is always there, so you can at least ad one ssd, maybe two
6. fans under gpu - yes if they are 20mm thick or less. Under the case would be a bit harder since there are flanges from side panels.

Thanks for answering! in regards to number 5 would a 3.5" HDD be mountable? Also You would be surprised about the ventilation on that case. If I remember correctly it was based on the Silverstone RV02/FT02.

Lastly...this might be a bit radical but have you thought about incorporating a low profile horizontal backplate for the lower section?