Cooling SFFn CPU Cooler Shoot-Out

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
For fan description I updated the Intel chart yesterday to match closer to what you suggested but haven't updated the AMD chart yet. I was considering using the same server units to measure as Frostytech that you linked, but I went a little different because most 120mm fan coolers are in the 55 to 85 mm range so I went a little different. In the future I'd like a chart where the user can set the height limit themselves and the chart automatically filters to the 5-10 best under that limit.

rocklobster

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 30, 2018
For fan description I updated the Intel chart yesterday to match closer to what you suggested but haven't updated the AMD chart yet. I was considering using the same server units to measure as Frostytech that you linked, but I went a little different because most 120mm fan coolers are in the 55 to 85 mm range so I went a little different. In the future I'd like a chart where the user can set the height limit themselves and the chart automatically filters to the 5-10 best under that limit.

What would you recommend as a good replacement fan for the IS-60? I've been considering the Scythe Slipstream Slim LP (120 x 120 x 12) but I'm worried about the noise, airflow and static pressure that a slimmer fan will deliver. It seems like there aren't many choices for 120mm fans under 15mm that have sufficient airflow and static pressure. The Prolimatech fans I checked out have high airflow but not great static pressure.

jxfong2

Caliper Novice
Mar 7, 2019
What would you recommend as a good replacement fan for the IS-60? I've been considering the Scythe Slipstream Slim LP (120 x 120 x 12) but I'm worried about the noise, airflow and static pressure that a slimmer fan will deliver. It seems like there aren't many choices for 120mm fans under 15mm that have sufficient airflow and static pressure. The Prolimatech fans I checked out have high airflow but not great static pressure.
High airflow fan is good enough for low profile cooler, the difference between high static pressure fan and high airflow fan is very small (<2 celsius) on all slim downdraft cooler (except blackridge).

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Noctua NF-A12x15 is a good replacement fan for stock IS-60 fan.

Reactions: IntoxicatedPuma

rocklobster

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 30, 2018
Well, well...I still like Noctua brown theme..:D

Noctua's A12x15 seems to be the fan of choice, but was really hoping for better budget offerings that do high static pressure within 15mm thickness, like from Scythe, Prolimatech, Cooler Master or Cryorig.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Noctua's A12x15 seems to be the fan of choice, but was really hoping for better budget offerings that do high static pressure within 15mm thickness, like from Scythe, Prolimatech, Cooler Master or Cryorig.
Yes and no. At least nf a12x15 is around 20€...far away from 30€ of nf a12x25..:)

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Just an idea, most slim 140mm fans have 120mm fan mounts, so you might be able to use one of them. There performance may or may not be better, but just thought I'd mention it if you'd like. Prolimatech's usv14 is very solid.

rocklobster

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 30, 2018
Just an idea, most slim 140mm fans have 120mm fan mounts, so you might be able to use one of them. There performance may or may not be better, but just thought I'd mention it if you'd like. Prolimatech's usv14 is very solid.

Already have the 140mm fan, just came in the mail today and haven't fixed it up yet, but looks solid so far, definitely looks well made.

The reason for 12mm fans is also to fit underneath a GPU to act as an exhaust. My MSI 1070 Aero ITX is blowing really hard to keep cool, i was wondering in a skinny 12mm fan just below it would help as an exhaust to keep it cool. 15mm seems to thick, 12mm could be possible be a right squeeze.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Already have the 140mm fan, just came in the mail today and haven't fixed it up yet, but looks solid so far, definitely looks well made.

The reason for 12mm fans is also to fit underneath a GPU to act as an exhaust. My MSI 1070 Aero ITX is blowing really hard to keep cool, i was wondering in a skinny 12mm fan just below it would help as an exhaust to keep it cool. 15mm seems to thick, 12mm could be possible be a right squeeze.
I don't know any 12mm thick ones, but raijintek and Thermalright both have 13mm thick 140mm fans with 120mm mounts.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
What others had said, the A12x15 is a good choice if you want the same clearance. The A12x25 offers a smidge better cooling with quieter operation if you can spare the extra 10mm. A 140mm fan won't make much difference from what I have seen, but it could help cool the VRM (I haven't tested that so I can't confirm it)

I will be doing a fan comparison in May with several Scythe, BeQuiet, Noctua, and other fans. I am not expecting anything to exceed the A12x25 without being drastically louder however. I am hopeful Scythe's 120mm or 140mm slim can be competitive with the A12x15.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
What others had said, the A12x15 is a good choice if you want the same clearance. The A12x25 offers a smidge better cooling with quieter operation if you can spare the extra 10mm. A 140mm fan won't make much difference from what I have seen, but it could help cool the VRM (I haven't tested that so I can't confirm it)

I will be doing a fan comparison in May with several Scythe, BeQuiet, Noctua, and other fans. I am not expecting anything to exceed the A12x25 without being drastically louder however. I am hopeful Scythe's 120mm or 140mm slim can be competitive with the A12x15.
Don't forget to look into Arctic's p12 pwm fan. Great for rads and pretty dang quiet. From what I've seen it's within 2-4° of the nf-a12x25 and only like 2-3dB louder, and it is about 1/3 the price, since it's only ~$10usd vs noctua's nf-a12x25 @ ~$30usd! And it's quieter than noctua's own nf-p12 pwm with essentially the same thermal performance (1-3°)

That's what I've heard.... But just a reminder to keep them on the radar. :)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Don't forget to look into Arctic's p12 pwm fan. Great for rads and pretty dang quiet. From what I've seen it's within 2-4° of the nf-a12x25 and only like 2-3dB louder, and it is about 1/3 the price, since it's only ~$10usd vs noctua's nf-a12x25 @ ~$30usd! And it's quieter than noctua's own nf-p12 pwm with essentially the same thermal performance (1-3°)

That's what I've heard.... But just a reminder to keep them on the radar. :)
Artic's fans are targeting best ratio performance/price...and generally they are reaching it..;)

However, quality is not always on target. Already experienced some motor noise on their fan (I'm pretty sensitive to that noise, like AIO pump noise).
It happened also once of one of my noctua fans, but after-sales was great as they provided me a replacement fan.

rocklobster

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 30, 2018
Artic's fans are targeting best ratio performance/price...and generally they are reaching it..;)

However, quality is not always on target. Already experienced some motor noise on their fan (I'm pretty sensitive to that noise, like AIO pump noise).
It happened also once of one of my noctua fans, but after-sales was great as they provided me a replacement fan.

How are ID Cooling fans? I chanced upon some smaller 9215 fans to replace a PSU fan that is driving me crazy with noise. 92mm x 15mm, 44.3CFM but pretty loud at 33db, though aliexpress lists it as 21-22db

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Recently updated the charts with the follow coolers:

Intel - Thermolab LP53, Silverstone AR06, AR11, Thermaltake Engine 27, Scythe Kozuti, Jitte, Alpenfoehn Blackridge, Cryorig C7

AMD - Noctua NH-U9S, Alpenfoehn Blackridge, Cryorig C7

Scythe Jitte is not fitting on the Asrock X470 ITX (AM4) board, the mounting bracket covers a capaciter and cannot be tightened down :(

Intel Low Profile 65W - ID-Cooling IS-25i, Thermaltake Engine 27, Noctua NH-L9i, Scythe Kozuti, Jitte, CoolServer 40mm 1U tower

Coming in the next week: Scythe Shuriken 2, Shuriken 3, Thermalright AXP100 Full Copper, AXP100RH, ID-Cooling IS-30

After this I will be taking a small break from testing and will be making some videos to do a deep dive on some coolers as well as fans. If you have any requests for coolers to be tested let me know. I have quite a few stuck in China still so if they are on that list, it could be late summer before I can get to them. If they are not ones I already own, I will prioritize getting those.