Cooling SFFn CPU Cooler Shoot-Out

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
@IntoxicatedPuma just want to check why is the Black Ridge with A12x15 fan listed at 68mm in the chart? It should only be 64mm at most (47mm heatsink + 15mm fan + 2mm fan clip). I'm using the setup in my X1 case (65mm clearance) and there's still 1-2mm gap left.

also today the Raijintek Pallas just popped up on my radar. not sure how accessible it is to you but really appreciate it if you could test and add it to the chart. keep up the great work!

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
@IntoxicatedPuma just want to check why is the Black Ridge with A12x15 fan listed at 68mm in the chart? It should only be 64mm at most (47mm heatsink + 15mm fan + 2mm fan clip). I'm using the setup in my X1 case (65mm clearance) and there's still 1-2mm gap left.

also today the Raijintek Pallas just popped up on my radar. not sure how accessible it is to you but really appreciate it if you could test and add it to the chart. keep up the great work!

It was probably a typo. I'll double check the height and update it.

And yeah, I actually tested it a few weeks ago but haven't gotten around to updating the list yet. It did about on par with similar size coolers.

• Love
Reactions: thelaughingman

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I can barely get through what I have and they gotta go do this! The new Noctua cooler should be coming out around the same time too.
by new Noctua you mean the L12 Ghost edition right? seems like a straightup re-badge/label of the old L12 (same heatsink, fin, maybe change from the B9 fan to the A9 fan) so a bit dissapointed.
also per J-HACK there will be another version with 120mm slim RGB fan, even I don't like the multiple SKUs LOL

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
For the Z490-I Gaming, it says two M.2 at top. I wonder how they find space to accommodate 2 M.2 SSDs? Could it, somehow, they are stacked? This could be an improvement as an M.2 on back usually just does not have much ventilation.
by new Noctua you mean the L12 Ghost edition right? seems like a straightup re-badge/label of the old L12 (same heatsink, fin, maybe change from the B9 fan to the A9 fan) so a bit dissapointed.
also per J-HACK there will be another version with 120mm slim RGB fan, even I don't like the multiple SKUs LOL

I had heard it would be similar to the old L12 but didn't know it was the same. Although that alone may not be too bad, it's been hard to find an L12 recently!

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I had heard it would be similar to the old L12 but didn't know it was the same. Although that alone may not be too bad, it's been hard to find an L12 recently!
sure is because it is EOL haha. though would be interesting to test whether the A9 fan or the A12x15 would be better for it. hmm

billabong2606

Caliper Novice
Jul 25, 2020
Hey @IntoxicatedPuma ! I made an account just to say your work is very, very helpful and thank you so much!

I recently built my first PC in a Silverstone SG13, and am limited to air coolers due to constant travels. From what I've been reading so far, I came to the conclusion that the best airflow scheme for my case would require my CPU cooler to blow air away from my mobo (is this called updraft? Idk tbh).

Because of this, I am currently looking at the Noctua NH-L12s and the ID-Cooling IS-60 (also at the IS-47k). May I know what fan orientation were you using when testing both these coolers? I would assume that you tested the IS-60 at stock orientation (downdraft), while the NH-L12s blowing up?

Reactions: IntoxicatedPuma

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
For the IS60, I only tested with the fan blowing down (aimed at motherboard). On the Black Ridge and the L12S I tested both with the fan blowing up and down.
FYI I updated my testing suite and will be releasing an article very soon with an in depth comparison. I'll get you some info on my results in just a few minutes.

I am also planning to do an in depth look at situations specifically like yours at some point in the next month or two, because I have also wondered how to best handle a situation like that.

Last of all, I just got an IS47k for testing but haven't had a chance to run tests yet.

Thanks for the feedback!

Reactions: billabong2606

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
@billabong2606

Cooler + fan setup - fan speed at 100% & Delta temp

IS-60 (stock fan, blowing down) - 1520 rpm @ +60.7C delta
IS-60 (A12x15, blowing down) - 1717 rpm @ 59.5C delta
L12S (stock fan, below cooler blowing up) - 1839 rpm @ 52.3C delta
L12S (stock fan, below cooler blowing down) - 1785 rpm @ 54.3C delta
L12S (stock fan, above cooler blowing down) - 1781 rpm @ 53.3C delta

Generally speaking in the updated test, the L12S outperformed the IS60 by around 8C at all fan speeds. For the L12S, the temps do have some temp variation with different fan orientation, but it is very close to the margin of error. However, since I tested the different fan orientations in rapid succession, I would be pretty confident that the fan blowing upwards would be the most effective on the test bench. I would also agree that you are right, in such a case design it'd be better to have the fan blow upwards. I am planning to do an in depth test on the same case situation you are dealing with, but on the J-Hack Pure XL (similar design). It will be a few weeks before I get around to starting that though.

Reactions: billabong2606

billabong2606

Caliper Novice
Jul 25, 2020
@billabong2606

Cooler + fan setup - fan speed at 100% & Delta temp

IS-60 (stock fan, blowing down) - 1520 rpm @ +60.7C delta
IS-60 (A12x15, blowing down) - 1717 rpm @ 59.5C delta
L12S (stock fan, below cooler blowing up) - 1839 rpm @ 52.3C delta
L12S (stock fan, below cooler blowing down) - 1785 rpm @ 54.3C delta
L12S (stock fan, above cooler blowing down) - 1781 rpm @ 53.3C delta

Generally speaking in the updated test, the L12S outperformed the IS60 by around 8C at all fan speeds. For the L12S, the temps do have some temp variation with different fan orientation, but it is very close to the margin of error. However, since I tested the different fan orientations in rapid succession, I would be pretty confident that the fan blowing upwards would be the most effective on the test bench. I would also agree that you are right, in such a case design it'd be better to have the fan blow upwards. I am planning to do an in depth test on the same case situation you are dealing with, but on the J-Hack Pure XL (similar design). It will be a few weeks before I get around to starting that though.

Thank you so much for doing these! You're literally a godsend! This may sound selfish of me, but is it possible for you to re-test the IS-60 with the fans blowing up (away from the motherboard)? Also, do you reckon that using a thicker fan (25mm) would yield a better result or is the improvement not that significant for both the IS-60 and the L12S?

Once again, thank you so much for doing what you do. I'm looking forward to your review of the latest ID-Cooling IS-47K. Are you planning to test that out with the Noctua backplate? Because I saw from this thread that it helps to bring down temps by a lot compared to using the stock backplate.