Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

Viper GTS

Case Bender
New User
Aug 17, 2021
After a whole lot of profanity and testing I have narrowed the issue down to the 5700G not liking my Alienware AW3821DW display. If I power the machine on with a fully installed and configured OS it will happily boot into Windows and function completely fine. I took the machine to a spare TV in the house and it works as you would expect. Why I had no such issues with the 3200G, I have no idea. I have managed to make it into the BIOS once on both HDMI and DP via 5700G so I know it will occasionally work but it's on the order of maybe 5% of the time or less. Even restarting into UEFI settings from Windows and touching nothing just results in a black screen.

To further clarify how I discovered this - One of the few times it actually initialized correctly and booted all the way into my Windows install with the 5700G I noticed the graphics driver that was previously installed (for the 3200G) was not working and Windows had reverted to a basic display adapter. I downloaded and installed the correct driver for the 5700G and from that point it works fine as soon as drivers load. Getting anything before that is exceedingly rare but does occasionally happen.

User on reddit suggested it may be a UEFI GOP issue with Cezanne and some displays, based on quick google I agree this seems likely. This seems like something that should be fixable, and those with multiple monitors around will have an easier time. I gave away my extra monitors during the early WFH rush so don't have a lot of test ability compared to the before.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
My Acer XR341CK (3440x1440 75Hz) also has issues with full RGB support not always working, going down to 4:2:0 sometimes. I figured it's an issue with DisplayPort but considering it happens once a week at max, I can't be bothered to test other DisplayPort cables.

This was on my deceased GTX 1080, it's now connected over HDMI at 75Hz (with a custom resolution prodfile) with an HDMI cable on a GT 1030.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Decided to update my X300. Waiting on 5700g and
new monitor. Then I'm set!!

What are you using to control the RGB? I assume some USB connected controller but I'm curious since they tend to be pretty big and I don't see a ton of wasted space.

density disruptor

Chassis Packer
Jun 8, 2018
What are you using to control the RGB? I assume some USB connected controller but I'm curious since they tend to be pretty big and I don't see a ton of wasted space.
Yeah Im using sp601e rgb controller. Its pretty small hidden behind the desk.
Im not using it with usb. I didnt want additional items added to my x300. I hate
wires and want them hidden as much as possible. Only drawback is the controller
has its own tiny power brick so that has to be hidden also. The controller is pretty
decent and has some nice effects/modes.

Btf-Lighting sp601e bought on amazon like 16$

Reactions: Curiosity

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
@density disruptor understood.
I was looking at solutions to run rgb with control via windows in the past, and assumed you were doing something similar.
Separate external RGB control makes a lot of sense though.

Cheers!

ConsolidatedResults

Average Stuffer
May 4, 2019
A question or quick heads up for the 5600G on X300 BIOS 1.70 - For me it appears that as soon as I manually set GPU Frequency in BIOS (in this case to 2000 MHz), the system seems to raise SOC voltage to around 1.5V. This happens even if I set SOC voltage manually to a sane level. The normal value for the system on Auto is around 1.1375V - 1.15V. Just got the 5600G yesterday and I am not happy about this :/ Only was running a couple minutes before I noticed. I reset BIOS and only changed GPU frequency to confirm it did not come from any other setting. Not willing to test more as I guess that kind of voltage will make short work of the CPU quickly.

Anyone noticed the same? Maybe just noticed it becoming unstable when setting GPU frequency? What's it like for the 4000G CPUs?

• Wow
Reactions: ratundtat

yck3110

Cable Smoosher
Jul 16, 2019
Does anyone who have already build deskmini x300 with 5600g/5700g
would you mind to do a little test on the effects of changing the cTDP /TDP setting to like 35W/45W in the x300 BIOS,
in terms of the power usage, single/ multi core performance /thermals of the 5600g/5700g using the stock wraith stealth cooler ?
I would like to know whether the 120W power supply could handle 5600g/5700g?
or would the 35W/45W settings could keep deliver most the single core performance, and make the cpu much cooler / consume less power usage?

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
i using arch linux. a part of my hardware-settings of x300 is a display-port to hdmi adapter. It is possible that this break the energy save feature. so if the monitor is going black, than not longer activate the screen. atm i am using only hdmi with 1 monitor. i do not know, if it is a problem of the OS. on the second deskmini A300 is the energy feature no problem, with manjaro linux, but no display-port-adapter. perhaps it is a next problem of the perfect development of the uefi-firmware.

for my newest usb problem, i switched my dvb-s stick in an usb2 hub. in my usb3 hub (worked 1yr without problem) it breaks.

for OC RAM i set it from 3566mhz(!?) to 3400 mhz as i flashed firmware 1.70, because some games not longer work.

Last edited:

eldy

Cable Smoosher
Aug 14, 2019
Hi, I just downgraded my A300 (3.7bios) from 2400G to 3000G CPU so I can get Windows 11 when it's ready on Tuesday. Ive run the Windows 11 Health check app and it says 3000G is not compatible?! It sure is when checking the Microsoft Windows 11CPU compatibility website, do I need a more recent bios installed perhaps? I noticed 3.6k and 3.70b is available in beta so is it worth updating bios for better comparability with 3000G?

HydrAxx747

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2021
Hi, I just downgraded my A300 (3.7bios) from 2400G to 3000G CPU so I can get Windows 11 when it's ready on Tuesday. Ive run the Windows 11 Health check app and it says 3000G is not compatible?! It sure is when checking the Microsoft Windows 11CPU compatibility website, do I need a more recent bios installed perhaps? I noticed 3.6k and 3.70b is available in beta so is it worth updating bios for better comparability with 3000G?
Hi, try with the latest Beta BIOS (with support for Ryzen 4xxxG APUs called "Renoir") which was unofficially released, BIOS "v3.60S" because your compatibility issue with Athlon 3000G under Windows 11 is maybe due to the AMD AGESA Firmware version present in the latest official BIOS for the DeskMini A300 which all use the old AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 v1.0.0.1 which is really obsolete because in the BIOS "v3.60S", the AMD AGESA firmware version is "Combo-AM4v2Pi 1.0.8.0" which is 2 years later and during these updates, there was not only support for new CPUs / APUs but also a number of fixes bugs, security standard updates, support for new standards, improved performance and stability in general, etc... but you can view part of the changelog on this page: https://botflakes.github.io/ASRockWiki/beta_bios/info/about_agesa

A small data table to give you an idea of the updated module set and which makes it clear that ASRock really does not want its DeskMini A300 to be able to continue to evolve since the release of the Deskmini X300 and which also explains why Betas BIOS from v3.60L to v3.60S are really unwanted leaks from ASRock, because we quickly understand that if they wanted a BIOS with the latest version of AMD AGESA is possible and that we could without problems mounted Ryzen 5xxxG (Cézanne) on DeskMini A300 (but good as always: "money before people").

And yes, if you want a place to download the BIOS Beta "v3.60S" for A300, look here you will have everything you need:

Hoping that this much more up-to-date bios will allow you to fully run Windows 11.
My greetings ;-)

eldy

Cable Smoosher
Aug 14, 2019
Hi, try with the latest Beta BIOS (with support for Ryzen 4xxxG APUs called "Renoir") which was unofficially released, BIOS "v3.60S" because your compatibility issue with Athlon 3000G under Windows 11 is maybe due to the AMD AGESA Firmware version present in the latest official BIOS for the DeskMini A300 which all use the old AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 v1.0.0.1 which is really obsolete because in the BIOS "v3.60S", the AMD AGESA firmware version is "Combo-AM4v2Pi 1.0.8.0" which is 2 years later and during these updates, there was not only support for new CPUs / APUs but also a number of fixes bugs, security standard updates, support for new standards, improved performance and stability in general, etc... but you can view part of the changelog on this page: https://botflakes.github.io/ASRockWiki/beta_bios/info/about_agesa

A small data table to give you an idea of the updated module set and which makes it clear that ASRock really does not want its DeskMini A300 to be able to continue to evolve since the release of the Deskmini X300 and which also explains why Betas BIOS from v3.60L to v3.60S are really unwanted leaks from ASRock, because we quickly understand that if they wanted a BIOS with the latest version of AMD AGESA is possible and that we could without problems mounted Ryzen 5xxxG (Cézanne) on DeskMini A300 (but good as always: "money before people").

And yes, if you want a place to download the BIOS Beta "v3.60S" for A300, look here you will have everything you need:

Hoping that this much more up-to-date bios will allow you to fully run Windows 11.
My greetings ;-)
thankyou for that, very helpful. So I have upgraded to v3.60S and the Windows 11 Health Checker app still says 3000G is not compatible! I can only assume its a bug in the app, I suppose I will find out Tuesday.

g_l

Caliper Novice
May 20, 2021
So I'm about to run my X300 off a powertool 18V battery. This actually outputs 21V when fully charged (5 x 4.2V max Li-ion cells = 21V). the DC converter on the motherboard can hopefully handle it (~+10%).

Anyone tried running >= 21V? if not I'll let you know how it goes.

Reactions: Curiosity

yuusou

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2019
I'm surprised that it works that low. any side effects?

seems the DC converter has a wide input range. I wonder what the upper limit is ...
I got 12V based on other users here running 12V. I also wanted to power a dedicated GPU so 12V was imperative. Don't know of anyone whose gone above specs however.

g_l

Caliper Novice
May 20, 2021
I got 12V based on other users here running 12V. I also wanted to power a dedicated GPU so 12V was imperative. Don't know of anyone whose gone above specs however.
that's perfect for the 18V Li-ion battery, as that starts at 21V and drops down to around 14-15V, so it will use the whole capacity before the battery protection kicks in and just switches off. have asked Asrock support if 21V is safe, any idea how long they take to respond? will try in the next few days either way.

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
I've run it briefly on a brick for my wife's Lenovo laptop, it puts out 2.5A@20v. ran it until it shut down from pushing it too hard with benchmarks.

Also largely run mine on 12v with no I'll effects I've noticed after about a year.

Usually ASRock support replies fairly quickly if they know the answer, I believe. @g_l

Reactions: g_l

g_l

Caliper Novice
May 20, 2021
I've run it briefly on a brick for my wife's Lenovo laptop, it puts out 2.5A@20v. ran it until it shut down from pushing it too hard with benchmarks.

Also largely run mine on 12v with no I'll effects I've noticed after about a year.

Usually ASRock support replies fairly quickly if they know the answer, I believe. @g_l

Yeah 20V should be fine, I've measured the stock 120W PSU at 19.6V (no load). They will all vary a little so 20V should be no problem, 21V most likely will work fine too.

g_l

Caliper Novice
May 20, 2021
Yeah 20V should be fine, I've measured the stock 120W PSU at 19.6V (no load). They will all vary a little so 20V should be no problem, 21V most likely will work fine too.
Asrock support do not know the answer, but they're checking with Taiwan ...

EDIT: Taiwain didn't provide anything either. will try and report back ...

Last edited: