Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

rubicoin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 12, 2020
The CPU cores and memory controller run on entirely separate voltage rails (vCore and vSOC respectively, with the DIMMs themselves having separate voltage regulation circuitry close to the slots), regulated independently, and controllable independently, so what you say here makes no sense. The cores needing less voltage to reach/sustain their clocks should have zero effect on the IMC's voltages.

Besides, the 3200 spec for Renoir is at 1.2V, the stadard JEDEC DDR4 voltage. 2666 or even 2133 doesn't use a lower voltage than this. Of course, many XMP/DOCP settings apply 1.35V or higher for high clocking memory, which is less of a guarantee, but any modern IMC should handle that just fine (1.35V over 1.2V is a 12.5% increase - if the Renoir IMC can't handle that, they have a very serious manufacturing or design issue on their hands).

also manifacturing variation could not be so bad that rated 3200 mhz had to be lowered to 2666 mhz because of it. i understand that higher end 4750g like apus were not desinged for low end mobos like A300-STX, but it still seems a major hardware issue for me.

thanks for asking JZ and sharing all the information here though, it's good to here that they are working on a solution!

Reactions: alles_alles

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Yes But it does't concerns the cpu part . It concerns the gpu part . I forgot to say that. So I know how instability VEGA can run if you set the wrong settings. And this error that jz write to i can redjust on my 3400g to if i overclock ram settings too high. ;) So this part is a bit in trouble . the igpu part of cpu.
Okay, yeah, that changes things completely. But are they saying you can't run the iGPU at stock clocks with 1.2V DDR4-3200; that you can't run the iGPU at stock clocks with 1.35V DDR4-3200, or that you can't run the iGPU at an OC with (whatever voltage) DDR4-3200?

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
Okay, yeah, that changes things completely. But are they saying you can't run the iGPU at stock clocks with 1.2V DDR4-3200; that you can't run the iGPU at stock clocks with 1.35V DDR4-3200, or that you can't run the iGPU at an OC with (whatever voltage) DDR4-3200?
hmmmmm good question why the deskmini with 4750g is working on igpu instable with more than 2667 at some chips. It can be work with 1,2 v @ ddr4-3200
and igpu i think. So i think if you have an 4750g you have to test it what does work with the actually bios. If you want more you have to wait till it fix it in bios. The first bioses are realesed today for the A520 that have fixed that problem. When the fix comes to a300 we have to look. but im sure it comes :)

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
Is with the actual Bios Version the Boot Error solved, If using Crucial P1 NVME M.2 connect, Linux Mint will boot and system rebooted? If using this hardware+software combination -> only CMOS-reset helps and change the Operation System or removing P1.

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
Have the same setup, but not linux as main. Suggest trying out 3.60R.
I have to take my recommendation regarding 3.60S back. It's not that stable in my case.

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
Is with the actual Bios Version the Boot Error solved, If using Crucial P1 NVME M.2 connect, Linux Mint will boot and system rebooted? If using this hardware+software combination -> only CMOS-reset helps and change the Operation System or removing P1.
Hmmm have to try it have you tried the another m2 slot ?

Quango

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 6, 2019
It seem to have fallen under the radar even with testers that the two new Deskimis X300 and H470 have larger cases. At the backside, there is one more row of vent holes on top and on the side. That means larger coolers, even if the documentation is inconsistent, containing both old and new max cooler height values.

"Please note that the DeskMini H470 series chassis has 52mm height limitation for the CPU fan cooler"

Last edited:

Quango

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 6, 2019
EDIT, oh I was wrong, sorry The A300 cases were already larger than my H110M-STX cases although the looked the same . ?

The size growth seems to have happened with the previous generation (H310, A300). It was necessary since installing the extra USB-Ports was nearly impossible without bending a header on the H110 board.

Just compare the cases. The new ones are larger, that struck me, since I am using Deskminis and other STX stuff since 2017, while Asrock PR copy and pasted old values.

Here is my source on page 16:

Other manuals of the H470 have the old value of 46 mm, but that cannot be since one can see at the rear that the number of vent hole rows has gone up from two to three on the upper side and from one to two on the side. The rear cut out for serial ports has more room around it.

Last edited:

gustav

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2020
Hmmm have to try it have you tried the another m2 slot ?
The slot on the back side on the mainboard is like a death to the M.2. as I had same problems with P1 1TB NVMe, I did install it on the back.... Useless... And checked HWinfo. Controller ist always like 60-80°C - and on the backside add +20 to any value. Nand running at 46°C was also +10-15°C. Do not recommend.

Does the deskmini have usb 2.0 always on? Can it be set in the bios?
It has kinda always on. Power not enough to charge any phone though, And have not seen the option to turn this useless thing off.

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
The slot on the back side on the mainboard is like a death to the M.2. as I had same problems with P1 1TB NVMe, I did install it on the back.... Useless... And checked HWinfo. Controller ist always like 60-80°C - and on the backside add +20 to any value. Nand running at 46°C was also +10-15°C. Do not recommend.

It has kinda always on. Power not enough to charge any phone though, And have not seen the option to turn this useless thing off.
hmmmmm this is strange.... :( by me booth m2 works perfect hmm have tested an ubuntu live stick. it has detected my m2

catawalks

Average Stuffer
Dec 17, 2019
where did you find this? dimensions on asrock website is 155x155x80 @ 1.92L for both a300 and x300. 85mm height would put it above 2L volume mark.

I hope you're right though.

anyone thought about fitting a tiny aio inside this? eg https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/be-quiet-teases-pure-loops-aios-with-decoupled-pump.14694/

I've got mine watercooled but it's in a slightly different case. With only 46mm of clearance you run in to a few issues. The smallest available block that I could find was actually a pump/block combo coming in at 28mm tall (side exit ports are a must). The smallest radiator I could find was still a mighty 25mm thick. There is technically a small bit of space where the fin stack doesn't come all the way up to meet the edges of the radiator, so you actually gain some height back by sticking the pump/block up into that recess. However I'm not sure it would be enough to fit it inside the standard A300 case and then you've also effectively blocked off most of the airflow capability of the radiator. That also then leaves out the fan that would be necessary to add on top of the radiator.

When I did mine I basically got rid of all the space on the bottom of the case where the 2.5" drive mounts are. Sinking the motherboard down in the case gave a ton of extra room for the rest of the cooling stuff. My case is 85mm tall instead of the 80mm that the standard A300 is, but if I had to squeeze 5mm more for the cooling solution in there I probably could with the use of different fans.

Reactions: rubicoin

limsandy

Average Stuffer
Jul 3, 2020
I've got mine watercooled but it's in a slightly different case. With only 46mm of clearance you run in to a few issues. The smallest available block that I could find was actually a pump/block combo coming in at 28mm tall (side exit ports are a must). The smallest radiator I could find was still a mighty 25mm thick. There is technically a small bit of space where the fin stack doesn't come all the way up to meet the edges of the radiator, so you actually gain some height back by sticking the pump/block up into that recess. However I'm not sure it would be enough to fit it inside the standard A300 case and then you've also effectively blocked off most of the airflow capability of the radiator. That also then leaves out the fan that would be necessary to add on top of the radiator.

When I did mine I basically got rid of all the space on the bottom of the case where the 2.5" drive mounts are. Sinking the motherboard down in the case gave a ton of extra room for the rest of the cooling stuff. My case is 85mm tall instead of the 80mm that the standard A300 is, but if I had to squeeze 5mm more for the cooling solution in there I probably could with the use of different fans.

Pictures of inside and outside of your casing please?

catawalks

Average Stuffer
Dec 17, 2019
Pictures of inside and outside of your casing please?
It's all documented here.

Outside (still has the old L9a visible):

Inside:

A300

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 13, 2019
Since X300 has officially launch, seem that no BIOS support for Renoir for A300 from Asrock.

Are there any stable BIOS for A300 to runs Renoir?

alles_alles

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2020
Since X300 has officially launch, seem that no BIOS support for Renoir for A300 from Asrock.

Are there any stable BIOS for A300 to runs Renoir?

yes 3.60S or 3.60R should run smooth. 4750g have any problems . but not all 4750 g . Problem is vega Graphics and ddr4 ram faster then 2667. Maybe it can be a power supply issue maybe you need a better power supply then 120 W or its a bios problem. They work an bios to fix that.

S3 (Standby) Mode does on Renoir !Pro! Cpu s not support but hybernate you can activate. One of 10 users sais he has any problem with m2 slot , but i don't think that is any bios issue.

limsandy

Average Stuffer
Jul 3, 2020

I just want to share this dude whose video we've seen before earlier. This time he is comparing temperatures and noise of different coolers for the A300. Sorry if this is not the place for posting cooler video but I think a lot of us A300 owners should know.

Cliff's note: stick to the wraith stealth cooler and save yourself some money.

Reactions: dealda