Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
i asking me. If the Deskmini needs more as 120 Watt. What will happen? It is going auto-shutdown and deactivated ? Or it will makes a auto-reboot?

HydrAxx747

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2021
i asking me. If the Deskmini needs more as 120 Watt. What will happen? It is going auto-shutdown and deactivated ? Or it will makes a auto-reboot?
Nope, it can exceed 120Watts of consumption without any problem (mine peaks at just over 150Watts), the only risk is that if you use the original power supply provided by ASRock (AcBel 120Watts it seems to me), the fact of exceeding 120Watts with the risk of overheating and wearing out prematurely, then in the end of grilling it definitively. So personally to avoid this problem, I replaced the original power supply with an "ASUS ADP-180NB D" power supply model which can provide up to 180Watts (19V - 9.5A) and like that no worry to have and especially the different supply voltages (3.3V/5V/12V/etc...) remain ultra-stable and vary almost not.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
It can be exceeded, but its pretty difficult to accomplish this under a realistic use case. It takes 5700g, overclocked or fully loaded cpu + gpu simultaneously to hit that wattage.

If you are pulling 120w at the wall, the board itself is seeing around 100+ watts which isn't sustainable unless on serious cooling like axp90 and modded case.

It will thermal limit in the stock case before the brick gives out basically. If you improved the cooling enough to get the full performance or OC, then I agree you might want a better brick.

Last edited:
Reactions: HydrAxx747

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
ok, thank you. i am using 2x ssd + 2x nvme + usb hub.... (for some special devices, I use a active usb-hub) often if i play hmmm Battlefield, Fallout or so, than after some minutes ---> auto-reboot.
but as non-Developer or non-technical offiver, I can not say what it is the problem. my first thing: (not enough power of) power supply or second: very bad EFI firmware.
3rd: cooling problems? my x300 has got two coolers. ( i never seen 80°C, and i read that problem get with 90°C.)

atm: idle of desktop, youtube video, some open chats.... 48.9°C.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Oh I see. Its possible with all the devices, the brick is getting thermally overloaded. Or also,, maybe its just not performing to spec.

To be sure of the problem you could try an experiment to reduce the power draw, and see if that solved the problem. You can limit the package power in the bios.

You could also can get a "watt meter" to show the real time power use on the wall plug to find out the exact system power use.

Reactions: ratundtat

Ohmster

Chassis Packer
Nov 23, 2020
Hello folks,
im still running my A300 on P 3.60 Bios with Ryzen 2200g, 2 SSDs, Wreath Stock Cooler.
I also upgraded RAM after taking advice reading here.

Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G32C16S4B 3200 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, Gaming Kit Speicher für Laptop, 16GB (8GB x2), CL16 (Dez 2021)​

So recently I started to play some older games been having constant game crashing. On Diablo 2 Resurrected or Age of Mythology or LoL.

I can find the problem I tried updating drivers. I thought about Bios, because some ppl here reported similar problems.

Before I could play GTA V and other games without problems. The games just crash showing a driver problem report. I dont know really what could be the problem. Maybe the Bios with the RAM? But before I think it was working well.

Any ideas what could do as I would like to keep the system. With the 16 GB its quite good and uses little energy.
thanks for any advice

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Reactions: HydrAxx747

Ohmster

Chassis Packer
Nov 23, 2020
Hello thanks for your reply its on 3200 Mhz CL 16. It´s a preset XMP Profil choosen in BIOS.
Before I did not have any problems with RAM settings. Problem started after trying to play Diablo2R, which was working quite well for the system, but crashed
Testmem did not show any errors. I will try repasting and set RAM on 3000. Error only while gaming, sometimes restarting or freezing screen. AMD Adrenalin shows crash report message. Im wondering if I should BIOS upgrade...

HydrAxx747

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2021
Hello thanks for your reply its on 3200 Mhz CL 16. It´s a preset XMP Profil choosen in BIOS.
Before I did not have any problems with RAM settings. Problem started after trying to play Diablo2R, which was working quite well for the system, but crashed
Testmem did not show any errors. I will try repasting and set RAM on 3000. Error only while gaming, sometimes restarting or freezing screen. AMD Adrenalin shows crash report message. Im wondering if I should BIOS upgrade...
The AMD AGESA firmware version present in the Final BIOS "P3.60" of the Deskmini A300 is really very old, please try the Beta BIOS "P3.60S" or "P3.60U" downloadable from the link I give you here:

HydrAxx747

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2021
Thanks for your hint. Any reason why not the newest 3.70 on As Rock official site or the 3.70B in your link?
BIOS "P3.63", "P3.70" and "P3.70B" for Deskmini A300 uses the same old AMD AGESA firmware ("v1 - v1.0.0.1") as BIOS "P3.60". While from Beta BIOS "P3.60L" to "P3.60U", they have updated AMD AGESA firmware to second generation version ("v2 - v1.0.0.2") which allows support for " Zen2" APUs called "Renoir" (Ryzen 4x00G/GE, Ryzen PRO 4x50G/GE and also the "hard2find" Athlon Gold PRO 4150GE), fixes many problems (especially hardware compatibility and some software problems) and offers much better system stability.

Small precision on the "P3.60L/P3.60N/P3.60R/P3.60S/P3.60U" Beta BIOSes: these Beta BIOSes were developed by ASRock technicians themselves, but these BIOSes have seen their developments stopped dead and their download links deleted from the official Deskmini A300 BIOS page as soon as ASRock announced the release of the Deskmini X300, because unofficially (at least that's what I think for my part) the Deskmini A300 would have been able to overshadow the Deskmini X300 and clearly hamper its sales. And we can also unfortunately note that the development and updating of BIOSes for the A300 has almost come to a standstill since the release of the X300.

Last edited:

Ohmster

Chassis Packer
Nov 23, 2020
Your advices were really helpful I appreciate it. So in the end it was the RAM setting after I changed to 2933 Mhz the problems with the games crashing stopped.
So it seems 3200Mhz was not supported and the reason for the issue was like you said. Great help!
At least with my Bios 3.60 P it is not working on 3200Mhz.
@HydrAxx747 thanks for your clearification, very interesting. As for now the problems is resolved. As I am happy with the system now how it is I will still stick to the 3.60P Bios, because it is stable now and dont want to risk anything. I dont see any advantage upgrading for now, as I do not plan to upgrade from my Ryzen 2200g
I downloaded the BIOS and saved it for later.

Thanks you guys saved me from getting an substitute for the A300. After all I still like it very much, especially because I only spent under 300 Euros.

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
My power supply (Delippo, 200W, 19V, 10.5A) [~70€] is arrived. Now, I should enough puffer-power, "if" my Deskmini X300 reached ~120W. (what i never could test).
This device is connected and works fine. My question now: HOW i can test it? Just wait? RAM OC? [bl16g32c16s4b crucial-ballistix] recommends?
I will try GTA5 and so ... with hope of no auto-reboots, again. \o/

if i get auto-reboot, then ... the OS or EFI sux!?

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
My power supply (Delippo, 200W, 19V, 10.5A) [~70€] is arrived. Now, I should enough puffer-power, "if" my Deskmini X300 reached ~120W. (what i never could test).
This device is connected and works fine. My question now: HOW i can test it? Just wait? RAM OC? [bl16g32c16s4b crucial-ballistix] recommends?
I will try GTA5 and so ... with hope of no auto-reboots, again. \o/

if i get auto-reboot, then ... the OS or EFI sux!?

If you run Cinebench and a graphics intensive program at the same time such as Heaven or Superposition benchmark you will be able to max it out.

Run the graphics benchmark in windowed mode so both programs get priority. I'm pretty sure this is more intensive than any real-world program

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
If you run Cinebench and a graphics intensive program at the same time such as Heaven or Superposition benchmark you will be able to max it out.

Run the graphics benchmark in windowed mode so both programs get priority. I'm pretty sure this is more intensive than any real-world program
ok, than i will install unigine-heaven (AUR) now. ohh failure hmmm than i try glmark, important is: #benchmark
-> phoronix-test-suite
phoronix-test-suite install unigine-heaven
phoronix-test-suite run unigine-heaven

I combinate it with psensors in a seperated window, so i can check the temperature, too. (CPU ~56°C)

have someone a additional hint about uefi-firmware, too?

yesterday i wanted to RAM OC 3200->3466 MHz. Problem, Grub (hmm or UEFI-grub) is not available on booting.so i can not select start uefi. later than i broken grub and have to repair via chroot -.-
that what i am now thinking, the problem is HDMI-0 , Display-Port or the combination of Display-Port and Display-Port->HDMI-Adapter. I do not know. That what i am mean is.
If I boot: Arch Linux kernel drivers and Login, but before just black screen. Grub is set timeout=5 and in uefi is csm off and full logo off.... that i do not see: press del, press esc, press f11 ...
[now i have replugged again cables \o/ I see press f11.... (atm over display-port, before hdmi-0) i think, it is not normal and a failure of a confused x300-firmware[1.79]. <-- that "trouble" i have just because if i want to visiting UEFI-settings, so that normal times, it is unimportant. Im just ***up we all know that A$r0ck can not build good firmware! :)

[additional 1]
glmark2 score: 9504

[additional 2]
AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G testing with a ASRock X300M-STX (L1.79 BIOS) and AMD Renoir 4GB on Arch rolling via the Phoronix Test Suite.
Unigine-Heaven 4.0 in 800x600 - Mode Windowed; Renderer OpenGL. FPS 82.55 (Test Duration 14 Minutes) [APU temp 63°C]
Unigine-Heaven 4.0 in 1920x1080 - Mode Windowed; Renderer OpenGL. FPS 29.47 (Test Duration 14 Minutes) [APU temp 64°C]
3x (at same time) Unigine-Heaven 4.0 in 1920x1080 - Mode Windowed; Renderer OpenGL. FPS 15.77 (Test Duration 14 Minutes) [APU temp 66°C] + i watch arcane movie (LoL)
[cpu usage ~10%]

is my benchmark setting wrong?

Last edited:

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
But run cinebench r23 simultaneously so the cpu is also pinned if you want to test max power consumption

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
so now, after playing games, watching videos and many benchmarks.... (> 1 week) autoreboot. \o/
i am not a developer. I just tried:
$ journaltctl -b -1 for see what messages are the last one.

plasmashell[2213]: libkcups: Renew-Subscription last error: 0 successful-ok

unimportant.

the new power supply my problem is not solved.
who know tips and tricks? I am using archlinux 64bit, atm kernel 6.* and it is installed for ~3years.

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
so after days and waiting... i get in journalctl before journalctl is no longer saving any messages :

kernel tried to execute NX-protected page - exploit attempt? (uid: 1000)
NMI watchdog: Watchdog detected hard LOCKUP on cpu 7

that my system will freeze. as like as i just watching a video clip.

uefi firmware 1.79 (Deskmini x300)
cpu: 4650G AMD

i think the UEFI is the problem. have someone testing it?
that the CPU is damages hmmm I do not think so, but I do not know it.

"some users said that *fastboot* is the problem" of uefi and/or windows. <- in uefi it is deactivated since ever and I do not use windows.

so i guess my OS or the UEFI needs a doctor! \o/
and for experiments... i do not have money and no laboratory/garage.

Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
so after days and waiting... i get in journalctl before journalctl is no longer saving any messages :

kernel tried to execute NX-protected page - exploit attempt? (uid: 1000)
NMI watchdog: Watchdog detected hard LOCKUP on cpu 7

that my system will freeze. as like as i just watching a video clip.

uefi firmware 1.79 (Deskmini x300)
cpu: 4650G AMD

i think the UEFI is the problem. have someone testing it?
that the CPU is damages hmmm I do not think so, but I do not know it.

"some users said that *fastboot* is the problem" of uefi and/or windows. <- in uefi it is deactivated since ever and I do not use windows.

so i guess my OS or the UEFI needs a doctor! \o/
and for experiments... i do not have money and no laboratory/garage.
Did you try a live Linux USB drive, maybe Endeavour OS as it is Arch based ? That way you'd know if it's an OS issue.