Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

Pallando

Cable Smoosher
Dec 6, 2022
I updated one A300 from 3.60K to this this 3.71A and it went without any problems. System boots fine. Then updated another A300 from 3.60U to this this 3.71A and that is now bricked. So I assume any 3.60S or 3.60U with Renoir support will break the A300.

You said you manged to fix this. How did you do it? I would like to get my good old A300 back again 😕

Well, to fix this, I ordered a CH341A USB programmer and used it to flash back a working BIOS.
The computer needs to be completely unplugged. No power whatsoever.
I also removed everything beforehand, such as RAM, CPU and SSD, but I don't think it's required. I just didn't put it back after following some procedure from Asrock support.

I used several tutorials for directions, such as here and there, but in short:
  1. I put the provided adapter (card with pins) in the 25xx part of the USB programmer and plugged the clip.
  2. Then I put the clip on the chip, making sure the first pin of the chip (marked with a small circle) was connected to the first pin (red wire) of the tool.
  3. Finally, I used flashrom (from Linux) to read the BIOS (and check everything worked), before writing a different BIOS version (3.60S).
The read/write process took some time, and I made sure nothing could move during the procedure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz and Arboreal

akisu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 15, 2019
Well, to fix this, I ordered a CH341A USB programmer and used it to flash back a working BIOS.
I also removed everything beforehand, such as RAM, CPU and SSD, but I don't think it's required. I just didn't put it back after following some procedure from Asrock support.

1. I put the provided adapter (card with pins) in the 25xx part of the USB programmer and plugged the clip.
  2. Then I put the clip on the chip, making sure the first pin of the chip (marked with a small circle) was connected to the first pin (red wire) of the tool.
  3. Finally, I used flashrom (from Linux) to read the BIOS (and check everything worked), before writing a different BIOS version (3.60S).
The read/write process took some time, and I made sure nothing could move during the procedure.
You can try to flash a X300 Bios. Acording to this post it should work.

Figl

What's an ITX?
New User
Jan 3, 2023
Hi. Please suggest a possible solution. A300 is flashed with bios from x300. Installed 5600g which works fine until trying to change the bios. After that, the suspended voltages are determined by the voltmeter, the system does not start. Black screen.

Ldthxv

Cable Smoosher
Jul 27, 2020

Thank you very much! With your good description I managed to get my A300 back again:

flashrom --programmer ch341a_spi -w A3MSTX_3.70B
flashrom v1.2 on Linux 6.1.4 (x86_64)
flashrom is free software, get the source code at https://flashrom.org

Using clock_gettime for delay loops (clk_id: 1, resolution: 1ns).
Found Winbond flash chip "W25Q128.W" (16384 kB, SPI) on ch341a_spi.
Reading old flash chip contents... done.
Erasing and writing flash chip... Erase/write done.
Verifying flash... VERIFIED

And as you say it takes a while. But now I have a working A300 again 😀

Pallando

Cable Smoosher
Dec 6, 2022
Thank you very much! With your good description I managed to get my A300 back again:

flashrom --programmer ch341a_spi -w A3MSTX_3.70B
flashrom v1.2 on Linux 6.1.4 (x86_64)
flashrom is free software, get the source code at https://flashrom.org

Using clock_gettime for delay loops (clk_id: 1, resolution: 1ns).
Found Winbond flash chip "W25Q128.W" (16384 kB, SPI) on ch341a_spi.
Reading old flash chip contents... done.
Erasing and writing flash chip... Erase/write done.
Verifying flash... VERIFIED

And as you say it takes a while. But now I have a working A300 again 😀

Glad you managed to fix it!

I think the wiki page with the BIOS should warn that 3.71A does not support Renoir, and that flashing it over 3.60S or 3.60U (maybe any BIOS with Renoir support?) will probably brick the A300.

Reactions: Arboreal

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
until now (after i had buy better power supply) with newest firmware 1.80A (X300) i had no autorebootcrashreboots, again.
perhaps luck, because i less playing. the one i have to say, that i had ONE temporary bug after firmware upgrade in the linux login manager (green screen). i do not know really, after a reboot short shutdown, cable 10sec disconnected and reboot... all works fine.

- i was visiting my parents. they have my old A300 with firmware 3.60S. They talk about autorebootcrashreboot (one times), too. :-O :-[[
But i use Arch and they use Manjaro :-/
They had this trouble as they worked with virtualbox and windows VM....

Perhaps an amdgpu driver problem in the arch-world?!

i am asking me, if ChatGPT could help.

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
could some linux users check? $ fwupdate -s
(fwupdate:438966): FuPluginUefiCapsule-WARNING **: 12:29:27.408: SMBIOS BIOS Characteristics Extension Byte 2 is invalid -- UEFI Specification is unsupported, but /sys/firmware/efi exists: SMBIOS not supported

Aelda

Cable Smoosher
Feb 11, 2022
Is there any more news from the A300? I upgraded to a 4600G and I am having these annoying stuttering problems that have been talked about here in the thread.

akisu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 15, 2019
Is there any more news from the A300? I upgraded to a 4600G and I am having these annoying stuttering problems that have been talked about here in the thread.
I guess you are using Windows 11? You will not get any help from ASRock as the 4600G is not official supported. The only Windows 11 and A300 combination which is official supported is Ryzen 3xxxG. The shutter issue affects all Ryzen systems with Windows 11. But you can try to contact the ASRock support anyway. Good luck.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
If anyone has the Deskmini USB cable (oem version) and could check the length and width of the rubberized housing which is flush with the screw holes, it I would appreciate it. I believe the OEM version has square corners that are slightly rounded like this:

I am dimensioning a case for it, but the one that was sent to me looks slightly different...

And so, just checking that it's a similar size. This is the measurement of the one above (60mm wide, 11.5mm tall, holes 48mm apart)

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
@msystems the cable is give or take around 30cm , let me know if you need it more exactly.
Thanks! I'm needing to confirm the length and thickness of the face of the housing part which is screwed into the case. It should be about 60mm long by about 11mm wide.

kapqa

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 5, 2021
Thanks! I'm needing to confirm the length and thickness of the face of the housing part which is screwed into the case. It should be about 60mm long by about 11mm wide.
my measuring tool is not the most exact, nvthless its gotta be around 58x12mm.

Reactions: msystems

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
i read an article on reddit. "c-state" (x300) UEFI-setting. i have deactivate it now. in the last 2~3days, i did not have auto-off+reboot problems, atm! i do not know a logical describtion. in reddit the apu is 4750g. i have 4650g. in a300-uefi, there is no c-state. there is S3.

Reactions: Phuncz

ratundtat

Average Stuffer
Sep 12, 2020
im every time to weak for surfing and chatting, because war, lgbt, zion, nazis, climate.... all is so insane => 0%energy.

i just wanted add the information: until today ZERO autorebootcrasherror, since i had deactivate c-state in UEFI of x300 (every firmware).

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Would you recommend the 4650G with an A300?
I feel a bit left behind with my A300 and 3400G