Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Since my HDplex ac-dc died and I need a new 19v source anyway I am going to check out the 240w Gan brick and see how it handles the Deskmini @ 150 watts and then also test it with a 19v HDplex dc-atx for egpu use.

Reactions: Alucard

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Since my HDplex ac-dc died and I need a new 19v source anyway I am going to check out the 240w Gan brick and see how it handles the Deskmini @ 150 watts and then also test it with a 19v HDplex dc-atx for egpu use.
FYI - before you go too far down this path, the DeskMini will also run happily on 12V, although if you've already got the HDPlex that changes the value proposition somewhat.

Reactions: Curiosity

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
So the SlimQ brick seems to work perfectly. This enables a pathway to using "Pocket eGpu" or similar with the same brick. Because it has 1x DC Barrel and 2x USB-PD. So then you just need a small adapter to turn one of those USB-PD into a 20v Barrel connection. Depending on how you want to use your power, you could either use the main 20v 12a Barrel for the Deskmini or the Gpu (Probably Gpu). But the device on USB-PD needs to be tuned to ~90 watts max.

Check out Pocket eGpu if you haven't seen it: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/pocket-egpu-a-0-55l-thunderbolt-rx6400-pocket-egpu.17582/

Edit: Unfortunately Pocket eGpu won't work with Deskmini because of no Thunderbolt, it would have to be m2 version. Maybe in future Gen Deskmini though.

Last edited:

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
So the SlimQ brick seems to work perfectly. This enables a pathway to using "Pocket eGpu" or similar with the same brick. Because it has 1x DC Barrel and 2x USB-PD. So then you just need a small adapter to turn one of those USB-PD into a 20v Barrel connection. Depending on how you want to use your power, you could either use the main 20v 12a Barrel for the Deskmini or the Gpu (Probably Gpu). But the device on USB-PD needs to be tuned to ~90 watts max.

Check out Pocket eGpu if you haven't seen it: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/pocket-egpu-a-0-55l-thunderbolt-rx6400-pocket-egpu.17582/

Edit: Unfortunately Pocket eGpu won't work with Deskmini because of no Thunderbolt, it would have to be m2 version. Maybe in future Gen Deskmini though.
I was working on hacking TB3 into my DeskMini but no luck yet due to lack of UEFI initialisation and PCI address reservations. Among other things.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Allright so unfortunately trying to run the Deskmini over 100w USB-PD -> PD-trigger to Barrel didn't work that great.

It would shut down if trying to draw more than ~40 watts.

I think it might be because of an inferior PD-trigger module, i.e., the extremely cheap ones built into the cable as shown in that picture in my prev post are probably not as good as the dedicated hardware trigger module, maybe can't handle the amperage.

I'll try to get a dedicated usb-pd trigger PCB to see if that improves anything.

On the GPU front, the slimQ is good for 170w+ average TDP. I didn't want to push it much more because I know the transients are 250+ at that point.

It has a flashing orange warning light when it gets hit with a big power spike so you can tell if it's approaching OCP.

Reactions: Curiosity

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Allright so unfortunately trying to run the Deskmini over 100w USB-PD -> PD-trigger to Barrel didn't work that great.

It would shut down if trying to draw more than ~40 watts.

I think it might be because of an inferior PD-trigger module, i.e., the extremely cheap ones built into the cable as shown in that picture in my prev post are probably not as good as the dedicated hardware trigger module, maybe can't handle the amperage.

I'll try to get a dedicated usb-pd trigger PCB to see if that improves anything.

On the GPU front, the slimQ is good for 170w+ average TDP. I didn't want to push it much more because I know the transients are 250+ at that point.

It has a flashing orange warning light when it gets hit with a big power spike so you can tell if it's approaching OCP.
Is there a good way to measure the transients? I’m considering trying an undervolted / power-limited 3070 on the Dell DA-2 but having doubts it’ll handle the spikes.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Is there a good way to measure the transients? I’m considering trying an undervolted / power-limited 3070 on the Dell DA-2 but having doubts it’ll handle the spikes.
I've only seen the GN video on transient spikes, and they needed an oscilloscope to capture them.

Reactions: SFFMunkee

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Ye, from the GN video on the subject, they were using an oscilloscope with clamps to monitor the amperage on the pcie wires. But just figure, somewhere between 150% to 200% of your average tdp. The DA2 might work but suffer premature death.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Thanks !

Maybe to play it safe I’ll relocate the 3070 to a permanent direct-connect PC and use the 3060Ti in the eGPU instead ( probably better-suited anyway as it’s been ITX’d now ;) )

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Tried a different usb-pd to Barrel cable (this time, Adafruit 5A rated with E-mark) and struck out again trying to run a Deskmini from it. When trying to pull more than 40 watts on the 240w SlimQ GAN (via it's 100w USB-pd) it shuts off. The DC Barrel output on the SlimQ has no problem supplying enough capacitance to power a GPU at 200 watts, however. So Im assuming the USB-pd controller in the SlimQ is not permitting the instantaneous draws that the Deskmini has. The only other thing I can think of is some kind of over voltage protection engaging in the Deskmini since 20v is slightly out of spec.

A bit of a bummer because it would be cool to run a low end graphics card (~120w) and the Deskmini from the same brick using USB-c from Deskmini and Barrel for Pico box to GPU. Although this should still be possible, just by a Y-splitter on the DC barrel.

For larger GPU's it's not a problem because the entire GAN brick is dedicated to the gpu.

Last edited:
Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Tried a different usb-pd to Barrel cable (this time, Adafruit 5A rated with E-mark) and struck out again trying to run a Deskmini from it. When trying to pull more than 40 watts on the 240w SlimQ GAN (via it's 100w USB-pd) it shuts off. The DC Barrel output on the SlimQ has no problem supplying enough capacitance to power a GPU at 200 watts, however. So Im assuming the USB-pd controller in the SlimQ is not permitting the instantaneous draws that the Deskmini has. The only other thing I can think of is some kind of over voltage protection engaging in the Deskmini since 20v is slightly out of spec.

A bit of a bummer because it would be cool to run a low end graphics card (~120w) and the Deskmini from the same brick using USB-c from Deskmini and Barrel for Pico box to GPU. Although this should still be possible, just by a Y-splitter on the DC barrel.

For larger GPU's it's not a problem because the entire GAN brick is dedicated to the gpu.

I´ve tried something similar with my 0.6L mini eGPU and a 120W GaN charger from Aohi - unfortunately the same results...

Once the GPU pulls more than 40~50W it shuts down, even though the PD ports of the charger can supply * up to * 100W/20V (tested with a Notebook).

I remember Gury (G-Unique) once told me that the PD circuit of those chargers is not working like a normal DC-brick and is not designed to supply the full wattage constantly but rather optimized for charging a device (wattage changes slowly, depending on charge rate). Sudden peaks in power consumption as we see it with a DeskMini or eGPU probably trigger some kind of protection in the PD circuits.

Anyway, the SlimQ still sounds interesting to me. Could use the dedicated DC output for a eGPU and the PD ports for a Notebook, Phone, etc... thanks for testing!

Reactions: msystems

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
I´ve tried something similar with my 0.6L mini eGPU and a 120W GaN charger from Aohi - unfortunately the same results...

Once the GPU pulls more than 40~50W it shuts down, even though the PD ports of the charger can supply * up to * 100W/20V (tested with a Notebook).

I remember Gury (G-Unique) once told me that the PD circuit of those chargers is not working like a normal DC-brick and is not designed to supply the full wattage constantly but rather optimized for charging a device (wattage changes slowly, depending on charge rate). Sudden peaks in power consumption as we see it with a DeskMini or eGPU probably trigger some kind of protection in the PD circuits.

Anyway, the SlimQ still sounds interesting to me. Could use the dedicated DC output for a eGPU and the PD ports for a Notebook, Phone, etc... thanks for testing!
Interesting, I don’t have any GaN supplies to test yet but keen to give it a go when I do.

I’m going to try getting a couple of USB-C / PD testers and equipment eventually anyway so might as well get a GaN brick to up the ante.

No luck getting TB3 running in my DeskMini yet (on Windows) either. I would have to hack some drivers together and do some sort of UEFI modding but I’m not experienced enough yet sadly. :(

Reactions: msystems

A300

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 13, 2019
Hi guys,

I have a problem with A300, have to press power button several times to make it turn on.

It is installed with Windows 10, never shutdown windows, always put to a hibernated state.
When it was still new, never had this problem.

Specs are : 4650G, 256GB NVME AData, 256GB Samsung ssd evo, 2x16GB Kingston HyperX, and external portable Samsung ssd. Cooler is Noctua slim.

Do you guys know how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Hammerfest

Trash Compacter
Jul 15, 2019
Hi guys,

I have a problem with A300, have to press power button several times to make it turn on.

It is installed with Windows 10, never shutdown windows, always put to a hibernated state.
When it was still new, never had this problem.

Specs are : 4650G, 256GB NVME AData, 256GB Samsung ssd evo, 2x16GB Kingston HyperX, and external portable Samsung ssd. Cooler is Noctua slim.

Do you guys know how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.
never really found a perma solution for it
the old pull the cmos battery and discharge for 1min trick worked for me to make it work normally for a "while" longer

Still trying to shoehorn in the X300 firmware, ASRock is a POS for abandoning this so early on

Reactions: A300

A300

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 13, 2019
never really found a perma solution for it
the old pull the cmos battery and discharge for 1min trick worked for me to make it work normally for a "while" longer

Still trying to shoehorn in the X300 firmware, ASRock is a POS for abandoning this so early on
So, this is a common problem in A300? Problem in Firmware?