Prebuilt [SFFn] ASRock's DeskMini A300 - Finally!

xxTech

Efficiency Noob
Mar 18, 2022
First of all I would try a repaste, maybe with a tad more grease.
But after all I had 4 Ryzen CPU/APU now and they all behave more or less in this way.
My 3600 always shoot though the roof for about 1 sec and then got back to a low idle.
Also its the same for my 5900X, so I wouldn't be too concerned about.

heinzey

What's an ITX?
New User
Mar 29, 2022
Just an update for anyone wondering, I flashed P1.60 for the X300 onto my A300 and I'm able to run a 5700G. However, it looks like it breaks ram overclocking.

Going from 3400g with ram overclocking, do you think doing this on a a300 is worth it for the 5700g?

Danlopez1222

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2019
Just been testing out Ryzen 5700 in x300 over the last day and I am surprised at the instantaneous temp spikes.. There's a good chance it is just a poor installation by myself and i'll do it again to be sure. Spikes from 30c to 70c in 1 second are something I have never seen before. Even though AMD has said "running at 95C is no problem" (which may be true), there is something funky going on with the thermal resistance.

It seems like there is unusually bad thermal resistance somewhere between the cores and the heatsink. The heat isn't even getting the chance to saturate the heatsink tested on both the wraith stealth and noctua nh-l9a. I am not expecting perfection, but in an older rig from a few years back, I measured a result of 9C delta between the internal core temperature reading and an external temperature sensor placed on the exterior heatsink fins.

But on the x300, the delta between the heatsink and the core reading seems absolutely massive. Just a guess its at least 25C. Even after benchmarking to reach equilibrium, the heatsink does not feel hot like it should. It's just... warm.

I saw some posts about Ryzen heat spreaders not being perfectly flat and possibly concave, causing an issue when combined with a very flat heatsink. Or also, if they are flat but paired with a convex heatsink, the edges might have a bit too much clearance and not enough pressure (not a problem with previous chip designs with die in the center). So since I used the minimal amount of TIM, it would produce a poor result in both of these scenarios & I would be better off over applying it. One user reported he re-seated his cooler 10 times before noticing the uneven IHS edges, then sanded it flat.

The other thing I read is that the chiplet layout used by AMD puts these dense cores towards the side/edges of the chip where they are less likely to be directly beneath a row of centered heatpipes. This could explain the terrible resistance, as the heat cannot be instantly absorbed as it would with the properly located heatpipe, and the heat has to first creep into the center region of the chip before it can be soaked. I'm curious whether the same spikes happen on a water block, which can extend past the edge of the chip and provide low thermal resistance on the edge regions just as well where the air coolers cannot.

Anyway, going to re-do the cooling to see
Are you using a 5700 or 5700G? The 5700G is monolithic, and my a300 with a 5700G and nh-l9a does not spike at all. I'm also using liquid metal for TIM.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
5700g. I might try some liquid metal next. So do your temps not increase by 30c in 2-3 secs? Or what's the max they can spike from idle to full load. I'm using the "Cpu/Tdie" sensor in Hwinfo64 which takes the highest core temp from on the die.

Edit: I redid the paste. Same results. Maybe its normal due to the overclock on memory and bump in soc voltage to 1.17v. Pulling 120 watts cinebench, 140 max with heaven + cb

Last edited:
Reactions: Danlopez1222

Danlopez1222

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2019
5700g. I might try some liquid metal next. So do your temps not increase by 30c in 2-3 secs? Or what's the max they can spike from idle to full load. I'm using the "Cpu/Tdie" sensor in Hwinfo64 which takes the highest core temp from on the die.

Edit: I redid the paste. Same results. Maybe its normal due to the overclock on memory and bump in soc voltage to 1.17v. Pulling 120 watts cinebench, 140 max with heaven + cb
Idle is roughly 45C, tops at 85C- However, my fan profile is stock and fan RPM jumps from 1800 at 84.9C to 2600 at 85C. I think it would top out around 87 with constant 1800. The spike from 45C to 70C took roughly 10 seconds, but I'm only drawing 70W with CB, 80 with CB and Heaven. I will admit it is more of a spike than I thought it would be. For reference, each polling period is 2 seconds for the graph.

I noticed something really odd though- SMT isn't enabled. In the bios I have it set to "auto" since it's either that or "disabled". What bios version are you using? Maybe this is another fluke with flashing an A300 with the X300 bios? I could see that causing less power draw. I know I've hit over 100W with my 2400G.

Reactions: msystems

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Appreciate this for comparison.

Your SMT is off. If it was on, cinebench would say 8c 16t. But it only says 8c in the screenshot. You can possibly re enable smt with ryzen master. Once you do you will be hitting 110w+. I have smt off because I get thermal runaway on a long benchmark.

Cinebench should be closer to 12k stock, smt on

Regarding the bios, the SMT setting is broken for me on the x300 (it was stuck "on" when I received it) and has to be changed in ryzen master.

The other broken thing was infinity fabric. It lets you put values above 2000 but doesn't actually set them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danlopez1222

Danlopez1222

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2019
Appreciate this for comparison.

Your SMT is off. If it was on, cinebench would say 8c 16t. But it only says 8c in the screenshot. You can possibly re enable smt with ryzen master. Once you do you will be hitting 110w+. I have smt off because I get thermal runaway on a long benchmark.

Cinebench should be closer to 12k stock, smt on

Regarding the bios, the SMT setting is broken for me on the x300 (it was stuck "on" when I received it) and has to be changed in ryzen master.

The other broken thing was infinity fabric. It lets you put values above 2000 but doesn't actually set them.
I actually flashed the 1.72 bios that I found online, now I'm hitting closer to 90W with SMT enabled.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
I ran some tests today at stock speeds to compare and I have similar results. Low 70s on one cb run and stabilizes 80s on 30 mins. I thin the repaste helped reduce the size of the first few spikes, it was just harder to tell at higher voltages. Restarted the tuning from the beginning and am trying to balance everything below the 95 watts that the l9a fan can realistically handle.

Regarding the 5700g it is a real monster chip being held back. The vrm on the x300 isn't that horrible besides lacking LLC adjustment, can deliver way more than the brick. I tested up to 150 watts for short periods which is plenty enough to juice the 5700g. Asrock made a pretty good board

limsandy

Average Stuffer
Jul 3, 2020
Hello, I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but my A300 seems to be always on the wrong timezone. Doesn't matter which OS I load, the timezone would initially load GMT, and after 10-30 minutes, it would revert to the correct timezone. The A300 doesn't have CMOS battery on the motherboard, does it?

yuusou

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2019
Hello, I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but my A300 seems to be always on the wrong timezone. Doesn't matter which OS I load, the timezone would initially load GMT, and after 10-30 minutes, it would revert to the correct timezone. The A300 doesn't have CMOS battery on the motherboard, does it?

Windows sets the BIOS time to local time. Linux sets the BIOS time to UTC.

You can, in linux, change it's behavior using the command `timedatectl set-local-rtc 1 --adjust-system-clock`. Set to zero to revert.

You can also change Windows' behaviour but I don't remember the actual procedure, you'll have to google it.

Reactions: limsandy and Phuncz

limsandy

Average Stuffer
Jul 3, 2020
Windows sets the BIOS time to local time. Linux sets the BIOS time to UTC.

You can, in linux, change it's behavior using the command `timedatectl set-local-rtc 1 --adjust-system-clock`. Set to zero to revert.

You can also change Windows' behaviour but I don't remember the actual procedure, you'll have to google it.

Thank you. I was also able to change the BIOS time and I will be watching if this fixes the problem. 👍

Edit: Okay, at least I have isolated that the problem I'm having is because I'm switching between different OSes. Manjaro, Ubuntu and Windows. So far I have run the above command in both Manjaro and Ubuntu, but when I log back into Windows, the timezone is wrong again. :(

Last edited:

limsandy

Average Stuffer
Jul 3, 2020
Change it in both Manjaro and Ubuntu, go to your BIOS, set your time to local time, go to Windows, set the correct time manually then re-enable automatic time.

Yeppp, did that.... Been switching between OSes and your solution seems to do the trick, for now. 👍

akisu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 15, 2019
Hello there,

as ASRock is releasing AGESA 1.2.0.7 for the X300 because of the AMD shutter issue, I wrote them if they will do the same for the A300.

This is their answer:
Hello,

I have asked the team in Taiwan about it. Currently, there is no plan to release a BIOS for DeskMini A300 based on AGESA 1.2.0.7.

They ask if you can share a video showing the use of Ryzen 5 3400G in combination with the stuttering. Thanks!

Kind regards,
ASRock Support

However they ask me to provide a proof. I put the 3400G in my ticket because it is supported by ASRock and Windows 11. But in fact I just have a 2400G, which is not compatible with Windows 11. So I can not provide the proof (besides that I don't even know if the issue also occur with this CPU).

Somebody has an idea? I think this is our best shot to get a new AGESA version.

• Wow
Reactions: HydrAxx747

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
what kind of power adapter are you using to provide 150W ?

I'm on 12v batteries, but in theory any 19v laptop brick should work, as long as it has 5.5mm x 2.5mm barrel plug. I see plenty on Amazon and ali express 150-180 watts.

This one might work (amazon)

Reactions: HydrAxx747

limsandy

Average Stuffer
Jul 3, 2020
Hello there,

as ASRock is releasing AGESA 1.2.0.7 for the X300 because of the AMD shutter issue, I wrote them if they will do the same for the A300.

This is their answer:

However they ask me to provide a proof. I put the 3400G in my ticket because it is supported by ASRock and Windows 11. But in fact I just have a 2400G, which is not compatible with Windows 11. So I can not provide the proof (besides that I don't even know if the issue also occur with this CPU).

Somebody has an idea? I think this is our best shot to get a new AGESA version.

If somebody can prove it, we might get a new AGESA version indeed. But I have kinda settled in with my 4650G PRO and with 16GB 3200 MHz DDR4 memory now I think this machine is already souped up to the max. I don't think I'll be doing anymore upgrades in the future. Just use this for another 2-3 years then looking at buying a whole new SFF, I guess. :)

HydrAxx747

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2021
what kind of power adapter are you using to provide 150W ?
Personally, instead of the one supplied by ASRock of 120Watts, I use an ASUS ADP-180HB D power adapter (which in reality is a rebranded DELTA power supply) which provides 19Volts for 9.5A, i.e. up to 180 Watts real with the same type of connector (5.5x2.5) which is more than enough and even leaves as long as enough room for maneuver, moreover the voltages provided are maintained much better during power increase compared to the power supply supplied original ASRock 120Watts.

limsandy

Average Stuffer
Jul 3, 2020
I'm on 12v batteries, but in theory any 19v laptop brick should work, as long as it has 5.5mm x 2.5mm barrel plug. I see plenty on Amazon and ali express 150-180 watts.

This one might work (amazon)

Yeah any laptop power supply from 12-20V should work. If you know which wires are positive and negative, you can even change/cut the wires and re-use the connector from the old power brick.

Edit: Thank you really for the link. I found that model being sold at my local marketplace for $15 and some change. 😂