Motherboard SFF Threadripper motherboard petition thread

alamilla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 11, 2016
And I made a (very shitty) ITX mockup! M.2 on the back, I guess...

Not going to lie, I legitimately LOLed!

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
And I made a (very shitty) ITX mockup! M.2 on the back, I guess...

Ha, nice... who needs a chipset anyway, right? And that "X399" heatsink towards the back probably wasn't covering anything important :p

Realistically though, I think the smallest form factor you could cram this into is DTX (203x244mm; n.b., not mini-DTX). That would actually still fit into a lot of mini-ITX cases, too. Would make for a killer compact workstation.

Mar 6, 2017
Ha, nice... who needs a chipset anyway, right?

Dammit, I knew I forgot something! Use SO-DIMMs maybe?

\And that "X399" heatsink towards the back probably wasn't covering anything important :p

I figured it was probably just VRMs which could be relocated to a PCB perpendicular to the motherboard like on other high end ITX boards.

Realistically though, I think the smallest form factor you could cram this into is DTX (203x244mm; n.b., not mini-DTX). That would actually still fit into a lot of mini-ITX cases, too. Would make for a killer compact workstation.

Honestly. I'd probably be fine with that. DTX is good enough

Last edited:
Reactions: VegetableStu

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
I wonder how much I/O is present on the processor that is exposed through the massive socket...

Also curious if the X300 chipset could be compatible with the TR4...

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015

You can't do 4 SATA with the Z270 (X299 is pretty much identical; you could with Z170, as HSIO lanes 19-22 had Intel RST & there were no lanes 27-30), but you can do 2. It could be a connector connected to HSIO lanes 15-18 or 23-26, where you could configure the lanes to either be 2 SATA or a x4 PCI-e storage connection.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
You MIGHT be able to squeeze two M.2 slots on the backside of the MB ('under' the chipset), but then you need make room for the restraining screw hole (I would stick with a single hole per slot, 2280 M.2s only)...

Any storage beyond that would be via external USB or a NAS array...?

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Would boards or the NVMe protocol just accept SATA drives on an NVMe U.2 port? o_o
They'd just have to multiplex the SATA ports with the PCIe. U.2 aka SFF-8643 aka Mini-SAS HD was originally designed to carry 4 SAS/SATA ports and backplane monitoring but has been repurposed for multi-link SAS and NVMe

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
Why not power delivery on a daughter board, SODIMMs in a box of 4 (two parallel with the other two beneath them, power connectors along the right hand edge, and non-major connectors (USB, audio, FPH...etc) embedded and facing outwards? SATA data can be like the ports Asrock use on their H110M-STX, and power can be done with an onboard header.