"SFF" Keyboards

What's the smallest you'd go with a keyboard?

• 100%

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • 80%

Votes: 27 9.9%
  • 75%

Votes: 53 19.3%
  • 60%

Votes: 126 46.0%
  • 40%

Votes: 23 8.4%
  • Electrodes implanted into brain, effectively 0%

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Where is the delete key though?

I see you're new to the game. The beauty of fully custom boards is that you can assign the keymap to your heart's content. Any key can be delete key. On my own boards, anything smaller than a 65% I tend to have delete on the first layer down under the backspace, on anything larger I tend to have it on the top layer, having its own space (for example on a 75% like the one pictured, I usually keep it directly to the right of the backspace)

Reactions: Rmorrison

Rmorrison

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 30, 2019
DEEPEST. RABBIT. HOLE. EVER. DEEEEEEEEEP DEEP. I thought sff cases were expensive. Dudes is spending upwards of $3600 for custom commissions. And the sad thing is I'm totally alright with that. Those keyboards are mighty fine. Makes me wonder if sff cases will ever get to the price of some keyboards.

Reactions: ignsvn

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
DEEPEST. RABBIT. HOLE. EVER. DEEEEEEEEEP DEEP. I thought sff cases were expensive. Dudes is spending upwards of $3600 for custom commissions. And the sad thing is I'm totally alright with that. Those keyboards are mighty fine. Makes me wonder if sff cases will ever get to the price of some keyboards.

Just buy a Topre board once and you won't have this issue. ?

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Just buy a Topre board once and you won't have this issue. ?

Oh how wrong you are, there's custom controllers, lube, custom silencing rings, custom sliders, custom domes, custom case/housing (currently eyeing that XRF case for my Realforce 86u, very very tempted)

Topre can be just as expensive as MX, if not more in some cases

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Next build. still waiting for some other parts :D

I've got a Planck and used it for a little bit, pretty cool board. It never really fit into my daily driver routine but ortholinear is definitely something everyone should try at least once. Takes about a week to get used to but it's quite an efficient arrangement

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Next build. still waiting for some other parts :D
Oh? The Massdrop Holy Pandas, eh? Please let me know how those feel. I see them pop up so often, the Overton window is starting to shift for me on building another keyboard. I may just have to live vicariously through you.

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
Oh how wrong you are, there's custom controllers, lube, custom silencing rings, custom sliders, custom domes, custom case/housing (currently eyeing that XRF case for my Realforce 86u, very very tempted)

Topre can be just as expensive as MX, if not more in some cases

Thanks for introducing me to the hobby, bro!

Rmorrison

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 30, 2019
Oh? The Massdrop Holy Pandas, eh? Please let me know how those feel. I see them pop up so often, the Overton window is starting to shift for me on building another keyboard. I may just have to live vicariously through you.

They feel great after you clean the lube out and re-lube them. I've only done a few though. more stem wobble than than Zealios

Reactions: annasoh323

1337harcha

Caliper Novice
Apr 9, 2019
I see you're new to the game. The beauty of fully custom boards is that you can assign the keymap to your heart's content. Any key can be delete key. On my own boards, anything smaller than a 65% I tend to have delete on the first layer down under the backspace, on anything larger I tend to have it on the top layer, having its own space (for example on a 75% like the one pictured, I usually keep it directly to the right of the backspace)
Yeah I recently got into this stuff. Bought a cheapo Z88 board in white and ordered some grey keycaps for 12 EUR. Immediately broke a stabilizer under the spacebar, fortunately I could rob some from the smaller keys. Also got some rubber keycaps for homerow to help me learn proper touch-typing. It's pretty cheap to get into, I also have some small batches of other switches OTW to see if I want to switch the switch. (cannot post a picture at this time)

I don't think I could go any smaller than 75% because I use function keys for my RTS game. When going down to 75% it was quite annoying to relearn typing numbers but fortunately I am a fast learner.

But something interesting I found in some drawer at the office - KSI-2005U. I have to say even two months later I am still amazed how much better the ergonomics are after switching from full keyboard to 75%. BTW this one came as part of a moving maps infotainment installation kit on B757.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Yeah I recently got into this stuff. Bought a cheapo Z88 board in white and ordered some grey keycaps for 12 EUR. Immediately broke a stabilizer under the spacebar, fortunately I could rob some from the smaller keys. Also got some rubber keycaps for homerow to help me learn proper touch-typing. It's pretty cheap to get into, I also have some small batches of other switches OTW to see if I want to switch the switch. (cannot post a picture at this time)

I don't think I could go any smaller than 75% because I use function keys for my RTS game. When going down to 75% it was quite annoying to relearn typing numbers but fortunately I am a fast learner.

But something interesting I found in some drawer at the office - KSI-2005U. I have to say even two months later I am still amazed how much better the ergonomics are after switching from full keyboard to 75%. BTW this one came as part of a moving maps infotainment installation kit on B757.

Oouuuch about those keys on the outer columns! So small!

1337harcha

Caliper Novice
Apr 9, 2019

So this is what I have athome as already described. The damage totals to about 48.3 EUR plus shipping which IMO is not a bad start into the mech world.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Does anyone here ever used DZ65 RGB hotswap PCB?

It's a typical 65% layout, but I wonder whether it has INSERT key mapped in one of the default layers?

Edit: the reason I want to have it pre-mapped in one of the default layers is so that I can use it out of the box.. at the moment I don't have time to experiment with QMK.

Last edited: