"SFF" Keyboards

What's the smallest you'd go with a keyboard?

• 100%

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • 80%

Votes: 27 9.9%
  • 75%

Votes: 53 19.3%
  • 60%

Votes: 126 46.0%
  • 40%

Votes: 23 8.4%
  • Electrodes implanted into brain, effectively 0%

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
That's pretty great! Perfect thematic concept. Actually made me go and brew a cup of coffee just to fully appreciate it. How do you like the DSA profile?
I'm rocking tactile switches in the form of Kailh Box Burnt Orange switches I got off of Drop (Massdrop at the time). I also picked up a numpad kit from them which I have yet to assemble. I don't have much data entry to do at home so a numpad isn't generally a necessity for me (unless I can get approval from work to bring in my own keyboard...)

I like the DSA profile so far. The 65% layout of the keyboard took a little adjusting to, but the keycaps themselves are great, not really noticing a disadvantage to the profile, which I like the look of. Feel of these is pleasant, as well; they have a nice texture to them, makes them feel less plasticky than average keycaps (though I can understand why some people consider them to be rough). (Side note: Tempted to make literal "chocolatier" chocolates using keycap to make a mold. :D )

I need to get some loose Kailh switches or a tester. Been meaning to try their range of Box switches in particular, but likely building a TKL for work using Box Jades. Burnt Orange looks good, too, though (I like switches in the 45g-65g actuation range, more than that is too heavy for me for daily use).

Last edited:
Reactions: annasoh323

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
I've been somewhat reticent to go down the rabbit hole of keycap collecting. I have one set cheap PBTs I used to replace the worn down ones on my first mech keyboard, a Cooler Master with Cherry Blues. Then I bought another set of doubleshot ABS caps for my 60% build that were supposed to be definitively higher quality (don't remember why though). Other than that, I've tried to hold off.

Box Jades are supposed to be heavier than Box Burnt Orange, yeah (sorry, can't remember exactly). I do like the Box Burnt Orange for general typing. I have also been using it for games too and I will start fatiguing after some time of fast-paced FPS action. I long for the day I'll be allowed to bring my own keyboard to work (when most of my typing actually happens).

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I've been somewhat reticent to go down the rabbit hole of keycap collecting. I have one set cheap PBTs I used to replace the worn down ones on my first mech keyboard, a Cooler Master with Cherry Blues. Then I bought another set of doubleshot ABS caps for my 60% build that were supposed to be definitively higher quality (don't remember why though). Other than that, I've tried to hold off.

Box Jades are supposed to be heavier than Box Burnt Orange, yeah (sorry, can't remember exactly). I do like the Box Burnt Orange for general typing. I have also been using it for games too and I will start fatiguing after some time of fast-paced FPS action. I long for the day I'll be allowed to bring my own keyboard to work (when most of my typing actually happens).

I just started my keycap collection earlier this year.

It's a.. Beautiful rabbit hole.

Generally speaking, PBT is a harder material thus don't wear out & shine as early as ABS. However, for keycap enthusiasts, this doesn't always mean that it's a higher quality plastic since some people swear that ABS plastic has their own unique, desirable properties such as feel & sound (and yes this is highly subjective topic indeed)

Why aren't you allowed to bring your own keyboard to work? Security clearance issue?

Last edited:

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
It's just one of those IT things <shrug>.

The ABS caps I have are thicker, I believe. Between that and the nature of the Burnt Orange switches, it's a very impactful typing experience, especially compared to the Blues + thinner PBT caps. My sister is using my old one for now. I'm glad it's still getting good use :)

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
It's just one of tjose IT things <shrug>.

The ABS caps I have are thicker, I believe. Between that and the nature of the Burnt Orange switches, it's a very impactful typing experience, especially compared to the Blues + thinner PBT caps. My sister is using my old one for now. I'm glad it's still getting good use :)

Fellow IT worker here. But usually those strict rules are in high security places like data center, gov or military office.

I personally feel PBT is nicer (enjoyPBT user here) but then again I haven't got chance to try a high quality ABS keycap like, GMK for example. Well I will, sometime this October or November, I guess.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Fellow IT worker here. But usually those strict rules are in high security places like data center, gov or military office.

I personally feel PBT is nicer (enjoyPBT user here) but then again I haven't got chance to try a high quality ABS keycap like, GMK for example. Well I will, sometime this October or November, I guess.
Okay, so I swung back over to drop.com (formerly Massdrop as they are fond of saying) and first of all, wow, have I bought a bunch of random stuff from there. Re: the PBT set I got, they were made by Tai-Hao and were fairly cheap. A nice muted purple and gray set which was just to replace the black g@m34 keycaps on the Cooler Master which were fading. Cheap caps for a cheap keeb. The ABS caps were made by JTK which folks in the discussion on the page were saying were like poor man's GMK. I'm not well educated on the history but that's what I got from it and probably why I pulled the trigger in the first place: something with pretty good specs. Pay a little more to get something a little nicer.

Reactions: ignsvn

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017
Currently using a dz60 with a custom wooden case and Box Oranges with some OEM Taihao caps.

Been using it for couple of months, got pretty bored with the Box Oranges, they are somewhat of a dull switch, nice tactility but not much else going on. The next build I have planned for the end of this year is a kbd75 with Box Pale Blues (would like Jades but they're super loud and my girlfriend would kill me, Pale Blues also sound great but not so obnoxious) and KAT Eternal Caps.

They seem like perfect caps, always liked SA but they felt pretty tall for me so KAT profile should be perfect and I love this set. Gonna have to spend a good amount but I wanted to move to a 75% layout for a long time.

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
Cherry peasants

? Well, my work keyboard is 2nd gen SMK ("Monterey"), I have a bunch (white, pine black, green) Alps boards lying around, and my blue Alps build will be done in 2 weeks, so...

* looks at Solo's history in thread *

Ah, Topre fan, I take it? I actually do love Topre, but sadly sold my Realforce RGB (45g) when I needed some cash last year. :( Do have plans to get another Topre board, though, probably in a few months after I'm done with my next SFF build.

Last edited:
Reactions: annasoh323

Rmorrison

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 30, 2019
im building a kbd75 with 67g zilents and got in on the Polaris 60% group buy. eager to try them both. im rocking a full size logitech k120 currently. Picking up a Skeletor keycap set tomorrow and im so giddy!

I cant wait till Zeal gets another keyboard group buy going. I'll be all in when that happens.

RenG

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 17, 2016
Anyone here can help me to buy the modern M0110? Unfortunately, I missed the group buy.

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
Anyone here can help me to buy the modern M0110? Unfortunately, I missed the group buy.

I have no leads on that, though if you like other classic Apple keyboards there are other modern takes still in progress, like the ASK55 (m0116-based, pretty gorgeous prototypes so far) and ADK64 (not sure of status on that one). Just got a ship notification on my Lunar AEK case, though I think that was the last one of that round. I think Clueboard is also doing a version 2 of the AEK64 in the future, as well.

If you really want the Modern M0110, you'll probably need WTB threads on Geekhack, Deskthority, Reddit, and the other likely spots. Or maybe ask the creator about whether a round 2 is possible (I'm sure there would be interest).

Last edited:

ASCii

(ツ)
Jan 7, 2017

Those of us who joined the groupbuy over a year ago are still waiting for our boards :)

I’d say with in 6 months we might have our boards, you should start to see some for sale after that time at r/mechmarket/ & Geek-hack, but they will surely be marked up significantly.

Last edited:

Canities

Chassis Packer
Apr 18, 2017
I recently got myself an ABS version of the Keychron K2 Mechanical Keyboard via the kickstarter. Its a nice compact keyboard and has Bluetooth and RGB back lighting. I'm quite enjoying it however i have spotted the OLKB ortholinear keyboards which look nice for a mobile setup.