"SFF" Keyboards

What's the smallest you'd go with a keyboard?

• 100%

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • 80%

Votes: 27 9.9%
  • 75%

Votes: 53 19.3%
  • 60%

Votes: 126 46.0%
  • 40%

Votes: 23 8.4%
  • Electrodes implanted into brain, effectively 0%

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
So I realized that waaay back when this thread was shiny and new I voted %60 as the smallest I would go... then a year later I went and built my first board: a %40 ;D So I've updated my vote!
How is the switchover? Finding new ways to optimize your macro key use? I just traveled with my 60% and I didn't particularly feel the need to go smaller (assuming I'm traveling with my S401 build... not the smallest case to travel with to be sure but it was nice having a 1080 on the road :))

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
How is the switchover? Finding new ways to optimize your macro key use? I just traveled with my 60% and I didn't particularly feel the need to go smaller (assuming I'm traveling with my S401 build... not the smallest case to travel with to be sure but it was nice having a 1080 on the road :))
It only took a few days to adjust to the new layout and I much prefer it to my old 108 key now. I have the crkbd and the lady is so much more ergonomic. I actually just bought a kit to build another one with low profile switches for travel.

Reactions: annasoh323

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
It only took a few days to adjust to the new layout and I much prefer it to my old 108 key now. I have the crkbd and the lady is so much more ergonomic. I actually just bought a kit to build another one with low profile switches for travel.
Where'd you buy the parts for the kit? I didn't know they sold standalone low-profile switches. My wallet is starting to get nervous.

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
Just finished soldering this up. WhiteFox case and PCB, Gateron Ink switches, and dark grey Varmilo PBT switches.
Need more time with the switches, but I think I like them: they have a poppy sound and feel to them, while being fairly smooth and quiet. Have a Topre-like quality to them.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Should be finally putting my KBD75 together this week (having two jobs finally came to an end this week). Went ham over the weekend and lubed up 180 switches. I also broke down and got the Red Samurai ortho kit on drop. Gonna get that Preonic board next week.
I was looking at that keycap set too. It's really sleek looking. But I told myself I'd pony up for the keycap set I have and use them forever. They have a similar color scheme to that set (I think). However, the red color in this set is more of a highlight where the Samurai set is featured. Also haven't sucked up the patience to lube up switches either.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
It was my first time lubing. Once you get a rhythm of cracking open the switch, you'll be good. There's are some tools to make things easier as well, like to hold the stem so you can apply the lube. Badseed Tech has a good youtube video about lubing.

Curious. Do you have outemu sky switch? (The one with the teal, nylon top). Have you ever try to open it?

IMO it's very hard to open with the existing switch openers. Granted, mine is the 3d printed one.

Reactions: CountNoctua

Rmorrison

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 30, 2019
Curious. Do you have outemu sky switch? (The one with the teal, nylon top). Have you ever try to open it?

IMO it's very hard to open with the existing switch openers. Granted, mine is the 3d printed one.
I have gaterons, yok, and invyr switches. All were relatively easy to open with a cheapo shapeways switch opener once you get a rhythm going. I kinda crack them open like an egg into a little bowl. I had a bit of trouble at first because the opener is the size of the switch. The Key Dot Co has a two part switch opener coming out soon to GB. https://thekey.company/collections/upcoming-releases/products/mx-switch-opener

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I have gaterons, yok, and invyr switches. All were relatively easy to open with a cheapo shapeways switch opener once you get a rhythm going. I kinda crack them open like an egg into a little bowl. I had a bit of trouble at first because the opener is the size of the switch. The Key Dot Co has a two part switch opener coming out soon to GB. https://thekey.company/collections/upcoming-releases/products/mx-switch-opener

I have no problem opening cherry and gateron witches using the 3d printed swich opener.

It's only for this outemu switch :(

• Sad
Reactions: Rmorrison

Rmorrison

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 30, 2019
Just an FYI, if any of y'all were on the fence about a ~40% board, the Preonic on Drop is now $140 on sale from $170. If you got your own keycaps for it it's another $30 off. paid a tootal of $119 and change. Free shipping too. So stoked to get that board!

Just got some gateron black inks in the mail so I'll be lubing those up tonight along with some stabs.

I have no problem opening cherry and gateron witches using the 3d printed swich opener.

It's only for this outemu switch :(
That's weird, they look just like mx clones.

Reactions: CountNoctua

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Just an FYI, if any of y'all were on the fence about a ~40% board, the Preonic on Drop is now $140 on sale from $170. If you got your own keycaps for it it's another $30 off. paid a tootal of $119 and change. Free shipping too. So stoked to get that board!

Just got some gateron black inks in the mail so I'll be lubing those up tonight along with some stabs.

That's weird, they look just like mx clones.

They have different tolerance, at least from what I tested.

I once tried attaching gateron top (clear polycarbonate) to outemu blue ice bottom (clear blue polycarbonate). It doesn't fit, with the top's leg gaps apparently too small.

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
K

KBDfans have been selling switch openers for ages. They recently restocked, you could get it now instead of waiting for TKC

Rmorrison

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 30, 2019
K

KBDfans have been selling switch openers for ages. They recently restocked, you could get it now instead of waiting for TKC
They sell two different ones and one is sold out. The other one is still pretty small and very similar to the shapeways one. I'm not in dire need of an opener. tkc switch opener looks to be chonky enough not to slip around in my hands.

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
They sell two different ones and one is sold out. The other one is still pretty small and very similar to the shapeways one. I'm not in dire need of an opener. tkc switch opener looks to be chonky enough not to slip around in my hands.

This is the one that opens both Kailh style switches and normal MX/MX clones. You're not supposed to hold it in your hand, just press the switch down onto the opener.

There was another hobbyist shop selling switch opening tool very similar to the ones TKC is advertising (but only for MX/MX clones type switches, this was way before Kailh style switches became popular) unfortunately I bought it years ago and don't have the link to it anymore. IIRC it was pretty affordable (something like 15 buckaroos)

Rmorrison

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 30, 2019
This is the one that opens both Kailh style switches and normal MX/MX clones. You're not supposed to hold it in your hand, just press the switch down onto the opener.

There was another hobbyist shop selling switch opening tool very similar to the ones TKC is advertising (but only for MX/MX clones type switches, this was way before Kailh style switches became popular) unfortunately I bought it years ago and don't have the link to it anymore. IIRC it was pretty affordable (something like 15 buckaroos)
That one looks a lot easier to use than the shapeways one. everytime i put a switch in mine they try to pop back out. That's why I hold it in my hand. I'll definitely order this one though.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016

If anyone here ever tried to open outemu sky switch with that KBDFans' switch opener, please let me know the experience.