• Updates are afoot! Track our progress, report bugs, and make feature requests in our dedicated update thread. Read more
    Our latest release introduces full-screen post editing, ignorable forums and threads, lazy loading, unread thread icons, and other enhancements

Off Topic "SFF" Keyboards

What's the smallest you'd go with a keyboard?

• 100%

Votes: 12 7.7%
  • 80%

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • 75%

Votes: 26 16.7%
  • 60%

Votes: 73 46.8%
  • 40%

Votes: 12 7.7%
  • Electrodes implanted into brain, effectively 0%

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 5 3.2%

• Total voters

riposte

Trash Compacter
Dec 9, 2017

I just realized when typing on this keyboard, I never using my right thumb to press spacebar.
I think my habit from playing games (spacebar for jump) carried over to my typing habit.
The shift key size is small but I never pressing the right shift since I learned typing on PC keyboard.
So, this keyboard layout actually well-suited for me.

Last edited:

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017

I just realized when typing on this keyboard, I never using my right thumb to press spacebar.
I think my habit from playing games (spacebar for jump) carried over to my typing habit.
The shift key size is small but I never pressing the right shift since I learned typing on PC keyboard.
So, this keyboard layout actually well-suited for me.
Yep, I do the same thing, so for my split keyboard, the left thumb key is space and the right one is enter and I don't have a shift key on the right half.

admirerden

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 4, 2019
Reactions: Biowarejak

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
I was looking for a specific style keycaps for a while but I can't find anything that matches. Maybe do you know keycaps that have these kind of… flat areas around? Don't even know how to describe it properly. You can see exactly what I mean at old Bloomberg terminal keyboard, old Apple keyboard or even ancient Apple computer, or Jonathan Mac concept keyboard. I mean this. I know Apple's keycaps are made for Alps switches. But maybe there are ones for Cherry MX?
I can't say I've seen such specimens in the wild yet, at least not in modern keeb building circles. I also haven't traveled very deep into these waters, so maybe check out one of the more enthusiast sites?

What draws you to this cap style?

Reactions: Biowarejak

nostyle

Caliper Novice
Jun 13, 2018
I was looking for a specific style keycaps for a while but I can't find anything that matches. Maybe do you know keycaps that have these kind of… flat areas around? Don't even know how to describe it properly. You can see exactly what I mean at old Bloomberg terminal keyboard, old Apple keyboard or even ancient Apple computer, or Jonathan Mac concept keyboard. I mean this. I know Apple's keycaps are made for Alps switches. But maybe there are ones for Cherry MX?
You’d likely run into clearance issues using caps like that on MX style switches

Treshy

Efficiency Noob
May 4, 2019

Cooler Master SK621 is basically what I always wanted out of a keyboard. 60% size with a imo better layout than just chopping off 40% of a full size board, usb c, bluetooth, Cherry MX Red Low Profile RGB switches, sleek (but sadly ABS) keycaps and a relatively "affordable" pricetag... havent found anyone mentioning it in here so I thought I'd do it. The picture is the German key layout but US layout and others are available as well... what do you guys think?

Last edited:

rfarmer

SFF Guru
Silver Supporter
Jul 7, 2017

Cooler Master SK621 is basically what I always wanted out of a keyboard. 60% size with a imo better layout than just chopping off 40% of a full size board, usb c, bluetooth, Cherry MX Red Low Profile RGB switches, sleek (but sadly ABS) keycaps and a relatively "affordable" pricetag... havent found anyone mentioning it in here so I thought I'd do it. The picture is the German key layout but US layout and others are available as well... what do you guys think?
I was looking at that the other day and looks very cool, the one I am thinking about getting is the ten keyless version.

Donut

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019
Here's my Minidox:

It's closest to 40% keyboards in layout, but it's more of a 30-35% keyboard in the number of keys. I'm still getting used to using layers, but it's fun and comfortable to type on.

Reactions: Soul_Est

ignsvn

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2016

A slightly different flavor in the same layout: GK64 (or iGK64)
- Programmable (although I heard the software is crappy - not QMK - It works but some of the settings are in Chinese)
- Hotswap PCB with Kailh socket, compatible with many MX style switches
- Per key RGB

I own the iGK64 kit ($50: PCB, stabs, alu plate, plastic case) but only plan to build it this weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: annasoh323