"SFF" Keyboards

What's the smallest you'd go with a keyboard?

• 100%

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • 80%

Votes: 27 9.9%
  • 75%

Votes: 53 19.3%
  • 60%

Votes: 126 46.0%
  • 40%

Votes: 23 8.4%
  • Electrodes implanted into brain, effectively 0%

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
I would love to get a 40% keyboard. Maybe even the 40% Planck Keyboard, (but I don't feel like dealing with the soldering) or a nice small but heavy 60%. My biggest (and really my only) requirement is that it be wireless. I can't stand wires and I want to minimize the amount of wires I have to mess with. I already have a bluetooth mouse so it'd be nice to keep them on the same page.

Surely I can't be the first to recall Apple's (stupidly named) Magic Keyboard?

Can't get much smaller than that without really starting to ruin the typability...

+1 Probably what I'm going to end up using with my new build. I already have the mouse (both of them actually). I have the older style keyboard (with the cylinder back) but I'd rather use this one.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I would love to get a 40% keyboard. Maybe even the 40% Planck Keyboard, (but I don't feel like dealing with the soldering) or a nice small but heavy 60%. My biggest (and really my only) requirement is that it be wireless. I can't stand wires and I want to minimize the amount of wires I have to mess with. I already have a bluetooth mouse so it'd be nice to keep them on the same page.

+1 Probably what I'm going to end up using with my new build. I already have the mouse (both of them actually). I have the older style keyboard (with the cylinder back) but I'd rather use this one.
You could get a 60% and make it a Bluetooth device with some extras.

lhl

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2015
Currently I travel with a Vortex Pure Pro 60% (one of the few 60% w/ a nav cluster - useful even as a vim head).

@onlyabloke I'm really looking forward to and will probably grab a Ducky Air (65%, BT3.0). With the HHKB BT (or the arguably better Hasu BT kit) and the Anne Pro, it there's actually a nice range of small, portable, mechanical keyboards out now (there's also the venerable Filco Minila Air, which honestly isn't bad.

I'm vaguely planning to put together a dactyl like two-handed wireless keyboard in the fall/winter, but more as a fun thing than because there isn't anything out there.

Reactions: iFreilicht

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Currently I travel with a Vortex Pure Pro 60% (one of the few 60% w/ a nav cluster - useful even as a vim head).

@onlyabloke I'm really looking forward to and will probably grab a Ducky Air (65%, BT3.0). With the HHKB BT (or the arguably better Hasu BT kit) and the Anne Pro, it there's actually a nice range of small, portable, mechanical keyboards out now (there's also the venerable Filco Minila Air, which honestly isn't bad.

I'm vaguely planning to put together a dactyl like two-handed wireless keyboard in the fall/winter, but more as a fun thing than because there isn't anything out there.

I've seen the ducky ones around, but not sure how I like them. There's one called Vamrillo or something I keep seeing thats supposedly really good but only shows up on Massdrop once in awhile.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
It's fullsized, but I have been eyeing the DSX that pops up on massdrop from time to time.
I don't care either way about the backlighting, but it's a floating key design with a choice of keyswitches, but the price seems a bit high for the feature set.

I'd love to just build my own perfect keyboard, but that will take a lot of time money and research to perfect.
I have very specific thoughts on it, though:
Either full-sized or XT style, but with a Sun Workstation style function cluster on the left (for things like copy, paste, save, etc, and can be reprogrammed for gaming). Floating key design, and I'd love to have cherry Greens on the home keys and blues elsewhere except the pinkies.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I'll have to do some research.

Searching 40% and 60% keyboards doesn't turn up many results on Google aside from Massdrop. I might bite the bullet and get a wired one and just try to make the wire look fancy or something.
Take a look at Deskthority and Geekhack. Adafruit and HackaDay have some good stuff on there for Bluetooth.

Reactions: onlyabloke

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
It's fullsized, but I have been eyeing the DSX that pops up on massdrop from time to time.
I don't care either way about the backlighting, but it's a floating key design with a choice of keyswitches, but the price seems a bit high for the feature set.

I'd love to just build my own perfect keyboard, but that will take a lot of time money and research to perfect.
I have very specific thoughts on it, though:
Either full-sized or XT style, but with a Sun Workstation style function cluster on the left (for things like copy, paste, save, etc, and can be reprogrammed for gaming). Floating key design, and I'd love to have cherry Greens on the home keys and blues elsewhere except the pinkies.

This drop already ended, but might popup again (click the request Burton from the massdrop product page): https://www.massdrop.com/buy/red-scarf-ii-ver-b-custom-mechanical-keyboard-kit

I own an original IBM XT from 1984, heavy, buckling spring and capacitive switches. Its has that same 10 keys cluster on the left. Still have to convert it to USB, but first I must change the insulation foam layer that has dried and f**ks the signals.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I don't have a mechanical keyboard yet, but I'd like to get a 60% keyboard, preferrably one with a silver/black color scheme. Corsair K65 comes close, but their "silver" version is actually a dark gunmetal gray color, so it's not quite there.

Here's my main criteria:
  • Aluminum body (clear anodized)
  • Black keycaps
  • Red or Brown cherry MX

I do like the looks (and price) of the Rapoo KX in silver/black, but it uses Kalih yellow switches which I've read are kind of wishy-washy in performance and feel. Don't know how recommended the Kalih yellows are here.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
but it uses Kalih yellow switches which I've read are kind of wishy-washy in performance and feel. Don't know how recommended the Kalih yellows are here.

IIRC, they are just very inconsistent. They can feel good, but you can just as well get a batch that feels like buttons on a TV remote. (Massively exaggerating) I guess floating keys aren't your style? Because the Whitefox recently got back to massdrop, and while you'd have to buy an additional keyset to get black keys, it has a huge variety of switches you can choose from and a nice aluminium body. Switch choice includes Gateron Browns which I find to be much nicer than the Cherry Browns and Zealios, which are similar to mx clears but require less force to actuate. Personally I'd love to get my hands on Zealios, they seem to be the perfect balance between Brown and Clear, but I can't justify getting them right now.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Yellow was just the stem colour of Kalih PG151101D02 switches, that are now discontinued. They were replaced by
PG151101D05 which have the same stem design but are red. As you may suspect, they are a light linear switch, just like the Cherry MX red.

EDIT: Source

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
I'm 100% mechanical, but my first 2 keyboards where mechanical ones:
  • Amiga with Alps for 6 years (9-15 yo)
  • IBM Model M for 8 years (15-23 yo)
Learnt coding on mechanicals (basic with Alps, C/C++ & assembly with Model M).

Now rocking a nodded Apple M0110 from 1984 (Alps switches) and restoring an IBM Model F XT from 1984 too.

They are old but built like tanks. Keycaps are ultra thick, it only uses through-hole component and DIL package ICs. I wish today's keyboards could be built to this quality standard ... :D

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Here's a question.

Mechanical or Membrane?

I love me a good membrane keyboard (it's what I've been using since 2010) but I might try to get back into Mechanical.

I have both a Noppoo Choc Mini-2M with Cherry MX Red (mechanical) and a CMStorm Novatouch TKL with Topre (electrostatic membrane with conical spring, sort of a hybrid mechanical membrane) and I prefer the straight mechanical. The Novatouch isn't bad by any means, I just prefer the linear feel of the MX Red switches. You may want to find some different keyboards to try out.

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
You may want to find some different keyboards to try out.

Good point there. There are 3 criteria for me:
  • Linear or tactile
  • Silent or clicky
  • Heavy (stiff) or light
Then, there's the keycaps aspect. I prefer spherical SA profile caps.

If you want to easily find keycaps set to customize your keyboard, then Cherry MX is a no-brainer. Alps and Topre sets pops from time to time, but not much choice.

So, as mentioned, try different keyboards and especially key switches. You can. Order key switches tester from Internet.

Reactions: EdZ

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
Good point there. There are 3 criteria for me:
  • Linear or tactile
  • Silent or clicky
  • Heavy (stiff) or light
Then, there's the keycaps aspect. I prefer spherical SA profile caps.

If you want to easily find keycaps set to customize your keyboard, then Cherry MX is a no-brainer. Alps and Topre sets pops from time to time, but not much choice.

So, as mentioned, try different keyboards and especially key switches. You can. Order key switches tester from Internet.

Yup, these are specifically Signature Plastics available profiles, different manufactures have different profiles. I believe there's a few Topre keyboards in the wild now that will take Cherry caps (CM Storm Novatouch, at least). Also if you're a huge alps fan and have the money, Signature Plastics can do you a custom set for ~$400 (for a 60%). I really like the Matias Quiet Click, myself... :)

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Yup, these are specifically Signature Plastics available profiles, different manufactures have different profiles.

You're right, I should have mentioned that :D.

Also if you're a huge alps fan and have the money, Signature Plastics can do you a custom set for ~$400 (for a 60%). I really like the Matias Quiet Click, myself... :)

Always wanted to try the Matias Quiet Click. Considering getting a bag of MQC from them and make my own keyboard. Do you know where I could source Alps caps compatible with the Matias switches (other than old Alps made Dell keyboards) ?

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
You're right, I should have mentioned that :D.

Always wanted to try the Matias Quiet Click. Considering getting a bag of MQC from them and make my own keyboard. Do you know where I could source Alps caps compatible with the Matias switches (other than old Alps made Dell keyboards) ?

Those are one, also a bunch of old Apple keyboards. I know Matias had/has plans to get some switches generally available but I don't think that has come to fruition yet. SP has some Alps blanks in 1u&2u. Looks like Tai-Hao did a set too. Not the best quality but definitely not the worst, and probably cheapest way to go if you want to play with some Matias switches (https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1362). Also, there's the KBParadise 60% with Matias switches if you just wanna buy a keyboard and don't particularly care for Matias' industrial design (https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=987).