Concept SENTRY 3.0: Development and Suggestions

Barracuda727

Average Stuffer
May 27, 2018
I have few questions
1.Why u guys dont have your own internet page with all news and pictures likes Sliger and Dan cases do and others, that would be great,
2.Make case a little huge/thickening so that cpu cooler with 47 mm dont touch metal, few mm between metal and cpu fan will be great,
3.Forget AIO in this case and make room for 2.5 slot cards GPU with 305 mm at least
4.On silverstone page there are new SFX-L PS with 800 or 1000 W, make it possible,if sliger can do it with 8 Liters, U can do it as well

And offcourse give us some news guys, U do great work, and dont forget U made it for fans......fans wanna U delivered,,,lol....great work with sentry 1 and 2.0

This is Sliger CL520 web page with front usb C and 3.0 ports and silverstone with new Power supply

P.S. U heard for Salvio PC cases its clone of yours Sentry I think

Last edited:

tja4430

Trash Compacter
Mar 14, 2020
P.S. U heard for Salvio PC cases its clone of yours Sentry I think
Nah the S402 has a lot of differences from the Sentry.

Barracuda727

Average Stuffer
May 27, 2018
Yea it different I know, but has all that guys on this forum wants USB C front with usb 3.0, cpu fan 53 mm ,2.5-3 slot GPU and SFX-L PS all that in 8.3L,so almost everything, only dont have 7L like Sentry and Sentry looks more attractively and beautifully.....

Barracuda727

Average Stuffer
May 27, 2018
Ok cool but nothing new on this page and its confused somehow, its sentry and machines and some zefir, make hole new web page only about your cases because U changing the manufacturing methods and U say that will be bigger quantities....so one cool page will be great or at least redisigned old page...

tja4430

Trash Compacter
Mar 14, 2020
Ok cool but nothing new on this page and its confused somehow, its sentry and machines and some zefir, make hole new web page only about your cases because U changing the manufacturing methods and U say that will be bigger quantities....so one cool page will be great or at least redisigned old page...
Well it sounds like they are just in the conceptual stage right now, which is very preliminary. When they are ready to provide more information, they'll provide more information.

Linero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2017
Oh boy. I did not see this one coming...

So, I am one of the people who have been following the first iteration of this case even before it was released or Linus had covered it. I followed most videos, reviews and reddit posts. My dreams were swiftly crushed right around the V2's release with its eye watering price tag. It's almost unreal to realise how much time have passed since then. But my fanboying aside...

I have seen some wild feedback after reading everything so far. So, my feed back would be as follows:
  • As you (and I) already mentioned, the price has got to go down. I already read your post on reddit, and I am aware why the V2 was this expensive. So, it would be a game changer if we get around that.
  • Ventilation and cooling need to be revised as #1 priority. It does not matter if the case's dimensions goes up by very few millimeters.
  • Keep the case's identity and size (relatively) the same. This case can not and should not be targeted at 3/+ slot cards, or 16 core processor builds. If anyone wants to pursue that sort of build, then you have many great alternatives with the same console form factor like the P-ATX. At the end of the day, we are all here because of its tiny compact design that we can not get anywhere else. This case = portability for me.
  • Minor: If it's possible, please try to reduce the weight of the case a bit. A case can not be portable if it's it's too heavy to carry around. As long as that doesn't cause any noticeable hit to the rigidity of the panels. Also try and keep the front USB 3 headers. It's too convenient.
  • I also strongly agree that this case should not focus on water cooling at all. If it happens, it happens. I love water cooling as much as the next guy, but this is not the form factor/size for this sort of thing. Once you perfect the air cooling and ventilation, then you can take a look at water cooling, if there is room left for that.
  • V2's grey white > V1's white colour :D
After following your project for so long, I noticed a pattern that I do not quite agree with as well. You tend to put aesthetics before function and performance from time to time. Or at least that the impression I have gotten from everything I have read so far; I could certainly be mistaken. If that's the mindset that you believe in, then sure it's up to you. I am different though; and I am sure I am not the only one there. I would personally accept a MINOR change here and there to the design of the case, if that alleviates some of the cooling issues the case has to face in a number of setups. Which falls back to my second point, I know. But it can not be emphasized enough. That's not to say that the sentry is some sort of heat trap/hazard... Absolutely not.

I feel like I am still missing a couple of points, but that could be mentioned later. Otherwise, this is seriously great news that got me way too excited. I can not wait to see what the future will bring. I wish you the best of luck and success as always.

SkorpioNElite

Chassis Packer
Feb 13, 2021
How about a first look with haxagon holes?

Of course you will drop the 120mm mounting ability for fans, but that compability was noisy and a niche anyway.
Also there seems to be compability issues with third party risers. This should also be fixed in the next Gen Sentry.

More ventilation, less material, less weight ^^.

Redux-Limited

Caliper Novice
Sep 1, 2019
I own a Sentry 2.0 and I'm very happy with it, one of the main reasons I like it it's because it's build like a tank and reading people saying "make it lighter" (which is ridiculous, the case is perfectly fine, they forget that every component adds weight) would probably compromise it's sturdiness.

I don't think you need to change too many things to be honest, maybe revise a bit the cooling as they said but I don't see how much you can improve it.

The USB front connector needs to go altogether, I don't even want a USB-C, I'd rather have a more streamlined front that to deal with that bullsh*t again in any case, like with the M1 I just ditched the whole front IO. The cases are so small and manageable that plugging a simple thing on the back takes the same amount of time and effort that on the front, if you need 10 USBs then you shouldn't be building an SFF PC period.

The PCIe 4.0 riser... and that's it, people are being very unreasonable with some requests, either you do a upgrade version (hence the 3.0) or you build a new case altogether, I think the 2.0 nails a lot of things, you just need to polish (see what I did there?) the rough ones and that's it.

PS: changing the design for the pass thru cooling of some cards doesn't seem like a good idea, well, depends how you execute it, also people wanting to cram a 3090 FE on a 7 liter case are out of their mind.

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
I own a Sentry 2.0 and I'm very happy with it, one of the main reasons I like it it's because it's build like a tank and reading people saying "make it lighter" (which is ridiculous, the case is perfectly fine, they forget that every component adds weight) would probably compromise it's sturdiness.

I don't think you need to change too many things to be honest, maybe revise a bit the cooling as they said but I don't see how much you can improve it.

The USB front connector needs to go altogether, I don't even want a USB-C, I'd rather have a more streamlined front that to deal with that bullsh*t again in any case, like with the M1 I just ditched the whole front IO. The cases are so small and manageable that plugging a simple thing on the back takes the same amount of time and effort that on the front, if you need 10 USBs then you shouldn't be building an SFF PC period.

The PCIe 4.0 riser... and that's it, people are being very unreasonable with some requests, either you do a upgrade version (hence the 3.0) or you build a new case altogether, I think the 2.0 nails a lot of things, you just need to polish (see what I did there?) the rough ones and that's it.

PS: changing the design for the pass thru cooling of some cards doesn't seem like a good idea, well, depends how you execute it, also people wanting to cram a 3090 FE on a 7 liter case are out of their mind.

Why not improve ventilation and make it friendly to pass-through cooling? A 3080 FE is completely reasonable and wouldn’t be Feasible without pass-through cooking. Not to mention tons of cards are now using a pass-through design since it’s shown to be so effective

Reactions: sos

Vir

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2020
Taller and thicker cards are made because they need more cooling, more power. We don't want to support that because we can't state those cards will perform properly in Sentry. As said before, perforation limits the airflow. We don't want to increase the case size significantly as well. We are thinking about the support for 2.5 slot cards and that's what's reasonable here.
This is just blatantly wrong. GPUs are using less power but they are being equipped with bigger coolers.

That's why I'm hoping for 2.5 slot support. This generation of mid-range ITX thas been completely neglected by GPU manufacturers. Simultaneously, case creators are imposing archaic GPU limitations for their cases. Please fill this gap in the market.

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
This is just blatantly wrong. GPUs are using less power but they are being equipped with bigger coolers.

That's why I'm hoping for 2.5 slot support. This generation of mid-range ITX thas been completely neglected by GPU manufacturers. Simultaneously, case creators are imposing archaic GPU limitations for their cases. Please fill this gap in the market.

Umm...any data to back this up??
1080ti has stock power consumption of 250 watts, a 3080 has 320 watts, a 3090 is 350 watts.

GPUs are more power efficient but overall they do not use less power

tja4430

Trash Compacter
Mar 14, 2020

The RTX 3080 stock FE pulls almost 325 W on Furmark Stress Test. In gaming, it still pulls around ~310 W based on GamersNexus' testing (again at stock...).

These new RTX 3XXX cards are more efficient with the architecture, but they ARE pulling more power.

Vir

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2020
The RTX 3080 stock FE pulls almost 325 W on Furmark Stress Test. In gaming, it still pulls around ~310 W based on GamersNexus' testing (again at stock...).

These new RTX 3XXX cards are more efficient with the architecture, but they ARE pulling more power.
This assumes you can't tweak them to draw less without any performance loss. Which you can.

My point wasn't about 3080 cards, though. It cannot fit most 3070 cards, despite them not exceeding the power demand of a 1080ti while rocking bigger heatsinks. You're essentially limiting people to 3060 cards, which the case is almost as expensive as.

Last edited:
Reactions: sos

tja4430

Trash Compacter
Mar 14, 2020
This assumes you can't tweak them to draw less without any performance loss. Which you can.

My point wasn't about 3080 cards, though. It cannot fit most 3070 cards, despite them not exceeding the power demand of a 1080ti while rocking bigger heatsinks. You're essentially limiting people to 3060 cards, which the case are almost as expensive as.
The Sentry currently is a 7.0 L case. Essentially, you're basically asking for a larger case to fit most graphics cards. There were quite a few 1080ti cards, and 2070/2080ti cards that didn't fit in the Sentry 2.0 too.

Vir

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2020
The Sentry currently is a 7.0 L case. Essentially, you're basically asking for a larger case to fit most graphics cards. There were quite a few 1080ti cards, and 2070/2080ti cards that didn't fit in the Sentry 2.0 too.
No. I'm not.

Cream812

What's an ITX?
New User
Oct 31, 2018
I would agree with what others seem to be saying: don't make any major changes to the physical dimensions of the case. I'm rocking a v1.1 and love the form factor, but I just don't think it would be the same if the size were to be increased very much. Not having any experience with the sentry 2, I cannot comment on the airflow of that particular case, but I would love to see even more emphasis on perforation to help cope with the ever-increasing tdp of the new gpus, as my v1.1 struggles. With this being said, I currently have a 3090 and a 9900k in my v1.1, something that is just on the edge of doable but certainly not optimal. I think with the increased perforation in the sentry 2, and potentially even more that could be added, this combination of top-end components could be more easily achieved. Is there any chance that magnetic dust covers could be implemented (not a major gripe but I worry about dust accumulation)? My one other request for the new case would have to be a usb-c front panel connector. As always, keep up the great work and love the case!

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017
1.Why u guys dont have your own internet page with all news and pictures likes Sliger and Dan cases do and others, that would be great,
We have our company website with product page for Sentry 2.0. When we will have new version ready to show to everyone, we will update the product page. Sentry is a side project for us and our main line of business is design of industrial machines, and we don't always have time to keep up with our website when most of our clients come to us through reference and auctions/tenders. The nature of our main line of business is like that and technically the website could just have a contact form and it would still work for us for the most part, except for small wind turbines and Sentry.
2.Make case a little huge/thickening so that cpu cooler with 47 mm dont touch metal, few mm between metal and cpu fan will be great,
That's a valid point coming from many sources already, noted. Not sure how much that should be though - adding 1mm would be enough to prevent cpu fan touching the perforation, but I don't think it would be enough to silence the C7. Adding more is whole different story.
3.Forget AIO in this case and make room for 2.5 slot cards GPU with 305 mm at least
Actually keeping support for AIO doesn't prevent/contradict adding support for 2.5 slot cards, it's the opposite - if we'll go for thicker cards, the support for AIO will get better because the rad+fan package height will go up. On top of that if we perforate the other side of the GPU compartment for the sake of pass-through fans on 3080 FE, it also means better support for AIO.
4.On silverstone page there are new SFX-L PS with 800 or 1000 W, make it possible,if sliger can do it with 8 Liters, U can do it as well
Okay, here's the thing you need to understand - silversone MADE the SFX-L "standard". They won't just back down now from it for some time after investing into it even if this were to be stupid. But for a console/slim case it doesn't make sense to have components pulling this much power because you won't be able to dissipate it. We have 750W SFX PSUs, we will probably get 800W ones at some point as well. SFX-L became the thing because SFX with 80 mm were terribly loud and the idea seemed to be to put 120 mm fan on top of it, but then they figured out it's just that anything bigger than 80 mm is made universal for CPU coolers and cases and is way better.

On top of that there's the issue with modular cables - with SFX 700W PSU it is already an extremely cramped build. Make that SFX-L and you are loosing that one place in the case where you could somehow manage the cables. And know that if we don't provide a solution like custom cables included for those SFX-L PSUs, the reviewers will correctly evaluate this and people won't use those configurations, the same as with AIOs.

As you (and I) already mentioned, the price has got to go down. I already read your post on reddit, and I am aware why the V2 was this expensive. So, it would be a game changer if we get around that.
We know that. That's the whole point of getting to a serial production with tooling. For one the case production itself becomes more reliable and cheaper, for two, we can start talking about distribution - because quite a lot of people got angry about the price without reading and understanding that it did include VAT TAX for EU clients, but a portion of shipping fee for export shipments. Without actual distribution representatives (like local stores), the shipping will be a big portion of the final price.
After following your project for so long, I noticed a pattern that I do not quite agree with as well. You tend to put aesthetics before function and performance from time to time. Or at least that the impression I have gotten from everything I have read so far; I could certainly be mistaken. If that's the mindset that you believe in, then sure it's up to you. I am different though; and I am sure I am not the only one there. I would personally accept a MINOR change here and there to the design of the case, if that alleviates some of the cooling issues the case has to face in a number of setups. Which falls back to my second point, I know. But it can not be emphasized enough. That's not to say that the sentry is some sort of heat trap/hazard... Absolutely not.
I think I get where this comes from, but you don't have all the information on the case that we have, and it usually comes to weighting multiple factors altogether and not just the aesthetics. We know that a lot of you here think that we should simply perforate the case above/at the back of the GPU for additional airflow. There are those who just wanted perforation at one spot where AIO would be and now where the pass-through vent for 3080 FE would be. For the latter, the issue was on how to make single vent to not break the aesthetics, while also keeping the rigidity of the case cover in that area, as well as figuring out if it's still safe with cards that do not have pass through fans/without installed AIO or fan in that spot, when using it in horizontal orientation (since that is something that was still a thing of concern for our case, some people still want a desktop laying case).

Anyway we have to keep in mind that people often buy with their eyes, so aesthetic is important not only for the looks themselves, but they indicate whether something was professionally designed or not. And while for many enthusiasts who are sitting here in the community and giving us feedback about the functionality and performance would like to believe they are the mainstream target audience for the case, and for them just adding a vent at random location just because it's a perfect spot for a pass-through vent is okay, once we set up continuous production in bigger quantities at lower proce, we will have to sell to wider audience.

And that aesthetic part is just on the surface of the issues with implementing a change into existing design - actually every time it starts from function and possibility to manufacture the case with such change. It's not like we open up some drawing software and photoshop potential layouts for vents onto the case, but it starts from figuring out a way to make space for the vent while keeping the functionality and structure in this specific area of the case. I'm not sure if I can explain it any better than saying it's complicated and combines aesthetic, functionality (including performance) and manufacturing capability (including keeping up with EU safety regulations).

This is something I don't agree with because:

1) We are making a case that is supposed to support specific graphic cards. We should not assume people are supposed to overclock nor undervolt their cards. We should state compatibility/compliance for products at stock settings.

2) Whenever I see people stating that you can magically undervolt and tweak CPUs or GPUs without any performance loss, It usually means they do not know the whole truth or simply don't know what they are talking about - it's either about dropping power draw in specific load that isn't actually full load or being lucky with the sample quality of your chip that can actually be stable when you significantly drop the power draw, but it doesn't mean it'll work for everyone on every hardware configuration on every load. I still remember people recommending all cores fixed clock at 4.1 or 4.0 for Ryzen 5 3600 and undervolt without understanding how Zen2 works. Having some actual headroom for undervolt usually means chip or card vendor had to bump up the voltage because the yield/quality of the dies varies or because it also depend on quality of power delivery on motherboard, PSU etc, so it's a lottery on how much headroom you'll have.

My point wasn't about 3080 cards, though. It cannot fit most 3070 cards, despite them not exceeding the power demand of a 1080ti while rocking bigger heatsinks. You're essentially limiting people to 3060 cards, which the case are almost as expensive as.
I know where you are coming from with this, but we can't take responsibility for card vendors streamlining their production and making same type/size of cooler for most of their products. Also such products with huge coolers despite the requirements always existed because there were people who wanted such cards because those would be really quiet. The difference now is that vendors knew there will be issues with production and they cut their product stacks from the bottom to streamline simply because you can't axe the flagships when you are competing against others doing the same thingfor the client.

How about a first look with haxagon holes?
What kind of holes do you have in mind? What size? What kind of pattern/layout?
Also there seems to be compability issues with third party risers. This should also be fixed in the next Gen Sentry.
What kind of issues are you talking about in context of compatibility? People were talking about pci-e 4.0 compatibility in general with all risers, but we are not a riser vendor and we will not state compliance nor specifically develop a 4.0 compliant riser. We can only try to look for a supplier/vendor that has the tech to do it. You don't really need 4.0 yet, it barely makes any difference. I think at this point the board vendors should already be supporting pci-e version switch properly on most of the boards meaning you can switch the pci-e version on the x16 slot separately from M.2. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Is there any chance that magnetic dust covers could be implemented (not a major gripe but I worry about dust accumulation)? My one other request for the new case would have to be a usb-c front panel connector.
For magnetic filters - this will significantly choke the airflow. Big tower cases with case fans can do this because their initial intake area is big and also have big fans next to the filters. For a case that relies on components having their own fans, the GPU and CPU cooler, it's going to choke the airflow significantly.

For type-C at the front. I've talked about it over and over again - it depends on the state of industry when it comes to multiple front panel headers on the boards. We don't want to make a custom USB hub board to support both type A and type C on a single header, we don't want to fall back to USB 2.0 on one of those cables. Also you don't need a type-C on the PC side, your phone cable can be type-A to type-C.

We can see that this new header dedicated to type-C connection is slowly getting more support on the ITX boards, curiously for some time it looked like it was a proprietary asus's connector called type-E, but I've seen boards naming it specifically type-C header, so maybe something changed finally for this connector.