Production S700: Salvo Studios <23L ATX Steel Watercooled Unibody Chassis

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I think you should use the space between the Mobo expansions slots And the lateral so you can install another GPU to do a possible sli setup you got enought space there and you can have Two vertical GPUs back to back.
I've already got you covered. I just realized I don't have an updated image of my latest design. I'll try to get a render posted tonight/tomorrow. Basically, I now have two "flex" adapters so either one can be used to mount a GPU, 2.5" or 3.5" disks, or even a 280mm radiator.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Ok, below are some quick renders I made last night. I still have some things to fix on the chassis like the mounting holes for the SFX PSU, but you can see the waterpump/reservoir and the dual GPUs in this picture. What you can't see are the 6 2.5" SSDs mounted behind the GPUs. The flex bracket won't support the 2.5/3.5" stackers I made for the S401, but making a new design for those shouldn't be hard.

I'd also like to add that the whole front can be moved forward by an additional 1" to allow for larger GPUs, mainboards, or thicker radiators.

3ller

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 21, 2018
If you move forward the mobo even atx PSU should be able to be mounted, and what about single expansion slot on the Mobo side so you can use a sound card or whatever with x1 PCI e Flex cable?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
If you move forward the mobo even atx PSU should be able to be mounted, and what about single expansion slot on the Mobo side so you can use a sound card or whatever with x1 PCI e Flex cable?

I've tried but can't seem to find a good solution when using an ATX PSU. Some of the main problems with an ATX PSU is the length: different models actually vary the length dramatically and would mean I'd have to reserve 30% or so of the case just for the PSU. I honestly don't have a good ATX PSU solution but I'm always trying to think of a good way I could make it work without wasting too much space.

As far as the PCIe and risers: I'm trying to get the flex slots to support 1 dual-slot PCIe device or 2 single-slot PCIe devices. That means if you wanted up to 4 single-slot PCIe devices, you would be able to do so but each PCIe cable is going to cost around $25. Also, you'll notice that there isn't room for oversized PCIe devices (in terms of width) so GPU compatibility will be restricted to the standard 120mm width.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
I just want to say (as someone jumping over from the S401 thread): If the S700 comes out anywhere near as robustly built as the S401, it will be an absolute tank. You will be able to put treads on it and ride into battle. The vent holes look thin but the metal used is incredibly resistant to flexing. Metallurgically speaking, I don't know exactly what goes into this particular brew but it is an extremely hardy material. It's not clear to me what holds the joints together but I'm sure that they will be sufficiently strong to hold it all together.

Reactions: Sparkles

FredHamley

Chassis Packer
Dec 24, 2017
love this!
I'd really like to see a smaller version - perhaps with 240mm on the front, and another 240mm inside, an m-atx version?
Or maybe 360mm, with vertical GPU to reduce the depth?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
love this!
I'd really like to see a smaller version - perhaps with 240mm on the front, and another 240mm inside, an m-atx version?
Or maybe 360mm, with vertical GPU to reduce the depth?

If I had more time and money I'd probably do this. As it stands, it's hard to get one project done (S401), much less two. I'm still trying to work on the S700 in my "spare" time but kids and travel are eating my time up. Thank you for the encouragement though, I need every bit to energize me to the finish line.

Reactions: FredHamley

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Did you end up being able to build a usable system in your existing proto?

I probably could but it would require a few holes to be drilled and the GPU mount is a bit off so it wouldn't be held in very tightly. Since I don't have a whole lot of work to do for the S401, I'm going to try to get the S700 prototype 2 design finalized by Monday - but no promises.

FredHamley

Chassis Packer
Dec 24, 2017
If I had more time and money I'd probably do this. As it stands, it's hard to get one project done (S401), much less two. I'm still trying to work on the S700 in my "spare" time but kids and travel are eating my time up. Thank you for the encouragement though, I need every bit to energize me to the finish line.
Either way this is brilliant work and really happy to see a case like this. :)
I really enjoy "cramming" the best watercooling setup into the smallest amount of space, maintaining great temps whilst looking nice at the same time.

On one side of the scale you have a Nano S with fans on the outside, where as the S700 is nearly the same size, volume wise, but looks 10x better. I really love the minimalist look.

If it's any inspiration/motivation, I would pay a significant amount for this case - a well built, well thought out solution to having at least 480mm of radiator space in a case smaller than, or around 20L would be worth 250-350$ for me, in terms of pricing. (I know that would be higher if this were manufactured in a smaller amount - and to be fair, the cost of doing something like this through protocase for a one of prototype, which is what I'd be looking to do for myself would be easily 500+$.)

I completely envy anyone who has the experience to be able to design cases in CAD - I don't have the time nor patience to put my ideas down into a 3D model. So you are doing great work, even if you feel like you don't have enough spare time - you are doing more than I ever will! :)

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Either way this is brilliant work and really happy to see a case like this. :)
I really enjoy "cramming" the best watercooling setup into the smallest amount of space, maintaining great temps whilst looking nice at the same time.

On one side of the scale you have a Nano S with fans on the outside, where as the S700 is nearly the same size, volume wise, but looks 10x better. I really love the minimalist look.

If it's any inspiration/motivation, I would pay a significant amount for this case - a well built, well thought out solution to having at least 480mm of radiator space in a case smaller than, or around 20L would be worth 250-350$ for me, in terms of pricing. (I know that would be higher if this were manufactured in a smaller amount - and to be fair, the cost of doing something like this through protocase for a one of prototype, which is what I'd be looking to do for myself would be easily 500+$.)

I completely envy anyone who has the experience to be able to design cases in CAD - I don't have the time nor patience to put my ideas down into a 3D model. So you are doing great work, even if you feel like you don't have enough spare time - you are doing more than I ever will! :)

Thank you for the encouragement. It's been extremely hard to get any progress made on this project as my kids are trying to kill me by not letting me sleep - and the S401 continues to find new ways to demand time for content creation. I have good news though: I have reached the plateau of completion for the S700 where I only need to get the drawings to the machine shop for them to start on the next prototype. Several things have changed - mostly with the flex bracket. The drawings will be completed tonight and delivered by tomorrow morning. Then, I'm looking at about a 2-3 week lead time before that prototype is complete. This is why I'm taking my time to ensure I can get the details ironed out before I submit my plans. I'll try to get some renders posted with the various configurations I'm going to try to support, but that just means more content creation. :)

The6A

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2017
Just wanted to say, Love this idea and hope I can throw some cash out for it soon. I have a dan a4 that I roll with as a portable workstation. I do GPUs 3D rendering. I have a dual GPU dual 240rad setup in a m-atx case but its a bit unwieldy to imagine taking onsite. Would love a portable dual gpu setup.

Do you think you can get a loop with CPU and dual gpu all water cooled and have reasonable temps in this ??

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Just wanted to say, Love this idea and hope I can throw some cash out for it soon. I have a dan a4 that I roll with as a portable workstation. I do GPUs 3D rendering. I have a dual GPU dual 240rad setup in a m-atx case but its a bit unwieldy to imagine taking onsite. Would love a portable dual gpu setup.

Do you think you can get a loop with CPU and dual gpu all water cooled and have reasonable temps in this ??

I'm not sure you could manage a loop with dual GPUs. The CPU will be required to be watercooled and when two GPUs are installed the only radiator the 360mm. When the front panel is extended by just over 3/4", a radiator/fan combo can be up to 62mm thick. Perhaps you could dedicate a thin 360mm x 25mm radiator for the GPUs and then stack a thin 120 or 240 radiator directly behind the 360? I'll have to see what the prototype allows when I have it in hand.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I wanted to add that I adore this design and it's actually remarkably similar to a modded Thermaltake Core G3 I did a few years ago that employed removal of the front panel and a custom hexagonal 360mm front grill for mounting the radiator too.

I'm not the most skilled modder so while it was functional, it was a bit of a hack job and the case it self was cheap steal so I prayed for someone to do a similar design so I could recreate that system with a more high quality build and purposeful design.
I think your design really achieves that.

Watching closely as I'd be very interested in picking one of these up once you enter production.

IronLegacy45

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2018
@grsychckn, first of all I loved this design much more than the cerberus x and thus i am waiting for its release. I had just one suggestion that will just make this case perfect for me and quite a few other people. Will it be possible to expand the back space for gpu so as to fit triple slot gpus? Also, will it be too hard to go all out and produce tg panels for it?

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
@grsychckn, first of all I loved this design much more than the cerberus x and thus i am waiting for its release. I had just one suggestion that will just make this case perfect for me and quite a few other people. Will it be possible to expand the back space for gpu so as to fit triple slot gpus? Also, will it be too hard to go all out and produce tg panels for it?

I need to think about the triple slot support because I'll have to completely redesign the Flex bracket and one other major part which is going to cost near a thousand dollars. It's a good idea and may make the design simpler but I may not have the cash to do so until more S401 units are sold.

As for the tempered glass, I was wanting both side panels to be made of that material but if you want to use a triple slot card you're going to need vents which negates the use of tempered glass. Also, the cost of tempered glass from my limited searching would be around $100 a panel for simple custom designs (4 holes). I'm basically waiting on the side panel options until I'm done with the main design.

I know these might not be the answers you're looking for but I will see if it's feasible for both of your suggestions. Also, Thank you for posting your requests now because I can still make modifications.

IronLegacy45

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2018
I need to think about the triple slot support because I'll have to completely redesign the Flex bracket and one other major part which is going to cost near a thousand dollars. It's a good idea and may make the design simpler but I may not have the cash to do so until more S401 units are sold.

As for the tempered glass, I was wanting both side panels to be made of that material but if you want to use a triple slot card you're going to need vents which negates the use of tempered glass. Also, the cost of tempered glass from my limited searching would be around $100 a panel for simple custom designs (4 holes). I'm basically waiting on the side panel options until I'm done with the main design.

I know these might not be the answers you're looking for but I will see if it's feasible for both of your suggestions. Also, Thank you for posting your requests now because I can still make modifications.
thanks for replying to my queries so quickly. The tempered glass panels are not the major priority of mine right now as you are including acrylic panels. But the triple slot gpu support is more needed for me as most of the new rtx 2080 (save a few of them) have a 2.5 slot to 3 slot design and hence my request. The card i was thinking of getting has a thickness of 59.9mm. If this support is brought in here, this will be like the ultimate slim atx case for me (the cerberus x was no match for it in any case ;)). Also, if the custom tg panels cost that much, why dont you attach the panels using the peg system? I think that would be a bit more cost effective as well as easier to remove from the sides. You can also implement this on the acrylic panels if you like as well.

Plus, if you want to source cheap custom Tempered glass, you should check out places like alibaba which sells them in bulk for prices like $30-$40 per piece for the same dimensions

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
thanks for replying to my queries so quickly. The tempered glass panels are not the major priority of mine right now as you are including acrylic panels. But the triple slot gpu support is more needed for me as most of the new rtx 2080 (save a few of them) have a 2.5 slot to 3 slot design and hence my request. The card i was thinking of getting has a thickness of 59.9mm. If this support is brought in here, this will be like the ultimate slim atx case for me (the cerberus x was no match for it in any case ;)). Also, if the custom tg panels cost that much, why dont you attach the panels using the peg system? I think that would be a bit more cost effective as well as easier to remove from the sides. You can also implement this on the acrylic panels if you like as well.

Plus, if you want to source cheap custom Tempered glass, you should check out places like alibaba which sells them in bulk for prices like $30-$40 per piece for the same dimensions

Great points, I need to consider that premium price will mean customers will have high end GPUs. Of course, I was thinking that would be water cooled in a custom loop but it would be nice if that wasn't a requirement.

I'll start working on triple GPU support this weekend. It is possible that the machine shop hasn't started and so I can submit changes with little to no cost. I'll update when I find this out.

IronLegacy45

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2018
Great points, I need to consider that premium price will mean customers will have high end GPUs. Of course, I was thinking that would be water cooled in a custom loop but it would be nice if that wasn't a requirement.

I'll start working on triple GPU support this weekend. It is possible that the machine shop hasn't started and so I can submit changes with little to no cost. I'll update when I find this out.
thanks for the update. I would love to see the development of this case.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update: I scrambled to get revisions made to the latest S700 before the fabricator started working on the S700 and I just barely got done in time. That said, the new design *should* support triple-slot GPUs, but tolerances were tight so I need to have the prototype in hand before I make any official decision. It sounded like the fabricator would be punching the parts soon so perhaps they'll be don before Thanksgiving.