S4Mini classic - black screen - advice sought

jeht

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
May 8, 2017
Hi community,

Problem:
All components turn on but no video output when using with riser.
Works fine without riser. (GPU plug direct into motherboard)
Riser works fine when used on a seperate build (Matt, gtx970, desktop psu)

Components assembled for my S4 mini build:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 (65w)
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 SC (06G-P4-6163-KR)
MB: Asus ROG Strix B350-I
RAM: 2x4 GB Kingston value ram DDR4 2133
SSD: Samsung 970 evo nvme 500gb
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a
Power: HDPLEX 300w DC-DC PSU + DA330PM111
PCIE Riser: NFC Systems 16x PCIE Ribbon Cable

#bios, I do have this upgraded so that it can utilise the ryzen cpu. But there isn’t any option within it to allow me to change the pcie mode.

My current hypothesis is that the riser doesn’t seem to work for this specific combo (any recommendations of what riser to get?).
Another hypothesis is that I should downgrade my GPU to a 1050ti (any recommendations?).

Thanks!

Last edited:

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
Firstly, I've no doubt you've put the riser in the correct way, but double-check that o_O
Secondly, odd that the riser wouldn't work with your setup, but alternatively maybe take a look at the "Sintech PCI-e express 16X Riser Extender Card +5cm high speed Flexible Cable" which you should be able to find new on eBay / Amazon / AliExpress.
I'd reckon 300w is more than enough grunt for this rig so power shouldn't be the issue - good luck!
*EDIT* Is there any POST info or text/images showing at all when you boot, or is it all black?

Reactions: brt02

jeht

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
May 8, 2017
Cheers mate! I picked up a Phanteks Slimline 300mm 180 degree adapter because that was what I could find available and now it works! except that the cable is so long that its folded against the back of the GPU. I'll order the Sintech on ebay and go from there. Cheers!

Reactions: br3nd0