Completed S401: Salvo Studios <8L mITX Steel Unibody Chassis w/ GPU & CPU fans in same direction

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Update: I'm working on getting the pre-order page ready on my website. Shipping is going to be a struggle as the quoted shipping rates (using my FedEx/UPS accounts BTW) differ from the "real-time" quotes and the actual prices I receive when I attempt to print out a shipping label. On top of that, my host (rebel.com) wants me to connect my already linked shipping accounts to shippo so I can have a service print the label (additional charges apply). I'm most likely going to limit the shipping choice to either UPS or FedEx - I don't want the hassle of different accounts and different drop off locations. If someone needs one or the other I can ship with either but I'm leaning FedEx now because I'm familiar with their website and process.

I'm currently working with UPS to see what kind of rates they can give me as a small business but it doesn't appear so far to justify switching over from FedEx. What I am most likely going to have to do is take the real-time quotes and add a flat rate on top of them to reflect my actual costs. It will be a small fee added in to help average my actual costs to even.

I still haven't received the sample unit from the fabricator and I'm quite frustrated. I'm receiving another package from them tomorrow that hopefully will have the main unit so I can get photographs taken and update the website.

Lastly, I want to say thanks to everyone for their support and enthusiasm as I know there have been delays (par for the course) and challenges along the way. With that said however, I've experienced a few unforeseen expenses in the last week or so that I didn't account for when calculating the final cost of the S401. I will not be raising the price from $165.00 but I wanted to be on the record that I'm officially negative some small amount of money on each unit. I'm hoping there will be enough custom side panel work to help me offset the losses because the margin on the custom work is much greater than that of the standard case. The removable handle will also be selling at a loss because of a communication problem between myself and the fabricator on how much in total it would cost to produce. The short of it was that I didn't communicate to them the need to have the hex bar cut, drilled, and tapped to fasten to the bracket they made and so I only factored in the cost of the bracket, fasteners, and raw hex stock. Having the shop cut, drill, tap, and paint each hex bar added over $9/ea to the cost. I only had 60 units made so once they are sold out, I probably won't be selling any more.

The next newsletter will mark the opening of the pre-orders. I will have at least 3 different packages to choose from (Basic, Custom 1, and Custom 2) with varying accessories and options to choose from.

Thanks for reading this wall of text, but things are progressing and as a reminder, according to the PO I sent to the fabricator the first shipment of cases will arrive the week of September 10. After that, it will be mayhem for me as I try to keep up with orders. I'm looking forward to it.

P.S. I need someone to give me feedback on the pre-order process and options (as well as the look and description on the website). If you can help me with this PM me. Thanks!

I've just lived through the biggest hurricane scare of my lifetime so I have a full supply of goodwill and thanksgiving to spare. In my opinion, you're 100% justified in setting the price of the base unit to whatever you need to make it worth your while. You've not sold any actual preorders or set any hard prices as of yet. I've been tracking with the understanding that everything was fluid.

That said, I hope that tomorrow's mail delivery really does have the production unit! I've eaten up every picture you've posted so far and so I'm not sure what'll happen when I see it in its professionally photographed final form. Wish I could help you with the website and pre-order feedback but I'm not business-minded, artistic, or even very tasteful so I'm exactly not the right person to be able to help you. Willing to try, though, if no one else with a better skillset is able to jump in. If in a couple of days I see you still asking for help, I'll shoot you a PM.

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
When will you have an inventory of the 401? Are you doing pre-orders now? Checked the website and it is OOS.

The fabricator has a delivery date set for the week of September 10th. I have not opened up the pre-order yet as I'm finalizing the shipping and website information. I can say I'm planning on making the pre-order available in the next week. I'll have to do this to make sure I can get all the custom panels cut so I can ship out the units as soon as I can after receiving them from the fabricator.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
If it would make you some $$ I'd say that 175 is pretty good for the price. (Depending on shipping costs).

What all is included in the base price (I know custom pannels and what not are extra)

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
If it would make you some $$ I'd say that 175 is pretty good for the price. (Depending on shipping costs).

What all is included in the base price (I know custom pannels and what not are extra)

From my text I'm currently writing up for the pre-order:

S401 Unibody Case
  • S401 case made from galvanized steel and powder coated fine texture (satin) black
  • Steel side panels
  • Steel vertical stands (2)
  • Standard 16mm white LED power switch (installed)
  • 300mm PCIe x16 extender (installed)
  • C14 PSU internal cable extender (installed)
  • 6 foot power cable
  • Front panel USB Type-A/Type-C adapter (installed, 20-pin mainboard header cable included)
  • All hardware to mount components (mainboard screws, 2.5" or 3.5" disk drive screws, PSU screws, GPU screws, 60mm fan screws, low profile side panel screws, vertical stand thumbscrews)
If you think I've missed anything or have questions please ask!

Reactions: Poblopuablo

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Well, I just got the sample unit and it's pretty much worse-case scenario. The holes on the front aren't centered and the USB holes are still mis-located. I went back and of course SolidWorks strikes again on the vent holes - they must have changed between edits I made for the USB holes (don't ever use linear pattern - it's very difficult to fully define your drawing).

I'm not sure what to do now as the machine shop is closed until Tuesday. All I can hope is that they haven't yet started fabricating this part (although I suspect they have). I'm looking at up to a $6k mistake if they parts have already been punched and bent.

Needless to say, I'm pretty devastated right now. Stupid front-mounted USB adapter. As soon as I hear anything from the fabricator I'll update here, but I'm going to need some distance from case design for a few days.

Reactions: whatanoob

papayo

Caliper Novice
Jun 4, 2018
I'm gonna second or third the notion that you are not handcuffed to a $160 price. IMO this case is a steal anywhere below $200. I'll be putting in a custom panel order to inflate that price as best I can :) hope you find some peace this weekend.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Thanks for the short and kind words. Got word back from the shop and thankfully they haven't started on that part yet so adjustments can still be made. Unfortunately it might eat valuable time and further delay my targeted release. Keep an eye out for updates.

Whoa, not sure why my notifications didn't alert me to this whole part of the thread. What a roller coaster! I'm grateful with you that things are recoverable. I'd hate to see a passion project like this become a loss for you. Will you be able to have them fab just a new front panel piece for your final approval?

I know I just asked a question but truly, take as much of a breather as you need. Hopefully you'll get some rest over this weekend (I know I will be since next week is going to be pretty whack at work).

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Will you be able to have them fab just a new front panel piece for your final approval?

So the front panel is part of the main body where everything mounts. I spent a lot of time today checking everything out and discovered I have a problem with the PSU mount because the screw heads will scratch the acrylic since they are not counter-sunk. I think this is a relatively easy fix but the major problem now is each time I make a change to the design it costs time which is quite honestly more valuable to me than the money. I'm already past my deadline for making the S401 available for sale and I have thousands of dollars of equipment and supplies sitting and waiting for this part to be done. I may have to get the shop to waterjet the next prototype as that will save time but cost probably twice as much, but I think it's what I'm going to have to do.

Regardless, I'm going to be very aggressive with the timeline for fixing this part. I keep getting queries from my website from users who are ready to buy and I know I'm missing out on at least some sales because I'm not done. Bottom line: it will get done soon, the question is how much will it cost and how much time can the fabricator give me.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
So the front panel is part of the main body where everything mounts. I spent a lot of time today checking everything out and discovered I have a problem with the PSU mount because the screw heads will scratch the acrylic since they are not counter-sunk. I think this is a relatively easy fix but the major problem now is each time I make a change to the design it costs time which is quite honestly more valuable to me than the money. I'm already past my deadline for making the S401 available for sale and I have thousands of dollars of equipment and supplies sitting and waiting for this part to be done. I may have to get the shop to waterjet the next prototype as that will save time but cost probably twice as much, but I think it's what I'm going to have to do.

Regardless, I'm going to be very aggressive with the timeline for fixing this part. I keep getting queries from my website from users who are ready to buy and I know I'm missing out on at least some sales because I'm not done. Bottom line: it will get done soon, the question is how much will it cost and how much time can the fabricator give me.

Forgot that it was part of the main assembly... well, we wish you best of luck! I'm sure that this case will still scratch that itch for enough people. Yes, folks may or may not lose interest in the near term but once they're released and people are building in them, I'm sure things will swing right back up.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017

Sparkles

Trash Compacter
Jul 24, 2018
The pictures are just awesome! Really nice seeing it all come together. Maybe by the end of the year I'll have a little Salvo family if the S700 moves quick. Both cases are beyond perfect for what I'm looking for and am loving this industrial look with the hexagonal vent holes.

papayo

Caliper Novice
Jun 4, 2018
I see the acrylic panels are a separate ordering process. Does this mean the case comes with the standard panels that we then can swap in and out with the custom acrylic, or does one order override the other?