Completed S401: Salvo Studios <8L mITX Steel Unibody Chassis w/ GPU & CPU fans in same direction

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Any news on the L-brackets?
I have the material and the laser map done. I'm currently wrestling with how I can cut the pieces without having the honeycomb platform underneath reflect back up and melt the edge of the pieces ruining the smooth finish I'd really like. I'm investigating purchasing some laser cutting platform "blades" that I can place between the platform and the piece being cut so that I at least minimize the reflection to a select few areas. This will result in a higher quality edge finish and if I get different lengths, I should be able to position them for other projects as well. The long pole in the tent has been my inability to get the measurements made while I'm at home. I should have some time to do this tonight since I'll be in the driveway handing out candy. Long story longer: I'm still working on this but need to figure out the best way to support the acrylic while I cut while enabling the smoothest edge (because that will be visible).

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I still have the prototype set if you're interested in those - just make me an offer (they will have the edge blemishes but I think they would pass the 3-foot test).

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
I have the material and the laser map done. I'm currently wrestling with how I can cut the pieces without having the honeycomb platform underneath reflect back up and melt the edge of the pieces ruining the smooth finish I'd really like. I'm investigating purchasing some laser cutting platform "blades" that I can place between the platform and the piece being cut so that I at least minimize the reflection to a select few areas. This will result in a higher quality edge finish and if I get different lengths, I should be able to position them for other projects as well. The long pole in the tent has been my inability to get the measurements made while I'm at home. I should have some time to do this tonight since I'll be in the driveway handing out candy. Long story longer: I'm still working on this but need to figure out the best way to support the acrylic while I cut while enabling the smoothest edge (because that will be visible).
I'm imagining you dressed up as a mad scientist hunched over the laser cutter with heat and light pouring out of it and the heat stack in the garage roof. Costumed children take tentative steps toward your driveway and offer a tepid, "Trick or treat?" You whip around with a twinkle in your eye, a melting piece of acrylic in one hand, and a razor blade in the other. "Trick or treat indeed!" you cackle as you put down the tools in your hand and slide over a bowl with pieces of slightly-singed candy.

...how much was that laser cutter again? I have an idea for next year.

Reactions: rfarmer

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I'm imagining you dressed up as a mad scientist hunched over the laser cutter with heat and light pouring out of it and the heat stack in the garage roof. Costumed children take tentative steps toward your driveway and offer a tepid, "Trick or treat?" You whip around with a twinkle in your eye, a melting piece of acrylic in one hand, and a razor blade in the other. "Trick or treat indeed!" you cackle as you put down the tools in your hand and slide over a bowl with pieces of slightly-singed candy.

...how much was that laser cutter again? I have an idea for next year.
Good writing, but my life is much more boring than that. Come to think of it though, the laser cutter crate is still in the garage next to my project car - it would have been a great size for a casket...

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update: I just bought some laser platform blades from China but it's going to take at least a week for them to get here. I'll cut them down to whatever size I need after that.

Reactions: annasoh323

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Good writing, but my life is much more boring than that. Come to think of it though, the laser cutter crate is still in the garage next to my project car - it would have been a great size for a casket...
I took my car for servicing and the service reception office was totally decked out for Halloween. I had to dodge cobwebs and dangling spiders and there was a wrapped-up "corpse" hanging next to the payment window. I don't know exactly what they packed the trash bags with to create the shape of said "corpse" but it did look believably like a humanoid form.

If the battery in my RGB strip remote controller weren't dead, I'd shift my colors to something more autumn-appropriate.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
These are the best picts I have right now.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
i feel like at some point 170mm gpu and 120mm aio was mentioned. is that a thing in the current model?
If you flip back a couple of pages, there's a post where he mentioned that there were some 120 mounting points back there somewhere. I don't recall if he mentioned the clearance distances. I think the stance is that it's not officially supported but folks are free to give it a shot (as someone did with the original S400). Sorry that I'm not providing the exact post number and people involved; but I think it's all back there.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
If you flip back a couple of pages, there's a post where he mentioned that there were some 120 mounting points back there somewhere. I don't recall if he mentioned the clearance distances. I think the stance is that it's not officially supported but folks are free to give it a shot (as someone did with the original S400). Sorry that I'm not providing the exact post number and people involved; but I think it's all back there.

Do you work with @grsychckn? If so, you should have a banner too! :)

octiny

Chassis Packer
Jul 26, 2018
Yes, the vandal button is 16mmm diameter.

Thanks! Also, would a 200mm pcie riser be long enough (dual slot card)? Iffy on the standard 30cm as dans/alpenfon black ridge cooler would be going in it, meaning it would be up against the fin stack due to the extra length bending towards it.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Thanks! Also, would a 200mm pcie riser be long enough (dual slot card)? Iffy on the standard 30cm as dans/alpenfon black ridge cooler would be going in it, meaning it would be up against the fin stack due to the extra length bending towards it.
200 would not be enough. I would recommend folding the cable over itself so that it has an "s" curve from the side. I can try to get a picture of that tonight as well.

Reactions: octiny

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Do you work with @grsychckn? If so, you should have a banner too! :)
No, sir, just someone who's been along for the ride for a while now and a happy customer. If I hadn't found an S400 build on PCPP, I wouldn't be here on SFFF. @grsychckn himself doesn't have any of his own branding seemingly. He's the sole and true master of Salvo Studios.

The Alpenfon (sorry, don't know how to do the special characters in the name) cooler looks pretty neat. The way RAM prices are, I can't justify the low profile needed for that cooler. Plus, the value to performance aspect is tough to swallow. Any reviews on that, though? If CPU performance can be vastly improved then maybe there's something to it.

Reactions: Windfall

octiny

Chassis Packer
Jul 26, 2018
The Alpenfon (sorry, don't know how to do the special characters in the name) cooler looks pretty neat. The way RAM prices are, I can't justify the low profile needed for that cooler. Plus, the value to performance aspect is tough to swallow. Any reviews on that, though? If CPU performance can be vastly improved then maybe there's something to it.

I don't see it performing any worse than what's already out there under 52mm, air cooler wise. I'm simply getting it for the athstetics and since I already have 32GB LPX that wouldn't much of a problem on my end, plus $62 after shipping isn't too shabby. But I understand where you're coming from. I'll be moving my 2080 Ti/8086k delidded w/ copper ihs (using 545LC in it, 1.22v 5ghz) from the Dan A4 into the S401. Looking forward to it! It shall be pretty and functional :D

Reactions: annasoh323