S4 Mini Top Hat

nyxtom

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 5, 2018
I've been working on this design for a few weeks now, and I've managed to test out some components such as the AlphaCool XT45 40mm Triple and Double. I also have a few Magicool Dual 40mm.

I have a number of ongoing variations of this design and I'm in the process of milling a prototype. I wanted to get some feedback from the community about your thoughts.

Specifically, what I've run into is that the AlphaCool XT45 Dual/Triple 40mm will not work in this case (unmodded). The issue is that you will need a minimum of two of these and the extended barb fittings on the AlphaCool won't fit with a 1/4" ID 3/8" OD tubing without significant kinking.

I am currently in the process of testing the Magicool 40mm dual radiators as these are slimmer and provide a 3/8" ID 5/8" OD barb fitting that can be used as shown in the above photos with a Noctua 20mmx40mm fans.

The hope is that you will be able to use this top hat either for these slim radiators for a low watt cpu water cooling build or use it for an extended graphics card compartment, or simply to look through the design and see the internals through the acrylic panel. Most of the additional details are in my post below.

Let me know what you think! Would anyone want one of these?

Last edited:

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
You know what? This is exactly the type of insanity that is needed.

Now make every SFF case English-style. Tea cups optional.

Reactions: royalba94

nyxtom

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 5, 2018
If your "top hat" could fit an HDPlex 400 watt ACDC and an FE card, serious business may occur.

Yea I was curious about that. I was wondering whether people care enough about the liquid cooling aspect as much as people want a version that can fit both of these things. Doing this is a crap ton easier by far. Also, I have some ideas around an rgb layering if anyone is interested.

Reactions: Reldey

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Yea I was curious about that. I was wondering whether people care enough about the liquid cooling aspect as much as people want a version that can fit both of these things. Doing this is a crap ton easier by far. Also, I have some ideas around an rgb layering if anyone is interested.
Yeah, I won't pretend to be an expert on what people want and will actually buy, but if I had to guess, I would assume more people would value having an internal ACDC with a longer/bigger GPU as well. If it's easier that is even better.

nyxtom

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 5, 2018
Something like this would be fun to mod. I'm thinking matte black on the aluminum body adds a nice touch to the overall feel. I'm looking into walnut cuts for the extension frame to accent (along with the clear acrylic for the final piece.

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
@nyxtom this is very similar to the idea I had, but I wanted to make it all one unit, so that the front screws could be removed.

I posted this in the S4M thread, but take a look at what I had in mind:

So I drew @Josh | NFC this pretty picture. It is a concept to extend the front bezel out a good bit to allow for more connections and things such as:

• possibly housing the HDPlex DC/DC
  • if DC/DC is moved, can put in the 50 mm fans to allow for moar airflow.
  • allowing for Front usb ports, front audio ports.
  • This would also allow for slightly longer graphics cards.
If this were made as one unit, could remove the visibility of the front screws by screwing the 3D front bezel in from the inside.
Comments, suggestions?

nyxtom

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 5, 2018
@nyxtom this is very similar to the idea I had, but I wanted to make it all one unit, so that the front screws could be removed.

I posted this in the S4M thread, but take a look at what I had in mind:

I definitely had some ideas regarding some extra ports but was unsure about implementing in this initial version. I would love to make this a single frame enclosure without having to do to many screws, though with this design I need the front panel of the frame taken off so it does require some extra steps (otherwise you won't be able to lay the HDPlex 400w DC-ATX flat as shown in my design). It's a bit more work but it's not too bad you just have to attach this single unit frame into it. I was planning on a simple peg system for the acrylic to mount onto the wood frame to avoid having to do screw anything else in (plus I don't like the look of the screws through the acrylic anyhow).

I do have the option of making this a single piece frame instead of the two pieces (3 if you include the acrylic) as shown. This version is just a lot easier to cut with the band saw since is all. Also, the other main issue with a single thick unit is the thickness of the wood required; it's much more difficult to find a 2.5" thick walnut than it is 1.5", though it is possible.

Reactions: el01

dragon50305

Trash Compacter
Jul 3, 2018
If you can get the s4m to fit an FE card I'll buy a top hat for whatever it costs. That would solve every issue I've been having planning a build. If you can make it 3d printable even better!

Edit: Also, any ideas on how much volume that might add?

nyxtom

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 5, 2018
If you can get the s4m to fit an FE card I'll buy a top hat for whatever it costs. That would solve every issue I've been having planning a build. If you can make it 3d printable even better!

Edit: Also, any ideas on how much volume that might add?

The overall dimensions of the top hat extends the case by an additional 55mm. The current dimensions of the S4M (exterior) is:

348mm x 225mm x 64mm

So the extra 55mm extends that to:

348mm x 280mm x 64mm

Interior dimensions of the S4M:

341mm x 215mm x 57mm

Top hat interior dimensions:

338mm x 52mm x 54mm

The wood base is 40mm extended from the edge of the exterior frame with the acrylic being an additional 15mm from the edge of the wood. Both the wood enclosure and the acrylic are 5mm thick all the way around the border. The wood needs at least 5mm all the way around to maintain rigidity and strength to avoid bowing. The acrylic has an internal cutout that extends by 12mm, leaving a 3mm thick clear acrylic front. The FE card is approximately a 267mm card. These dimensions can be adjusted to fit the FE card if I'm off by a few mm. Nevertheless, the maximum card length is going to be estimated at 270mm; where the FE sits at 267mm.

Since I don't have an HDPlex AC-DC or a FE card I couldn't tell you whether both of them would fit together. The FE card is 115.7mm in height so it *might* actually fit with the HDPlex AC-DC other than using special low profile connectors. Currently my intended setup is with an Inno3D RTX 2070 Twin X2, which is 113mm in height and will also fit with the HDPlex AC-DC once it comes out. I am using low profile connectors here as well in order to fit the card and the power supply. The intent is to be able to fit normal height, full length cards, the AC-DC, and lay the HDPlex DC-ATX flat

Last edited:
Reactions: NinoPecorino

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I demand that instead of 'top hat', you name this 'front bulge'.

Better yet, budgie smuggler. Classy.

Seriously though, if you get the dimensions irl right, I think people would want it. Sometimes you gotta see it in prototype to believe.

Reactions: nyxtom and br3nd0

nyxtom

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 5, 2018
Looks like the titan xp is 272mm in length. This would extend the overall length an additional 5mm if we wanted to fit these cards as well. This would make the top hat 60mm instead of 55mm. Though it might fit under the 5mm, I would need to create the prototype and really test the dimensions. There is extra room between where the card usually is supposed to end and where the bezel starts without the top hat. Either way I think most cards are going to fit, but probably not a lot of after market cards that extend way beyond the founders edition. 270 or 272 is the limit otherwise it starts looking really weird and too much front weight.

nyxtom

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 5, 2018
Youd have to cut the case to make it thicker. And you would only really gain CPU cooler height and maybe some 2.5" drive space. I think there's a larger market for full size cards in the s4m.

This is what I thought as well. To get any reasonable use out of a thicker case like this you are looking for a taller CPU cooler, or enough room for more radiators. If it's for the latter, then it would basically double the thickness, which I don't really like.

I do have a different idea for a deskmate radiator that I'm working through; should hopefully be really polished and no bigger than the size of a book.