S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

MODZERO

Average Stuffer
Jul 9, 2016
www.instagram.com
Hey folks,

I've been out the game for a few months, got married and welcomed my son into the world... So now I'm sleep deprived and find myself with even less time to enjoy SFF goodness.

That being said, I've got a build log update coming up in the next couple days and then the finished final shots... For now, how about an SFF forum first.

A couple more with the build log here.

J.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Be patient a little while longer. Until I give you more news to be patient a while longer over.

...I'm terrible.

But seriously.
You aren't terrible. I waited months for my modmini and although I was extremely disappointed with my purchase and immediately felt buyer's remorse, I know I won't feel that from you. And I know the wait will actually be worth it this time around. Working on saving dat money in my pocket for this. I wouldn't want to buy from anyone else, (unless I wasn't working on a sff build) (which is something I may try to be working on currently on the side) (I may scrap the idea for this though I'm not sure) (I did a lot of parentheses) (I'm terrible)

Hey folks,

I've been out the game for a few months, got married and welcomed my son into the world... So now I'm sleep deprived and find myself with even less time to enjoy SFF goodness.

That being said, I've got a build log update coming up in the next couple days and then the finished final shots... For now, how about an SFF forum first.

A couple more with the build log here.

J.
J. I love your mini. And congrats on everything your build has always been an inspiration.

I wouldn't feel too bad if you didn't get an NFC S4 Mini this go around. Things are about to get very exciting around here ; )
Oh I already have a good feeling about it after dem Easter eggs I really should have merged my posts

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017
There's a few ways to mount the fan, the easiest is to reattach the fan brackets that come with the cooler as pictured here.

Im looking at its mounting situation right now and cannot figure out how he got that to stay on. When the brackets are flipped up side down they no longer align with the pinholes on the side that the tiny screws go into....help!

AP2

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 1, 2017
MOD Edit: please do not offer items for sale outside of the Buy Sell and Trade section. @AP2

Last edited by a moderator:

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
The 4th pic, it kinda looks like the noctua just resting on the vlp memory stick. I couldn't make up any tension wire or zip ties anywhere. Hot glue maybe?

hyperborea

Trash Compacter
Jan 13, 2016
Does anyone know what the production time was for the last pre-order? Is it going to be faster this time? Was really hoping to get one before the new year but I'm guessing that's a pipe dream.

Last edited:

Zerofool

Caliper Novice
Nov 23, 2015
Hey guys, I've been away from the SFF scene for a few months now and I was wondering if there are any new CPU coolers that are substantially better than the ones I'm familiar with. Last time I checked, Cryorig were preparing a copper version of the C7 cooler, what happened to that? They promised it to TAKU case backers, but now I see they've promised the regular C7 to people willing to pre-order the case.
Anyhow, I see that you guys are enthusiastic about that Titan cooler, but nobody has compared it to the LP53 or C7 yet. I took a look at the photos and immediately I got the feeling that I've seen the same heatsink under a different brand while I was researching for a cooler for my S4 mini last year. That bumpy pattern on the fins is unmistakable :). Took me 15 minutes to find it (I remember that it had a red fan) but here it is - the EverCool HPL-815, which seems to be easier to find in the US. According to FrostyTech, it performs better than both the NH-L9i and NH-L9x65, although being louder (with stock fan). Anyways, back then I decided against getting one, because it was hard to find in Europe and I wasn't really fond of dealing with customs and stuff, without having any guarantee that it's better than the LP53 or C7. But now that you guys are going to test it, I'm anxious to see the results and I'm happy that the Titan-branded model is available in the EU, should I decide to get one. Somebody confirmed that it fits on Asus Z170I (#1, #2), even though not in the optimal orientation, but still... so I'm covered ;)
Looking forward to your findings fellow maniacs :p.

Last edited:

Spacepope94

Cable Smoosher
Nov 6, 2017
So...I received the Cooljag Falcon II cooler in the mail today. I was excited to test it in my S4 Mini, but the bottom (copper portion) of the cooler is about an 1/8" away from the CPU. Am I missing something here? Has anyone tried this on a ryzen build?

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017
So...I received the Cooljag Falcon II cooler in the mail today. I was excited to test it in my S4 Mini, but the bottom (copper portion) of the cooler is about an 1/8" away from the CPU. Am I missing something here? Has anyone tried this on a ryzen build?

what brackets are you using to attach it?

Spacepope94

Cable Smoosher
Nov 6, 2017
what brackets are you using to attach it?

I never got a response when I emailed thermalright for the am4 brackets, so I purchased the thermalright universal btk from amazon. I changed the standoffs that came with the am4 bracket with some that came with the Cooljag Falcon, now the cooler is less than a 1/16th away from the top of the CPU. I'm wondering if I can use a dremel tool to shave off the difference.

Spacepope94

Cable Smoosher
Nov 6, 2017
find some washers to stack on there instead?

It's too tall I have to shorten it somehow, washers wouldn't work.

It also looks like I need ram with a height less than the ballistix sport to fit the 120mm fan.

I'm kinda bummed I won't get to test this today, but hopefully I'll get the chance to soon.

* just looked up the price for 32gb of very low profile ram from crucial...wow

Last edited:

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017
i meant take it off compeletely and use washers in its place

i got a response from varick@thermalright btw, but he keeps asking for a receipt :/