S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
That case with 2 60mm fans is most likely the x299 build he mentioned in the video. It uses a server heatsink that has to have airflow over it. At least that my best quess
Wouldn’t airflow be blocked by the daughter boards though?

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
Not sure if I’ve posted this before but for anyone who just browses the forum and is considering getting an SFF case I’d just like to say that not only is Josh a great guy but he does amazing work. The case I got from him was easily the nicest computer case I’ve ever laid my eyes on. (Also, it’s small.)

If you get anything from Josh you won’t be disappointed! Plus we’ll be here when you need help stuffing all the GHz inside.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Now the one thing that does come to my mind is if there is enough room for an HDPlex 300W AC-DC in there at 62mm x 41mm x 133mm.

If so, that would be a big game-changer for some. The original S4 mini was designed to have external power bricks to power the system, and you can only get around that if you use a very (short card <145mm) to fit a HDPLEX AC-DC on the front, or a low-profile card. The most powerful GPUs that can work with that configuration are the 1050 Ti's.

But if you can fit the AC-DC in the space in front of the motherboard, you can now go brick-less with a GTX 1060 or higher. The 300W version might be cutting it too close at its dimensions, you might need to have the front top part trimmed off, basically mod the case to fit the power supply.

Creep

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 2, 2017
Honestly, i tried the scythe fans behind the gpu, cpu, in between, blowing/sucking air and the temps got worse no matter the position/airdirection or case position. I also tried many different fans for this purpose. Now i have unused fan brackets and fans lying arround.
For me an additional fan did not improve temps at all.

Ah, shit. How are people remedying this then? I don't even have my side panels on and it's burning up (and it's 30 degrees out).

Reactions: Biowarejak

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
If so, that would be a big game-changer for some. The original S4 mini was designed to have external power bricks to power the system, and you can only get around that if you use a very (short card <145mm) to fit a HDPLEX AC-DC on the front, or a low-profile card. The most powerful GPUs that can work with that configuration are the 1050 Ti's.

But if you can fit the AC-DC in the space in front of the motherboard, you can now go brick-less with a GTX 1060 or higher. The 300W version might be cutting it too close at its dimensions, you might need to have the front top part trimmed off, basically mod the case to fit the power supply.

wait a second... LOOK AT THE SPACE between the orange circle and the motherboard?!
And... LOOK AT the space to the RIGHT of the 1080 Ti?!

... that S4 mini SEEMS WIDER and TALLER than normal? Am I crazy?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Ah, shit. How are people remedying this then? I don't even have my side panels on and it's burning up (and it's 30 degrees out).

It is soooo dependent on your particular build.

I wish computers were scientific instruments but they are more like sculptures made of cake in how they vary from one to the next.

For me, with a super neat wiring job, the Scythe fans did help with the Gigabyte 1070 mini. You need enough air gap between the backside of the GPU and the fan for air to move out. If the fan touches the GPU, then all you are doing is putting a hot fan motor and more plastic over the backside of a very angry GPU. Some GPUs with their backplates or metal bits don't work well with a fan there.

Also, you need the 1900+ fans from Scythe. The 1600 low speed fan will do nothing but make things hotter and add noise.

I hope this helps a little bit.

Peace

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
wait a second... LOOK AT THE SPACE between the orange circle and the motherboard?!

I really believe so. Just eyeballing it here, but the rounded rectangle opening for the mobo tray extends further out. But more importantly, the Zotac 1080 Ti Mini now fits completely inside of the frame with no modding required. So I'm suspecting that the size changes are more for the purpose of fitting the Zotac Minis.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017

That's because it's not an s4.. lol we have been talking about this for days bro XD little late to the party ;)

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
Hey all, I'm back with some new projects.

First off, Josh was mentioning he didn't know people with much experience using the G-Unique with a 1080ti; just so ya know I've been using the G-Unique (the most expensive version, not that I consider it expensive, it was something like $60-ish I think which is a bargain for the quality) with my 1080ti Founders Edition, overclocked as high as it can remain stable (+200hz I think and more on the ram), for months now. It's handled some crazy stuff like Destiny 2 on my 3440x1440 120hz Dell Gsync monitor, driving the game at 120fps with supersampled resolution, and other stuff. The G-Unique barely gets warm. It runs off a passive Meanwell HEP-600-12 passive-cooled AC adapter that I screwed in under my desk so I can't have to see it. The whole system is fine pulling over 450 watts for hours on end, the G-Unique and Meanwell barely get warm, and both have no coil whine at all. No downside to anything except that the Meanwell is big and expensive, then again it is silent and super reliable with a long warranty. You could buy the G-Unique modded Dell adapter to save some money too, sounds janky but this PSU has such fantastic workmanship, design, and high quality components that I'd trust his Dell adapter too.

Back to my stuff:

I have an 8700k on the way, I bought one and shipped it straight to this place SiliconLottery.com, who for around $45 with shipping included, will delid the chip, apply liquid metal TIM between the chip and heat spreader, and then glue them back together with black adhesive so it looks like it came from the factory. I'm giving up my warranty for better temps, but SiliconLottery has replacements on hand if they ever mess up a chip, and they've been in business a while, so the procedure is risk free this way.

For the cooling solution this time, I went and got a Dynatron T318 all-copper vapor chamber heatsink: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A21361W

This is of course a 2011 socket heatsink, so I'm trying to mod it on to the 1151 socket. If I hold it over the motherboard (Asus Z370-i), it will physically fit without hitting any components, I just need to figure out what mounting hardware I can use to mod it to those holes. I might go with a combination of zip ties and maybe something 3D printed? That's what I'm trying to figure out, all ears if anyone has ideas.

The cooler is 106mm x 82mm x 27mm high, since it is so short, I can switch out the 140x13mm Cryorig fan I have for the better-specced 140x15mm Prolimatech Ultrasleek Vortex. That runs a lower native RPM and I believe has more static pressure due to the higher blade count.

It would be nice if some simple brackets existed, sort of like swing arms, that would screw in to the four 1151 holes and branch outwards to fall over where the 2011 heatsink holes are.

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
I really hope that new mini keeps the wrap around bezel. I noticed it wasn’t in the sky wire video and I actually really liked the bezel lol.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
@Josh | NFC or anyone else who knows: will the SkyWire Cables 24pin ever be back in stock in your store? If not, do you know of another place where i can buy such a cable? Thanks!