S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Hey if you hit a wall, I'll dig up my Noctua email from a guy who went ahead and sold me a set when I told him what I wanted to do with them :)
I got the hookup, apparently the rep who I got in contact with shared the idea with the CEO and he loved it so they sent me the 2 fans, a y-splitter cable, and an extension for the fans free-of-charge too! I also got my thermal pad in today as well. Just waiting on my Original Black (Grade C) wrap around from Josh to come in.

Reactions: Biowarejak

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017
I got the hookup, apparently the rep who I got in contact with shared the idea with the CEO and he loved it so they sent me the 2 fans, a y-splitter cable, and an extension for the fans free-of-charge too! I also got my thermal pad in today as well. Just waiting on my Original Black (Grade C) wrap around from Josh to come in.
Congrats!

Also heads up for anyone wanting black fans. I just finished my 1080/7700k build with three of these and so far so good!

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de92af1.html

3pin goes up to 3500rpm and 51cfm.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Unless you are over-volting your RAM above the standard 1.2V or 1.35V for OC'ed RAM, you are not going to be needing heatsinks on your RAM anyway. That's why they are more about flash than performance.

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
So I'm debating if I should go with a i5 7500 or a i5 8400. I'd imagine the 7500 would run cooler because 2 less cores or am I wrong?

The 8400 may run a bit hotter and consume a bit more power but an almost 50% increase in multithreaded performance is a fairly substantial increase for not too much of a trade off. I don’t think you would have any issues cooling it in an S4 Mini with the noctua L9i cooler.

Last edited:

Creep

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 2, 2017
Unless you are over-volting your RAM above the standard 1.2V or 1.35V for OC'ed RAM, you are not going to be needing heatsinks on your RAM anyway. That's why they are more about flash than performance.

Thanks. Been playing some Black Ops 3 on it - fully assembled and closed up - and I've had random days where I think high temps. were crashing the client. It was so on and off that I kept forgetting about it. I'll have to check the CPU.

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
How do you guys feel about reusing this, or is it a no go? I can’t see any damage to any pins or anything just the pcb. Totally just gorilla fisted this thing out not thinking about what I was doing.

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017
These parts just fell into the s4. The build was almost to easy and the broken pin bridge doesn’t seem to have affected a thing. Really pleased with how this turned out. So much easier than working with the hdplex 400

Hey can you post thermals for the gpu and mobo with and without the use of that 120mm?

Thinking of snagging one to try on the back of a Gigabyte 1080 Mini and to give more room to breath in the case. (If anyone wants a Zotac 1080 Mini I'll have one up for grabs soon ;) )

But yea, curious if the fan really helps or not? Slick build!

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
Hey can you post thermals for the gpu and mobo with and without the use of that 120mm?

Thinking of snagging one to try on the back of a Gigabyte 1080 Mini and to give more room to breath in the case. (If anyone wants a Zotac 1080 Mini I'll have one up for grabs soon ;) )

But yea, curious if the fan really helps or not? Slick build!

I can tell you from previous experience that it doesn’t do anything to help at all. But I will try it out again later as I added a low noise adapter so maybe slowing it down some will help. Mostly I just think it looks better than the back of the gpu pcb

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017
I can tell you from previous experience that it doesn’t do anything to help at all. But I will try it out again later as I added a low noise adapter so maybe slowing it down some will help. Mostly I just think it looks better than the back of the gpu pcb
Thanks! :)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I don't know if the Noctua fan does much for some cards. The 2200 Scythe Kaze Slim (even the 1600) does, however. It is 3.2mm slimmer and air can flow over the card and escape. The difference for the Gigabyte 1070 off the back PCB is significant. Core temperatures don't move much.

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017
I don't know if the Noctua fan does much for some cards. The 2200 Scythe Kaze Slim (even the 1600) does, however. It is 3.2mm slimmer and air can flow over the card and escape. The difference for the Gigabyte 1070 off the back PCB is significant. Core temperatures don't move much.

Would you suggest pulling air in with the Scythe or blowing out?
The Gigabyte 1080 Mini also doesn't have a back plate, and I have a spare thin Scythe fan on hand. Just waiting for the card to come in.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Would you suggest pulling air in with the Scythe or blowing out?
The Gigabyte 1080 Mini also doesn't have a back plate, and I have a spare thin Scythe fan on hand. Just waiting for the card to come in.

I did many builds with the Gigabyte 1070 last year (this year its almost exclusively been the 1080 and 1080ti from Zotac) and having the Scythe push air over the back of the Gigabyte cards was a great boon.

Reactions: SkudShark