S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

palace97

Trash Compacter
Sep 6, 2017
If anyone can help, that'll be greatly appreciated! So I've just finished up my s4 mini build and have ran into a small problem, everything works perfectly however when i begin to switch on the PC, a red light shows on the motherboard and there's no display showing on my monitor so nearly every time i turn on my PC from when the mains is switched off this occurs. So i end up having to unplug the cable from the power brick and plug it back in so that the pc turns on and works as it should with display showing etc. This is annoying and don't fancy doing this every time i switch on the mains to turn on my pc and plugging out the power brick cable as this can damage the parts inside as they're still running as the on/off switch on the s4 mini doesn't work when this issue occurs. I know there is not a enough information to go on finding the correct solution to fix this, but if anyone has had this problem, please let me know how you fixed it. My guess at the moment is the power brick as i purchased it off "adaptor family" for £56.00 which could mean it's a refurb even though it was stated as new and genuine. Also it's the Dell DA330PM111 330w brick. If the power brick, ac adapter is the source of the problem, please can you recommend me where to purchase another from, preferably from a UK retailer. Would purchase off dell but its £145 and takes 2-3 weeks to arrive. Thanks, kieran!

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
If anyone can help, that'll be greatly appreciated! So I've just finished up my s4 mini build and have ran into a small problem, everything works perfectly however when i begin to switch on the PC, a red light shows on the motherboard and there's no display showing on my monitor so nearly every time i turn on my PC from when the mains is switched off this occurs. So i end up having to unplug the cable from the power brick and plug it back in so that the pc turns on and works as it should with display showing etc. This is annoying and don't fancy doing this every time i switch on the mains to turn on my pc and plugging out the power brick cable as this can damage the parts inside as they're still running as the on/off switch on the s4 mini doesn't work when this issue occurs. I know there is not a enough information to go on finding the correct solution to fix this, but if anyone has had this problem, please let me know how you fixed it. My guess at the moment is the power brick as i purchased it off "adaptor family" for £56.00 which could mean it's a refurb even though it was stated as new and genuine. Also it's the Dell DA330PM111 330w brick. If the power brick, ac adapter is the source of the problem, please can you recommend me where to purchase another from, preferably from a UK retailer. Would purchase off dell but its £145 and takes 2-3 weeks to arrive. Thanks, kieran!

What motherboard? Is your bios completely up to date? Are you running overclocked RAM?

palace97

Trash Compacter
Sep 6, 2017
@Reldey the motherboard i'm using is the Asus z270i strix and nothing in my setup is overclocked, ram is kingston hyper x ddr4 2666mhz. Unsure if the bios is completely up to date, how do i check and update it if i need to? thanks

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
@Reldey the motherboard i'm using is the Asus z270i strix and nothing in my setup is overclocked, ram is kingston hyper x ddr4 2666mhz. Unsure if the bios is completely up to date, how do i check and update it if i need to? thanks
Yeah I have the same setup, and have had some cold boot problems. Go to this link: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-Strix-Z270I-Gaming/HelpDesk_Download/

Download the latest bios, unzip and place it at the root of your C: drive. Boot into the bios settings, go to the bios utility (probably under advanced settings, can't remember) and select the file locally on the C: drive. Should fix your problem.

Reactions: Biowarejak

palace97

Trash Compacter
Sep 6, 2017
Thanks @Reldey i might be doing it wrong but when i open up the file in the bios it says unable to read, is the utility under the tools menu in advanced mode? thank you so much for your help and if this is the solution, i'll be so happy hahaha

Illoominatty

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 14, 2017
So what CPU to go with now that the i3 8350k competes with the i7 7700k? I'm stuck on the i3 8350k, i5 8600k, i7 8700 (non "K") and ryzen 5 1600x? What are ya'll going with or have already and or what do you suggest? Wattage ins't an issue for me just thermals.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
So what CPU to go with now that the i3 8350k competes with the i7 7700k? I'm stuck on the i3 8350k, i5 8600k, i7 8700 (non "K") and ryzen 5 1600x? What are ya'll going with or have already and or what do you suggest? Wattage ins't an issue for me just thermals.

Honestly, I would go with none of those. I would choose Ryzen 1700. My second choice would be the 8700 (65w).

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
The 1600X is waaaaay more cost efficient, but it's not the CPU I would buy. The 1700 is out of the box the best drop-in choice for AMD for the MINI, in my opinion, if dollars don't matter.

Illoominatty

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 14, 2017
The 1600X is waaaaay more cost efficient, but it's not the CPU I would buy. The 1700 is out of the box the best drop-in choice for AMD for the MINI, in my opinion, if dollars don't matter.
I guess I'll just have to see how thermals are with the new 8 series once someone tests it in the s4 mini. But I believe the i3 8350k and the 8600k is the best bang for the buck.

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017

Are you using the HDPLEX400? I have read that others have had similar problems due to the HDPLEX

Haulien

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2016
Wish I had a few mm extra above the graphics card for 15mm drives without the need for thermal tape... Imagine this beast with 2 of those 5TB Barracudas. Ultimate PC in a console form factor!

Reactions: nph84