S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Wish I had a few mm extra above the graphics card for 15mm drives without the need for thermal tape... Imagine this beast with 2 of those 5TB Barracudas. Ultimate PC in a console form factor!
DUDE, I have that 5TB 15mm drive in my S4 on the back of my 1080 mini, that 1080 mini has a HUGE backplate too.. I'm sure you can fit it too!

In fact, check my build thread and my last update in there (link in my sig) to see a mod i did to remedy an issue i had from teh thick 15mm drive pushing down my GPU when the side panels were closed. :)

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Creep

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 2, 2017
Anyone have advice on this particular situation? The plugs on my Vandal switch come just barely short of my 24pin CPU plug. I had to remove the original clamps and heat shrink because they were too long. I'm afraid to bend the Vandal plugs and an angle at all in fear of snapping them.

Get smaller clamps?
P [/IMG] I just added the front bezel and it gave a little room, but it's still real right.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Anyone have advice on this particular situation? The plugs on my Vandal switch come just barely short of my 24pin CPU plug. I had to remove the original clamps and heat shrink because they were too long. I'm afraid to bend the Vandal plugs and an angle at all in fear of snapping them.

Get smaller clamps?
P [/IMG] I just added the front bezel and it gave a little room, but it's still real right.

Yeah, I really don't understand why these switches are as big as they are. Mine also interferes with my PSU cable, just had to carefully rotate and bend it out of the way.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
How close are we talking here? Days? Weeks? Light years? Come on josh....

All of the above.

I wish it was a simple answer. I have some health problems that are getting in the way of things, and I am working with some cool dudes on this forum to make deliveries and stocking on the MINI more smooth and less of a dumb waiting game.

As for the vandal switches, I haven't done a super good job of helping people choose the right one. I now have three sizes:

1. SHORT
These are what most people should choose for their builds if they have the stock bezel and don't want to fool with bending and routing. These do not have LEDs as they would not be able to fit the resistor required. This is what I recommended as default, but very few people want them as they desire an LED. These also were the highest quality depress.

2. DEEP (medium)
These have a white LED and are a teeny bit longer than the short switches and juuuuuuust are deep enough to fit the 3D bezel and have the nut barely thread on. These are a good compromise as they are much shorter than the long. These are the default size now on my website.

3. LONG (classic LED)
These are the long LED switches that you find everywhere online. They are really long, and some people have trouble fitting them. I do consider them compatible with the stock S4 MINI, and I have done many many builds with all sorts of motherboards, but keep in mind the S4 MINI is targeted at advanced users who can use a heatgun to angle the cable. Because of complaints, I have switched to the DEEP (Medium) switch and only sell the LONG switches as part of the 1080ti bezel kit.

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried using the NH-L9I without the included fan, using only the 120mm case fan to cool it? How well does such a configuration perform?

Reactions: Biowarejak

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
All of the above.

I wish it was a simple answer. I have some health problems that are getting in the way of things, and I am working with some cool dudes on this forum to make deliveries and stocking on the MINI more smooth and less of a dumb waiting game.

As for the vandal switches, I haven't done a super good job of helping people choose the right one. I now have three sizes:

1. SHORT
These are what most people should choose for their builds if they have the stock bezel and don't want to fool with bending and routing. These do not have LEDs as they would not be able to fit the resistor required. This is what I recommended as default, but very few people want them as they desire an LED. These also were the highest quality depress.

2. DEEP (medium)
These have a white LED and are a teeny bit longer than the short switches and juuuuuuust are deep enough to fit the 3D bezel and have the nut barely thread on. These are a good compromise as they are much shorter than the long. These are the default size now on my website.

3. LONG (classic LED)
These are the long LED switches that you find everywhere online. They are really long, and some people have trouble fitting them. I do consider them compatible with the stock S4 MINI, and I have done many many builds with all sorts of motherboards, but keep in mind the S4 MINI is targeted at advanced users who can use a heatgun to angle the cable. Because of complaints, I have switched to the DEEP (Medium) switch and only sell the LONG switches as part of the 1080ti bezel kit.

Interesting, i personally find even the short version to be pretty long, as far as how much the button's components stick into the inside of the case. I also personally haven't been a big fan of the lack of tactile feedback present in the switches. Is there a particular reason why these anti-vandal switches seem to be so preferred within the community? I just haven't been particularly impressed with their feel and compactness, but do like their look.

Haulien

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2016
DUDE, I have that 5TB 15mm drive in my S4 on the back of my 1080 mini, that 1080 mini has a HUGE backplate too.. I'm sure you can fit it too!

In fact, check my build thread and my last update in there (link in my sig) to see a mod i did to remedy an issue i had from teh thick 15mm drive pushing down my GPU when the side panels were closed. :)

It's not so much about it pushing down on the GPU, but for me it's more of an issue of there being no clearance between the drive and the GPU itself. Though temp wise it'd be fine with kapton tape or something, it just still worries me :)

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Interesting, i personally find even the short version to be pretty long, as far as how much the button's components stick into the inside of the case. I also personally haven't been a big fan of the lack of tactile feedback present in the switches. Is there a particular reason why these anti-vandal switches seem to be so preferred within the community? I just haven't been particularly impressed with their feel and compactness, but do like their look.
The (Deep) Medium buttons that have the white LED that Josh mentioned actually have WAY more tacticle feedback than the SHORT vandal switches. FYI

I know this since I ordered a black non-LED one from josh and a white LED one from him too, and I switched to the white LED one and just unplugged the LED light power cable on it, because I FELL IN LOVE with the amount of deep/tactile feedback it gave when pushing it over the non-LED one.
It's not so much about it pushing down on the GPU, but for me it's more of an issue of there being no clearance between the drive and the GPU itself. Though temp wise it'd be fine with kapton tape or something, it just still worries me :)
My HDD temps are fine, they probably are maybe 3-4c higher when teh GPU has been at full load for a time, but thats it.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com

I stopped selling black switches because they didn't have the same feel as the silver ones. As for tactile feedback, it really depends on what you are looking for. There are clicky models, but I prefer shallow and smooth.

I just want @iFreilicht to nail his RGB button and sell it already. :)

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
@Josh | NFC Is the default front panel replaced if one were to order the 3D bezel when ordering the case? Or do you get both? I'm trying to get ready for when the order-window is opened and ideally I want the regular panel but planning to order the 3D bezel as well in case I want to get a GPU that requires the extra space it provides!

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
@Josh | NFC Is the default front panel replaced if one were to order the 3D bezel when ordering the case? Or do you get both? I'm trying to get ready for when the order-window is opened and ideally I want the regular panel but planning to order the 3D bezel as well in case I want to get a GPU that requires the extra space it provides!
That's a really good question. Because @Josh | NFC I was wondering what you did with my original wrap-around,since I got my case with the AMAZING limited edition 5mm Frosted Acrylic bezel w/vent hole and dinoc vent cover.... did your CNC come in since we last talked about it in Feb?

(SNIP)..I'll email ya!

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com

If you order an S4 MINI and a 3D bezel, you get both in the same box.

Thank you for your question. :)

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
So I managed to sell my 1080 strix card for much more than I originally anticipated. Now I'm stuck on deciding on the replacement. Zotac 1080 mini or Zotac 1080ti mini? As of now I'm pretty set on a i5 7500 as it will be my "game anywhere" computer. And I know the ti will fit and I know I can power it but what I don't know is how are the thermals on the 1080ti? I'd hate to spring for the better card just to have the fans always ramped up and roaring. Has anyone put the Zotac 1080ti mini in the s4 mini yet?

EDIT: went back a few months and seen that it has been done. Very reassuring

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Honestly the biggest factor in this decision is thermals and how loud it is. So whatever one runs cooler takes the cake. I'll just have to do some research.

Hey Springer,

I've build enough of both now to know the differences between the two. I've been TRYING to make a video on it as its actually involved if you go with the 1080ti...but finding the time.

Anywho.

The 1080ti is so much faster that I originally thought I did my benchmarks wrong. I actually waited to get a 1080 mini in the office at the same time so I could compare them directly. Then I decided to wait until I had the whole lineup and completely redid my benchmark wall and thermal tests. If you want pure performance, and you actually play games that can take advantage of it with your monitor, then the 1080ti is definitely the card for you, but it comes at a cost.

• The 1080ti mini is more expensive than the 1080 mini
  • You need to mod a very expensive power supply or buy an insanely expensive power supply
  • You need to replace the connectors on said power supplies and the HDPLEX DC-IN jack, and this particular solder is challenging.
  • The 1080ti is MUCH hotter than the 1080 mini
  • The 1080ti is MUCH louder than the 1080 mini, in both fan noise and electrical noise
  • The 1080ti is harder to install in the S4 MINI, but when you know the technique this shouldn't be a roadblock.
You can figure out the cost, but the difference in my S4 BOMs between a 1080ti and a 1080 build, all else equal, is $668. So you need to determine if the speed increase is worth $668 and those above bullet points.

But again...the raw power is unbelieveable. However, if I was to choose between the two, I would definitely go for the 1080 mini, which is one of the very best GPUs available for the S4 MINI. It runs cooler than any of the 1070s I have tested, especially the backside, which is important I think if you have SSDs (or forbid, HDDs) installed. With the right tweaking (and bios) it can be made to run VERY quiet most of the time. It is already very fast, and is overkill for my 2560x1440 60hz monitor even with games that allow oversampling like SOM and PUBG. The best part is, although it is still expensive, it is the ONLY reasonably priced enthusiast GPU right now thanks to those etherium miners.

But for me, it comes down to the temperature. While I still would choose the 1060 (I've actually been rocking a 1050ti as of late in my main S4) the 1080 mini from Zotac is really a special card. Especially considering their 1060 and 1070 mini cards are .... yucky.

My 2C

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Hey Springer,

I've build enough of both now to know the differences between the two. I've been TRYING to make a video on it as its actually involved if you go with the 1080ti...but finding the time.

Anywho.

The 1080ti is so much faster that I originally thought I did my benchmarks wrong. I actually waited to get a 1080 mini in the office at the same time so I could compare them directly. Then I decided to wait until I had the whole lineup and completely redid my benchmark wall and thermal tests. If you want pure performance, and you actually play games that can take advantage of it with your monitor, then the 1080ti is definitely the card for you, but it comes at a cost.

• The 1080ti mini is more expensive than the 1080 mini
  • You need to mod a very expensive power supply or buy an insanely expensive power supply
  • You need to replace the connectors on said power supplies and the HDPLEX DC-IN jack, and this particular solder is challenging.
  • The 1080ti is MUCH hotter than the 1080 mini
  • The 1080ti is MUCH louder than the 1080 mini, in both fan noise and electrical noise
  • The 1080ti is harder to install in the S4 MINI, but when you know the technique this shouldn't be a roadblock.
You can figure out the cost, but the difference in my S4 BOMs between a 1080ti and a 1080 build, all else equal, is $668. So you need to determine if the speed increase is worth $668 and those above bullet points.

But again...the raw power is unbelieveable. However, if I was to choose between the two, I would definitely go for the 1080 mini, which is one of the very best GPUs available for the S4 MINI. It runs cooler than any of the 1070s I have tested, especially the backside, which is important I think if you have SSDs (or forbid, HDDs) installed. With the right tweaking (and bios) it can be made to run VERY quiet most of the time. It is already very fast, and is overkill for my 2560x1440 60hz monitor even with games that allow oversampling like SOM and PUBG. The best part is, although it is still expensive, it is the ONLY reasonably priced enthusiast GPU right now thanks to those etherium miners.

But for me, it comes down to the temperature. While I still would choose the 1060 (I've actually been rocking a 1050ti as of late in my main S4) the 1080 mini from Zotac is really a special card. Especially considering their 1060 and 1070 mini cards are .... yucky.

My 2C

Do you happen to have a tuning guide for the 1080 Mini, or just some general settings you could share?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Do you happen to have a tuning guide for the 1080 Mini, or just some general settings you could share?

@CubanLegend is the master here, and I just follow in his footsteps. I'm sure he will link you to his guide below, and I need to add it to the first page of this thread, where I have a wiki I am compiling (and could use everyone's help).