S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Do you happen to have a tuning guide for the 1080 Mini, or just some general settings you could share?
Hey bro, what exactly are you trying to tune on your 1080 mini? Knowing your setup with the dual Noctua slim 92mm fans with zip-ties on your 1080 mini... you have more flexibility with how quiet and how cool your card can run. Are you looking to increase performance, lower heat and power usage?

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
Hey Springer,

I've build enough of both now to know the differences between the two. I've been TRYING to make a video on it as its actually involved if you go with the 1080ti...but finding the time.

Anywho.

The 1080ti is so much faster that I originally thought I did my benchmarks wrong. I actually waited to get a 1080 mini in the office at the same time so I could compare them directly. Then I decided to wait until I had the whole lineup and completely redid my benchmark wall and thermal tests. If you want pure performance, and you actually play games that can take advantage of it with your monitor, then the 1080ti is definitely the card for you, but it comes at a cost.

• The 1080ti mini is more expensive than the 1080 mini
  • You need to mod a very expensive power supply or buy an insanely expensive power supply
  • You need to replace the connectors on said power supplies and the HDPLEX DC-IN jack, and this particular solder is challenging.
  • The 1080ti is MUCH hotter than the 1080 mini
  • The 1080ti is MUCH louder than the 1080 mini, in both fan noise and electrical noise
  • The 1080ti is harder to install in the S4 MINI, but when you know the technique this shouldn't be a roadblock.
You can figure out the cost, but the difference in my S4 BOMs between a 1080ti and a 1080 build, all else equal, is $668. So you need to determine if the speed increase is worth $668 and those above bullet points.

But again...the raw power is unbelieveable. However, if I was to choose between the two, I would definitely go for the 1080 mini, which is one of the very best GPUs available for the S4 MINI. It runs cooler than any of the 1070s I have tested, especially the backside, which is important I think if you have SSDs (or forbid, HDDs) installed. With the right tweaking (and bios) it can be made to run VERY quiet most of the time. It is already very fast, and is overkill for my 2560x1440 60hz monitor even with games that allow oversampling like SOM and PUBG. The best part is, although it is still expensive, it is the ONLY reasonably priced enthusiast GPU right now thanks to those etherium miners.

But for me, it comes down to the temperature. While I still would choose the 1060 (I've actually been rocking a 1050ti as of late in my main S4) the 1080 mini from Zotac is really a special card. Especially considering their 1060 and 1070 mini cards are .... yucky.

My 2C

All of those are some very good points thank you for such a thorough response.

My current display is 3440×1440 100hz so the ti would definitely be putting in some work but on the other hand I have been using a 1080 on this display for the past year almost so I know it will be just fine.

As for powering it if I went for the ti I figured the most logical solution was getting a g-unique setup good for 400-450 watts.

But with all that being said I think now the choice is easy as pie. I'm gonna go with the 1080

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
guys, things are preliminary but I did the epoxy mod on my HDPLEX-300 yesterday, and by the time I'm home from work today it'l be past 24hours and the epoxy will be fully cured... I did some preliminary coil whine tests and...

...I think I lowered the volume of the coil whine by 70-80%. I'm SUPER excited!

I will double check again today and post an update and pre/post videos i took of identical coil whine situations, same setup and camera distance. GET HYPED!

Reactions: Biowarejak

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
Hey Springer,

I've build enough of both now to know the differences between the two. I've been TRYING to make a video on it as its actually involved if you go with the 1080ti...but finding the time.

Anywho.

The 1080ti is so much faster that I originally thought I did my benchmarks wrong. I actually waited to get a 1080 mini in the office at the same time so I could compare them directly. Then I decided to wait until I had the whole lineup and completely redid my benchmark wall and thermal tests. If you want pure performance, and you actually play games that can take advantage of it with your monitor, then the 1080ti is definitely the card for you, but it comes at a cost.

• You need to mod a very expensive power supply or buy an insanely expensive power supply
  • You need to replace the connectors on said power supplies and the HDPLEX DC-IN jack, and this particular solder is challenging.
  • The 1080ti is MUCH louder than the 1080 mini, in both fan noise and electrical noise
  • The 1080ti is harder to install in the S4 MINI, but when you know the technique this shouldn't be a roadblock.
You can figure out the cost, but the difference in my S4 BOMs between a 1080ti and a 1080 build, all else equal, is $668. So you need to determine if the speed increase is worth $668 and those above bullet points.

But again...the raw power is unbelieveable. However, if I was to choose between the two, I would definitely go for the 1080 mini, which is one of the very best GPUs available for the S4 MINI. It runs cooler than any of the 1070s I have tested, especially the backside, which is important I think if you have SSDs (or forbid, HDDs) installed. With the right tweaking (and bios) it can be made to run VERY quiet most of the time. It is already very fast, and is overkill for my 2560x1440 60hz monitor even with games that allow oversampling like SOM and PUBG. The best part is, although it is still expensive, it is the ONLY reasonably priced enthusiast GPU right now thanks to those etherium miners.

But for me, it comes down to the temperature. While I still would choose the 1060 (I've actually been rocking a 1050ti as of late in my main S4) the 1080 mini from Zotac is really a special card. Especially considering their 1060 and 1070 mini cards are .... yucky.

My 2C

Do you use 1060 Mini or regular 1060? :)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I wish I didn't miss the last preorder for this case....maybe I can find someone with one that isn't overpriced

There will be pre-orders and hopefully deliveries before the end of the year. I'm hoping to beat Intel to shipping my 8700 cpus. ;)

I do have some MINIs I will be selling soon too, for normal prices, but I need to get my ducks in a row and be sure I have enough for my full build customers.

Thank you for your patience. I don't want you to pay huge amounts for a second hand one either...heck, I don't want you to pay huge amounts for a new one.

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
There will be pre-orders and hopefully deliveries before the end of the year. I'm hoping to beat Intel to shipping my 8700 cpus. ;)

I do have some MINIs I will be selling soon too, for normal prices, but I need to get my ducks in a row and be sure I have enough for my full build customers.

Thank you for your patience. I don't want you to pay huge amounts for a second hand one either...heck, I don't want you to pay huge amounts for a new one.

Is there a difference between your pre-orders and the MINIs you'll be selling soon? Or is that just an example of me not being a native English speaker? :D

hyperborea

Trash Compacter
Jan 13, 2016

Hey Josh-- what do you mean by "full build customers"? Is this an option you can choose instead of preordering just the chassis? I'm also very interested in getting one before the end of the year if you do have extra stock...

Cheers

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Hey Springer,

Anywho.

My 2C
Man, it's posts like these that really set the NFC brand apart from a random clone. I wish I could give that post the 100 likes it deserves, top info right there.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Hey Josh-- what do you mean by "full build customers"? Is this an option you can choose instead of preordering just the chassis? I'm also very interested in getting one before the end of the year if you do have extra stock...

Cheers
Josh does full build systems with custom mods if you desires. Contact him via the nfc site and you can get that going.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I would have linked your build but i was on the way out of the house lol. While we are on the subject would you recommend for anyone else to do it? Or just stick with the 7mm 2tb model?
I recommend it, but be ready for your S4 mini side panel to have a very slight bump, but if you screw all the screws in tight, it almost completely dissapears.

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
Two more pre-purchase questions:

1. How does people do with dust-filters? Don't have them? Or have you done some special solution for that? I imagine with all those vents, a lot of dust enters the case?

2. Even if you, right now, begin with a 1060/1060 mini, would you recommend getting the HDPLEX 400W if I'm unsure if I want to upgrade to a more powerful GPU in the future? Or do you still recommend the 160W Pico?

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
Two more pre-purchase questions:

1. How does people do with dust-filters? Don't have them? Or have you done some special solution for that? I imagine with all those vents, a lot of dust enters the case?

2. Even if you, right now, begin with a 1060/1060 mini, would you recommend getting the HDPLEX 400W if I'm unsure if I want to upgrade to a more powerful GPU in the future? Or do you still recommend the 160W Pico?

Josh's thoughts on Dust Filters for the MINI
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/nfc-systems-s4-mini.96/page-10#post-8385

As for the PSU it's preference. Personally I would go with the best one you can afford. The less you strain the PSU the less heat it will out put and if you do end up upgrading down the road it's just one less thing to buy